PDA

View Full Version : Torn

funkedelic2
02-01-2009, 02:51 AM
Looking into getting a new car soon and i am not sure what route i want to go down yet. Maybe i can get some insight from some of you to help me make my choice.

I know that my next car will be a Euro, i looked into getting a new evo, sti and i also considered the s2000 and g35/350z. One car that really caught my attention was the Audi s5. However i don't think it is a good buy for the price. It may be one of the most beautiful cars i have seen for a long time but i don't think you get enough car when you take its competitors in its class into consideration.

I think i want to stick with BMW, more specifically the e92 335i. Although the car isn't the best looking car out there, it does have a great motor, tons of potential and rivals the s5. The price for an 07/08 is also a plus.

I was almost certain that this was going to be the right car for me, but now i am unsure about it because i don't know if i should hold off for the M3. I haven't driven a new M3 so i don't know if paying the extra money is worth it. Hopefully somebody that has driven both can chime in and let me know if there is a huge difference between them. I want to know that the extra 20k or so is justified.

If i were to pick up an e92 M3 it wouldn't be until next year because it is out of my budget at the moment and i would have save as much as possible. I could get a new 335i in time for spring, but i don' know if i should go all out. If i go for an M3 i would just be picking up a 3-5k car in the meantime.

I would be doing M3 upgrades to the 335i, but yet it will never be an M3. So i guess i have to decide if that badge is really worth it or not.

Opinions..

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-01-2009, 03:00 AM
Save your money and buy a house?

Personally I love your current M3, my all time fav for any M series I've seen. The color is amazing IMO. I don't know why you'd want to get rid of it, but really that's your call.

I haven't driven either e92's, but it's beyond, so here's my opinion anyways:

Get the 335. It's almost as fast in a straight line, and unless your planning lots and lots of track time, I can't see why you'd really need all the extras an M3 offers. Plus the boy racer in me loves the red interior.

Use the extra money to mod, invest, or go towards a project car?

max_boost
02-01-2009, 03:20 AM
Buy a house? That would be good advice 3 years ago but now, stay the fuck away unless you want to see your property value slowly eroded away due to a deepening recession. ;)

Anyway, my wife test drove a Dinan 335i and a stock M3, in her words, 335 FTW! She said it felt way faster, enjoyed the driving experience and didn't really care for the M3?:dunno:

Used 335's are affordable, tonnes of aftermarket support and generally very nice cars except everyone has one lol

The S5 is fantastic and all but damn Audi's and their non friendly lease/finance rates!

If I were you, screw the S5, screw the 335, forget about the M3 and go straight to Lone Star and check out their White C63 with premium package. It's such an amazing piece of machinery. I'm torn as I want it badly but I'm so reluctant to part with my SLK. I might just go and buy it and worry about it later but all this recession stuff has got me a bit worried too. My business is unaffected so far but who knows. Better play it on the safe side. That is unless I can correctly short the S&P over the next few months and cash in on gold and then I'm so there!
:rofl:

max_boost
02-01-2009, 03:22 AM
BTW, redlyne_mr2 has a white 08 335XI coupe with low kms at Lexus of Calgary. I think it was only $43k.

funkedelic2
02-01-2009, 03:29 AM
New house isn't in the cards not for maybe 2 years or so. I want to finish school before anything and then worry about that. Like Max boost mentioned, also not a good time to be buying right now, although houses are cheaper down here then in Calgary.

Maybe i need to test drive them both myself soon. The Dinan 335i is almost as much as the M3, at least one that i was looking at a little while ago. (I don't see any e90s down here either so thats a plus for me)

C63 would be nice, not a real MB fan but maybe something i should look into. Link to that white one?

funkedelic2
02-01-2009, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
BTW, redlyne_mr2 has a white 08 335XI coupe with low kms at Lexus of Calgary. I think it was only $43k.

