PDA

View Full Version : Third party Warranties...need help!!!

MPowered
02-01-2009, 08:05 AM
Not sure if this has been brought up before, my father inlaw purchased a 09 Nissan Murano from the US the guy he purchased it from messed up on the paper work. Because of this he now has no warranty coverage in the US or Canada. He has been fighting with Nissan US and Canada to get a warranty but has had no luck.

Now his only option is a third party warranty. Has anyone purchased a third party warranty for a Nissan or can recommend a company to provide one. We are currently looking at MAP (Motorist Assistance Plan).

Any thoughts?

TIA

Sorath
02-01-2009, 11:34 AM
coverage one

KyleTA
02-01-2009, 11:47 AM
FCPP
Stay away from Auto-shield

bignerd
02-01-2009, 01:02 PM
We had Auto Shield on a Honda, can't tell you how it was as we never had to use it, however if you never used it you got all your money back so we got about $1600 back.

Just watch, a lot of them have deductibles you have to pay for EVERY repair or part replaced. Sometimes it is only $25, $50 etc... but could add up.

MPowered
02-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the help so far. MAP wants you to pay a deductible for every service which could certainly add up! Alot of the third party warranties can not be provided by the dealers. You would think they could work something out as the dealer would probably get the service.

jonnycat
02-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Stay away from coast to coast. I sold a coast to coast warranty once to a customer, who ended up having his REAR DIFF go out on him. They would not provide coverage because he couldn't produce receipts showing he changed his ENGINE OIL at 5000km intervals.

hockeyguy
02-02-2009, 02:36 PM
in all honesty most of thes blow, i have yet to deal with one that covers everything, they won't cover shop supplies, or pasy the shop labor rate or cover nuts/bolts etc or whatever BS they use to get out of paying, good luck

Redlyne_mr2
02-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Call the Nissan dealer and see what they have to offer. His best choice is generally the warranty sold by the dealer doing the repairs.

MPowered
02-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Call the Nissan dealer and see what they have to offer. His best choice is generally the warranty sold by the dealer doing the repairs.

The Nissan dealer wants to sell him the MAP warranty which is supposed to be additional to the existing warranty, but he doesn't have the original warranty.

I think he may just save the $2000-$3000 for the additional warranty and put that aside for future repairs. Hopefully with Nissan being a fairly dependable brand he won't have too many problems.

Xtrema
02-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Other than the CVT, which is also quite proven on the old Murano, I don't think you have much to worry about.

That's the trade off you get for the saving.

Are you suppose to get the warranty in the first place? Or is the US salesman is trying the scam the system?

MPowered
02-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Other than the CVT, which is also quite proven on the old Murano, I don't think you have much to worry about.

That's the trade off you get for the saving.

Are you suppose to get the warranty in the first place? Or is the US salesman is trying the scam the system?

The dealer in the US screwed up on the paperwork and Nissan US and Canada will not recognize the vehicle under Nissans warranty. He fought for months in the US and Canada to get the warranty with no luck.

I guess the savings he got will pay for any future repairs.

you&me
02-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Before spending any money on warranties, I'd spend some bucks on a lawyer. I can't think of any reason a screw-up with paperwork would result in the warranty being voided. You're father is either being lied to or screwed...

Redlyne_mr2
02-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by you&me
Before spending any money on warranties, I'd spend some bucks on a lawyer. I can't think of any reason a screw-up with paperwork would result in the warranty being voided. You're father is either being lied to or screwed...
It's very difficult and expensive to fight with a company in a different country.

Xtrema
02-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by MPowered

The dealer in the US screwed up on the paperwork and Nissan US and Canada will not recognize the vehicle under Nissans warranty. He fought for months in the US and Canada to get the warranty with no luck.

I guess the savings he got will pay for any future repairs.

You didn't answer my question. Has the car been registered in the states for more than 6 months? Or are you asking the saleman to submit false documents? Or did he screw up the US registration? Or did you do the import before 6 months are up? How else would they void your warranty?

You do know Nissan's warranty policy on imports right?

MPowered
02-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

You didn't answer my question. Has the car been registered in the states for more than 6 months? Or are you asking the saleman to submit false documents? Or did he screw up the US registration? Or did you do the import before 6 months are up? How else would they void your warranty?

You do know Nissan's warranty policy on imports right?

My father in law was not told by the dealer that the he has to register the car in the US before he brings it across the border. He does not have a US residence. He did not register the car until he got back to Canada and therefore Nissan wants to void his warranty.

No I don't know Nissan's warranty policy on imports???