PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean laptop screen

krazykhoja
02-01-2009, 10:52 AM
My laptop screen is a bit dirty and just wondering the best way to clean it. I know there is special cleaner you can buy but I don't have any...so wondering if there is any other way to clean it?

Can I use water...or could I use glasses cleaner/cloth to clean it?

Thank!

sr20s14zenki
02-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Windex and a cotton rag, or paper towel, whatever. you arent going to scratch it.

johnboy27
02-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Windex and a cotton rag, or paper towel, whatever. you arent going to scratch it.
Pretty sure you are not supposed to use windex on laptop screens. I went to exesscargo and bought an LCD cleaning kit for a couple bucks that comes with cleaning solution and small wipes for it. Cost about 5 bucks and lasts a couple years.

dj_rice
02-01-2009, 12:00 PM
I just use those cleaning wipes that are made for eyeglasses

A790
02-01-2009, 12:01 PM
I got this monster screen clean thingy when I bought my TV that I use for it. Seems to work fine :)

sr20s14zenki
02-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by johnboy27

Pretty sure you are not supposed to use windex on laptop screens. I went to exesscargo and bought an LCD cleaning kit for a couple bucks that comes with cleaning solution and small wipes for it. Cost about 5 bucks and lasts a couple years.

ive been using windex on my laptop and computer lcd for about 4 years now with no effects. I think that shit is a gimmick.

badatusrnames
02-01-2009, 12:20 PM
I wonder if cleaners formulated for glass are safe with the plastic your monitor screen is made of?

QuasarCav
02-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

ive been using windex on my laptop and computer lcd for about 4 years now with no effects. I think that shit is a gimmick.

:werd:

I Windex the laptop fairly often at work.

FreakinPrince
02-01-2009, 01:56 PM
no windex for me at all!!!

i just spend a few bucks for a proper lcd screen cleaner and its all good...

windex is a no no

but all to their own!!

Mr. Burns
02-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Soft damp cloth followed immediately by a soft dry cloth. Works well on both matte, and glossy screens.

Free too.

copynpaste
02-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Monster cleaner - the only stuff I use. The fact that it keeps dust off your screen resulting in less cleaning for you....is worth it. The stuff is so good I use it on all my flat screens and only have to wipe them once a month.

hampstor
02-01-2009, 02:51 PM
I use water and a cloth. Sometimes I use alcohol based electronics cleaner if i have it around as it dries very fast.

** disclaimer! this is only based on personal experience with my LCDs at home, work and my 2 laptops **
I doubt windex will do much to an LCD screen. I know windex or any cleaners were heavily discouraged back in the CRT days because you run the risk of removing any of the coatings on the glass. I have heard the 'yellowing the screen', 'making it cloudy' , 'scratch the screen', however I have never seen it happen.
** end disclaimer **

That said, dont spray the screen with whatevr you use - spray the cloth and then wipe the screen.

diamondedge
02-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Microfiber and eyeglass cleaner. Spray cloth, fold over, wipe, fold again to dry.

When you're about to sneeze, look away! haha

trliniar
02-02-2009, 01:39 AM
i think your not supposed to use windex because its an ammonia based product. Same reason why not to use an ammonia based product on tinted windows in cars. Its as a precautionary measure against taking off your tint and why you shouldn't use it on your LCD. It could take off the protective, shiny coating. Invest in a good cleaner. Last thin you want is for your screen to get all fucked up. That is the one part that you have to look at, why mess it up and kick yourself in the ass later

GQBalla
02-02-2009, 08:30 AM
i use sunglasses cleaner

em2ab
02-02-2009, 10:00 AM
I just use my sleeve.

Davetronz
02-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by A790
I got this monster screen clean thingy when I bought my TV that I use for it. Seems to work fine :)
I'm a big fan of this Monster screen cleaner. I have a bottle at work and one at home.

EK 2.0
02-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Davetronz

I'm a big fan of this Monster screen cleaner. I have a bottle at work and one at home.

I swear by this stuff...and even use it on my glasses...

dr_jared88
02-03-2009, 08:32 AM
If you want a home brew solution, 1 part rubbing alcohol and 1 part water works great. It works as good as the monster spray. Just buy yourself a microfibre cloth and youre good to go.

Jonel
02-05-2009, 02:46 PM
You can get Dust Off Monitor Wipes. They come in those containers similar to the Wet Naps. The one I bought from memex came with 70 wipes for only 7.99.

Looks like it's going for $15 now according to memex website.

SpireTECH
02-05-2009, 03:38 PM
It's generally not recommended to use Windex and other ammonia based cleaners on LCDs. The ammonia will often react with the anti-glare or UV coatings on the screen. This could leave your monitor with a permanent haze or it could just remove the coating.

This is more of an issue for LCD TV's, but I think some laptop LCDs use the same coatings. To be on the safe side, I would recommend the Monster stuff.

alloroc
02-05-2009, 03:43 PM
moist cloth - dry cloth - done.

ZorroAMG
02-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Yep a lil water or Apple Polish if I have any around...on cloth, then wipe. Never spray on the hardware.