Yeah i spoke to him about that one. Nice car but very few options on the car, no sport or premium and it is auto without paddles.

max_boost
02-01-2009, 03:33 AM
Here are tonnes of pictures of what it would look like.
http://www.autounleashed.com/photo-gallery-white-mercedes-benz-c63-amg

It's about $74k all said and done. So nice though. :drool:

funkedelic2
02-01-2009, 03:36 AM
Here are tonnes of pictures of what it would look like.
http://www.autounleashed.com/photo-gallery-white-mercedes-benz-c63-amg

It's about $74k all said and done. So nice though. :drool:

:drool: sexy car no doubt about that. Tell ya what, you sell me your SLK and you can pick up this c63 :thumbsup:

JAYMEZ
02-01-2009, 03:37 AM
^^^ Hmmmm i like ... uh oh . :banghead:

max_boost
02-01-2009, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

:drool: sexy car no doubt about that. Tell ya what, you sell me your SLK and you can pick up this c63 :thumbsup:

lol

Well if you are serious and want to talk, send me a PM.

Graham_A_M
02-01-2009, 11:37 AM
I was going to say Lone star benz, in the Calgary automall has some really nice SLK's and SL's in their used section, as well as a few AMG's.
:bigpimp:

Rather then get an S2k, if you want to stick with BMW, get a '09 Z4. Its QUITE the car I've been told on the z4 forum by a few industry insiders. :dunno:

bigboom
02-01-2009, 11:55 AM
i test drove the e90m3 and a e92 and e90 335i. For me the M3 wins. I love the sound the V8 makes and its got instant torque. The steering wheel is also the best wheel I've felt to date. Personally I almost bought an M3 back in November only because the lease payments were $50 a month or so off from the 335's, would I say its worth the extra $20k? Yes.

The 335i is nice and has some go but then you lose the LSD which to me is a deal breaker on a rwd vehicle. you may not notice the difference all the time as the vdc does a great job of covering it up most of the time but you will notice it every now and then. Also hearing about all the fuel pump issues and cooling issues on the 335's made me stay away.

96integra
02-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Graham_A_M is right about the S2K, if you were thinking to get a 2 seater you should wait for the 2009 Z4. I think it has the same twinturbo incline 6 as the 335i. It's also a hardtop which is a bonus and also the styling is much improved. The price would be pretty expensive although.

I have a 335xi coupe and it's pretty good all year round. This winter with the factory tires i never got stuck and was overall pretty good. It pulls pretty hard although i think the E92 M3 is more fun to drive and faster. So i'd go with the M3 but thats just my opinion.

funkedelic2
02-01-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't think i will be going with a two seater. I sometimes have to drive a del sol and it is annoying not to be able to fit more people in the car. However the z4 is a nice car but i am not a huge fan of the styling. I rather buy a Z4M roadster to be honest with you.

It is still between both cars. I think if i do buy a 335i, i will just try to find one that has Dinan upgrades or do them myself shortly after. I still don't know what to do, the M3 is still tempting me quite a bit.

benyl
02-02-2009, 01:21 AM
95% of the suspension is the same between the 335 and the M3.

You can switch out most of the parts for a reasonable amount of money. There is a thread on e90post that talks about what needs to be switched.

It is actually quite surprising how little they changed between the 335 and the M3. The best part is that Dinan has "upgrades" for the 335 suspension that are basically M3 parts without the "M" badge. Same part numbers.

The trouble with the V8 at our altitude is the loss in power.

funkedelic2
02-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by benyl
95% of the suspension is the same between the 335 and the M3.

You can switch out most of the parts for a reasonable amount of money. There is a thread on e90post that talks about what needs to be switched.

It is actually quite surprising how little they changed between the 335 and the M3. The best part is that Dinan has "upgrades" for the 335 suspension that are basically M3 parts without the "M" badge. Same part numbers.

The trouble with the V8 at our altitude is the loss in power.

Thanks for that. I never knew .. I am going to see if i can find that thread. You have a 335i and an e46 M3 right? How do you compare the two? I loved the e46 m3 but it was not the most comfortable car in the world. Which one do you prefer to drive?

benyl
02-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Something about "raiding the M3 parts bin" is the thread name.

The rear subframe is practically the same save for some control arms or something and the rear diff. Not sure about the spring rates.

The e46 is raw. Mine is loud, rough (SMG) and ride rough (lowered).

The e92 is nice. Everything about it is nice. I haven't modded it at all except for wheels (and DRLs). There just isn't a need to. I want to lower it, but I wouldn't be able to leave my neighborhood (glad I didn't).

I have thought about getting the E92 M3 or the C63AMG. The problem is the NA engine. After having the STi, getting the M3 was a disappointment in the power department. Sure, I could get the HPF kit like rage2, but I don't know if I want to blow that much cash on a turbo kit ($30K now with the exchange).

