PDA

View Full Version : Anyone sucessfully stream high def (720p) through 802.11g?

nobb
02-01-2009, 12:58 PM
I searched, but I thought this was mostly a problem with ps3/xbox and 1080p stuff.

I just built a file server/torrent downloading box that I keep all my large files in and it is connected to my home network. It is hooked up through a wired 100mbps ethernet connection to my Linksys WRT-54G router which is running DD-WRT.

I am trying to stream high definition movie files from this machine wirelessly through 802.11g to my laptop, which can then be hooked up to my bigscreen and home theatre. It seems to work great at first, but then I notice that about every 30 seconds, the picture might freeze, audio gets out of sync, or stutters. I am guessing this is a bandwidth issue. So Im just wondering if anyone has successfully streamed high def through their wireless network successfully? Maybe someone knows some tweaks?

I am using VLC as the player, btw.

sr20s14zenki
02-01-2009, 01:00 PM
I upgraded to wireless N for that exact reason. I am streaming 720p thru my wireless N with no issues. So, maybe check out wireless N? I just dont think that G has enough bandwidth to do it. I used to stream divx videos fine over 54g.

arian_ma
02-01-2009, 01:05 PM
The PS3 is capable of wireless N right? Cause I've got a DIR-655 router. Is that all I need?

sr20s14zenki
02-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Pretty sure ps3 is wireless G

rage2
02-01-2009, 03:49 PM
You need 802.11n the 5ghz version. Even tho I can sustain enough bandwidth to stream HD (AppleTV) on 2.4ghz n, interference will make it start skipping and it's annoying. I moved my apple TV to 5ghz n and it's been perfect for streaming ever since.

And ya, PS3 is only 802.11g.

nobb
02-01-2009, 04:13 PM
I did consider wireless n, but I have 4 computers + one 802.11g smartphone that access the network wirelessly. I know most N routers are backwards compatible with G, but would the N router revert back to G for all connected computers even if a single G device is connected?

aka: Do I have to upgrade all my computers to N, or is it okay for one device to be N, while the rest stay as G?

Mibz
02-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by nobb
I did consider wireless n, but I have 4 computers + one 802.11g smartphone that access the network wirelessly. I know most N routers are backwards compatible with G, but would the N router revert back to G for all connected computers even if a single G device is connected?

aka: Do I have to upgrade all my computers to N, or is it okay for one device to be N, while the rest stay as G? If you get a dual-band router then the N devices can connect to N while the G connect to G with very little sacrifice to the N speed.

rage2
02-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
If you get a dual-band router then the N devices can connect to N while the G connect to G with very little sacrifice to the N speed.
Ya, except his PS3 doesn't have N, so he'll need a dual band router and an access point.

Router:
http://www.dlink.ca/products/?sec=0&pid=681

Access Point:
http://www.dlink.ca/products/?sec=0&pid=663

Gets pretty expensive.

Mibz
02-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Ya, except his PS3 doesn't have N, so he'll need a dual band router and an access point. He's not running it through his PS3.

Server -> Router -> Magical Cosmic Rays -> Laptop.
N router and maybe an N card is all he needs.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about arian_ma, in which case he's already got the router and just needs an AP.

sr20s14zenki
02-01-2009, 09:39 PM
I wish i had bought a higher up model than the dir 615. It's a great router provided you arent running G and N combined. Now that i run all N cards, it works great. When i ran 1 n card and then a g card from my laptop, it wouldnt connect, even in dual band mode...unless i made it unsecured. Not sure why :dunno:

GoChris
02-01-2009, 10:08 PM
I have no problems streaming 720p, in fact, I can stream 1080p to my ps3 no problem on G. I don't use stock router firmware though, custom firmware on a linksys wrt54g, but stock settings.

Mibz
02-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
I have no problems streaming 720p, in fact, I can stream 1080p to my ps3 no problem on G. I don't use stock router firmware though, custom firmware on a linksys wrt54g, but stock settings. OP is running DD-WRT. Are you on Tomato or something else? If something else, is there any QoS enabled by default?

EDIT: Could this also be caused by the laptop not being powerful enough to transcode in real-time?

GoChris
02-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
OP is running DD-WRT. Are you on Tomato or something else? If something else, is there any QoS enabled by default?

EDIT: Could this also be caused by the laptop not being powerful enough to transcode in real-time?

Oh, missed that part. I'm also using DD-WRT. Ya, what's the laptop specs, also have you tried anything other than VLC, like media player classic?

soupey
02-02-2009, 06:40 AM
what software do u guys use to stream?....i access my computer's tv tuner in calgary soemtimes if i feel the need for less biased newscasts haha...but the quality is crappy...i use www.orb.com.

sr20s14zenki
02-02-2009, 06:46 AM
I just have all my movies stored on my main system (3 terabytes of storage) and then i bring them over the network to a dummy box hooked up to the tv via media center. Thats it.

rage2
02-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by GoChris
I have no problems streaming 720p, in fact, I can stream 1080p to my ps3 no problem on G. I don't use stock router firmware though, custom firmware on a linksys wrt54g, but stock settings.
Ya like I said earlier, it's enough bandwidth to do the streaming until there's 2.4Ghz interference or high traffic from other wifi sources, which would start stuttering the feed.