So unless MB holds true to their statement that all their cars are going FI, I am not sure what to get. Getting tired of BMWs... time to move into something different.

funkedelic2
02-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Something about "raiding the M3 parts bin" is the thread name.

The rear subframe is practically the same save for some control arms or something and the rear diff. Not sure about the spring rates.

The e46 is raw. Mine is loud, rough (SMG) and ride rough (lowered).

The e92 is nice. Everything about it is nice. I haven't modded it at all except for wheels (and DRLs). There just isn't a need to. I want to lower it, but I wouldn't be able to leave my neighborhood (glad I didn't).

I have thought about getting the E92 M3 or the C63AMG. The problem is the NA engine. After having the STi, getting the M3 was a disappointment in the power department. Sure, I could get the HPF kit like rage2, but I don't know if I want to blow that much cash on a turbo kit ($30K now with the exchange).

So unless MB holds true to their statement that all their cars are going FI, I am not sure what to get. Getting tired of BMWs... time to move into something different.

Yeah mine was lowered too and it was pretty rough as well. I have been told that i will miss the "rawness" from the e46 M3 and the clutch and LSD. However im sure the 335i has its advantages over the e46 M3 as well. It seems a lot more grown up as well.

C63 would be nice, but i don't know if i would choose it over the e92 M. I would prefer the better handling car over the savage c63.. but i'm sure it would the MB would be a hell of a fun car to have :D

benyl
02-02-2009, 04:02 PM
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177028

The e92 M3 has more than just a few parts that are similar to 335i. The bushing kit by Dinan is nothing more than a M3 kit and I saw the M3 logo on the bushing and part number laser etched on the control arms. You can buy the part for your dealer and below are the part numbers.

Front control arms:

• LEFT TENSION STRUT WITH RUBBER MOUNTING 31102283575
• RIGHT TENSION STRUT WITH RUBBER MOUNTING 31102283576

Rear sub-frame:

• RUBBER MOUNTING FRONT – 33312283382 - Qty 2
• RUBBER MOUNTING REAR – 33312283383 - Qty 2

FWI, the front suspension on e92 is identical with e92 M3, as well as, 90% of the rear suspension. You can literally bolt on an M3 suspension and brakes ect. The only real difference between between cars is the rear track width which is minor and a LSD. This should be of no real surprise.

I measure up the M3 strut bar today and it should fit so I order the parts ( http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&hg=51&fg=75 ). This design is superior to any straight cross over bar from a mechanical stiffness point of view and much lighter. You need ever part of the RealOEM listed page and for item #6 you need the 12 mm bolt.

Orb

The front and rear track width is created with lower offset wheels (if you keep reading).

Eleanor
02-02-2009, 04:39 PM
You're in school and can afford a 335i?

Jealous :(

funkedelic2
02-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor

Nooo i wish. I need to go back to school again soon and i will once i am able to work weekends at my job and still make the same amount in the 40hrs that i put in right now. No way i could pay for a car like that + insurance unless my parents were paying for it, which they never would and i wouldn't want them to either.

Its between 2 cars right now. I might be going up to Calgary this weekend and i might be coming back with a new ride.

1st car -
2007 335i
Space grey/black interior with brushed aluminum trim
6sp Manual
Dinan stage 2 (348hp, 421 ft-lbs torque)
41,000kms
Sport/Premium/nav - Fully loaded pretty much
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m248/j_junior/P1010093.jpg

Asking: $43,000

2nd car -
2008 335i Alpine White/Black interior with Poplar wood trim
Automatic with paddle shifters
Stock minus 19" M6 replica wheels
30,000kms
Sport/Premium/nav - Every single option available on the car.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m248/j_junior/Picture_002.jpg

Asking: $45,000

I like the space grey one because it has the Dinan upgrades, i like the interior trim better and i am use to a manual. He also has the oem 19" star wheels and 18" winters on it right now.

The white one has less kms, it is an 08, it is completely 100% loaded. I don't like the wood trim and i am unsure about the auto with paddles.

banned3x
02-03-2009, 09:10 AM
ford focus?

funkedelic2
02-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by banned3x
ford focus?

HOW did i manage to miss that from my list? lol
Maybe this focus..

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/250652/ford-focus-rs/

Redlyne_mr2
02-03-2009, 09:36 AM
It sold a few days after putting it up for sale? :)

funkedelic2
02-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

It sold a few days after putting it up for sale? :)

Not surprised, it was a good deal. 08, very low kms, awd. Just not the right car for me.

Weapon_R
02-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Take the newer 335. That dinan chip isn't expensive.

alpha_gangsta
02-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Not sure if you've seen this video but it seems to be relative to the discussion at hand. It's Not the sedans but still...
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4gGzq4Pyv8Q
Sibling Rivalry: Dinan 335i Coupe vs E92 M3

I'm somewhat in the same situation. I'm trying to decide if the price is worth it. From what I gather around the other BMW and M boards, if you're passionate about cars, the M is the way to go, if you're more about daily driveability, the 335i is better.

The N54 motor will feel faster because of the more usable power range where as the NA V8 will want to really rev high up for you to feel it. You can upgrade a 335i to compete with an M3 but the M3 has a characteristic on it's own and at the end of the day... it's still an M car vs a hopped up 3 series.

It's hard to argue with the performance that can be had with the 335i vs the M3 when comparing by price points and there will be a lot of guys in modded 335i's trying to challenge m3 guys... but still, at the end of the day I think if the 335i guys could afford the M3 in the first place, they would have gone M3.

Sorry, I haven't driven either yet but these seem to be the prevalent arguments I hear. It's interesting to hear how the suspension components are so interchangeable though. hmm... anyways... just my $0.02

benyl
02-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by alpha_gangsta

It's hard to argue with the performance that can be had with the 335i vs the M3 when comparing by price points and there will be a lot of guys in modded 335i's trying to challenge m3 guys... but still, at the end of the day I think if the 335i guys could afford the M3 in the first place, they would have gone M3.

Haha, this is such a weak argument.

The M3 is a great car, there is no doubt and probably worth the premium price. However, it has nothing to do with affordability.

There is a chipped 335i car running 11.8 seconds in the quarter with the only mods being drag radials and MS109 for fuel. That car is putting more power down at the wheels than the M3 has at the crank. AND it has torque. With small changes to the suspension, you will have a car that will rape the M3.

Most of the 335 guys have put in more money for suspension work, aftermarket LSD and chipping than the price difference between the M3 and 335 and will come out ahead.

I could have waited for an M3. I didn't, because I knew I would be disappointed in the power delivery, especially here in Calgary. But I also knew that the aftermarket for the 335 would be better and likely cheaper than the aftermarket for the M3.

Somebody will turbo the E9X M3... but how much will that kit be?

alpha_gangsta
02-03-2009, 11:30 AM

Haha, this is such a weak argument.

The M3 is a great car, there is no doubt and probably worth the premium price. However, it has nothing to do with affordability.

Well, I guess I stand corrected.

I don't imagine the majority of shoppers in this category are willing to throw $20K in aftermarket parts on a 335 though. A few grand to keep up/beat a stock M3 though is an easy choice. Anyways, I don't even know if this argument is relevant or makes any sense. I would just imagine it's easier to finance an M3 (especially at 1% we had) and having a set level of performance vs a 335 and then dropping even more cash.

If I wasn't getting a deal on 08 left over in stock m3 sedans and also the 1% financing, I think I would have gone the 335i route as well. The price gap for me isn't quite as high and I really don't want to be fiddling with aftermarket parts anymore.

I'm quite amazed to hear the 11.8 put down by the 335i though. I didn't know a 335 could surpass M3 power levels with just a chip. Although I remember the torque levels being quite ridiculously good. haha. I can't believe 295 ft.lbs of torque isn't enough anymore...

But yeah, I guess more food for thought.
135 vs 335 anyone?

benyl
02-03-2009, 11:52 AM
There are still 2008 E90 M3s in stock? Shit, maybe I have to get another car... lol

Generic
02-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

yeah, how do you do that? i can barely afford my 01 Prelude and i don't work haha

funkedelic2
02-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Generic

yeah, how do you do that? i can barely afford my 01 Prelude and i don't work haha

Look at the first post on page 2 where i have already explained this. I work, trying to become a weekend worker so i can then keep my car, go to school again full time and still make the same $$ :thumbsup:

Generic
02-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

Look at the first post on page 2 where i have already explained this. I work, trying to become a weekend worker so i can then keep my car, go to school again full time and still make the same $$ :thumbsup:

good for you man! that sounds pretty decent.