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
I just have all my movies stored on my main system (3 terabytes of storage) and then i bring them over the network to a dummy box hooked up to the tv via media center. Thats it.
Pretty much the same setup as me. I use mymovies mce plugin to organize everything.

Alterac
02-02-2009, 11:54 AM
I find that bringing someone in to wire every room of your house down to a patch panel in the basement is cheaper than investing in a ton of equipment and all the time it takes to manage said equipment.

Doing it yourself is alright, but its a pita with a finished house. I know i dont want to crawl around in my attic. hah.

by searching craigslist / kijiji you can probally find someone to do it for you for relativly cheap..

nobb
02-02-2009, 02:39 PM
I guess ethernet would be the last resort. I would probably do it myself though...not sure if I would trust a stranger from craigslist. Problem is finding long lengths of cat5 cheap. Or I could use the existing wiring. My house is built by Jayman and they use some sort of ethernet looking connector where the phone lines plug into, and it goes to a central distribution hub in the basement. Anyone know if this sort of line in the newer built houses can be hooked up to both the phone and ethernet? Or do I have to sacrifice one.

rage2
02-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm thinking of getting Spiretech to do it at my house. They are a beyond sponsor haha.

I actually have 2 CAT5's to each room (4 to some rooms) at my house, but now that both cat5's are being used for HDMI distribution, I need more. I was contemplating on using the unused COAX connections for ethernet, but the amount of $ I'd have to spend it's cheaper to run 2 more CAT5's to each room.

Alterac
02-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Cat5e cable is dirt cheap.. $50 for 1000 feet. (plus shipping. Hah) so like $100 / case.

Alot of times you can get leftovers from the telco's for free.

If you are not using your phone lines, its easy to convert them to data lines if the builder used Cat5 for them.

If Spiretech would quote us a price per drop i might consider them also.

hampstor
02-02-2009, 03:29 PM
I need my house wired too... :)

benyl
02-02-2009, 03:44 PM
I too require cat 5 wiring to a number of places in my house. I wasn't thinking ahead as I only put 1 drop in each room. My HT needs another 5 drops to make me happy (Wireless sucks ass). :)

SpireTECH
02-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm sure we could work out some sort of group buy. Let me get in touch with the higher ups and see what can be done pricing wise.

I know we usually run lines as a complimentary service, when people purchase/setup other gear through us. I'm sure if you sweet talk Matt he will do it for a case of beer.

rage2
02-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Ya, I'd be willing to pay for pro wiring. Can it be done easily without ripping walls apart? My basement's undeveloped (so it's easy) but I need to add 2 in the living room, and 6 (2 x 3 rooms) on the second floor.

Alterac
02-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Yup, thanks for responding to my PM i sent you.

Let us know.

hampstor
02-03-2009, 12:10 AM
I need 3 put in, all against the same outside wall but upper floor, main floor and basement (undeveloped).

SpireTECH
02-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Ok, so I talked to Matt about it. He's all for a group buy. We don't have a flat rate per line, but we can offer discounts off our Beyond on-site rate. Most runs can be finished in an hour or less, depending on the complexity. A quote is always provided in advance, and we honour all estimates.

We came up with a quick price structure based on the number of people interested.
5 people: 10% discount ($57.38/hour)
10 people: 15% discount ($54.19/hour)
15 people: 25% discount ($47.81/hour)
Difficult runs might require cutting access holes in the wall. There are additional expenses involved with this, such as drywalling and repainting. We handle these jobs on a case by case basis, and everything is discussed upfront before any work is done. One thing we don't do is drill through exterior walls or foundation. This is a home warranty issue that can be a little sticky, so we try to avoid it whenever possible.

evoXfan
02-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Count me in in the group buy! :thumbsup:

Alterac
02-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Spire,

You should setup a seperate thread for this instead of mucking this guys streaming one up.

Then we can all respond with what we need, etc.

SpireTECH
02-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Good idea.

I have made a new thread in our sponsor section for the group buy. Please sign-up there if you are interested.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/251532/home-wiring-group-buy/

Cheers,
SpireTECH

nobb
02-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Ok so I might change up some plans. Problem is, I am a bit confused with the wiring. I am hoping maybe someone can clear things up.

I know that with cat5e cabling, both data (ethernet) and phone can go on the same wire. Central pins are used for phone, outer pins are for ethernet. All the cat5e sockets in my house go to a central distribution panel in the basement. It is a Honeywell MDX88200:

http://www.security.honeywell.com/hsc/products/wiring/qu/co/50083.html

Can someone please explain what this thing is and what it does? I cant find any useful information on it.

The reason is, I would like to plug one of the router ethernet outputs to a cat5e socket, and have that go to another cat5e socket (or to the basement, so I can place my server there). Can someone confirm how I would go about wiring this up?

Boat
02-05-2009, 11:57 PM
hey bicky, solve your problem yet??
If you are baller enough, will this work?

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX23356(ME).aspx

-pat

Mibz
02-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Ok so I might change up some plans. Problem is, I am a bit confused with the wiring. I am hoping maybe someone can clear things up.

I know that with cat5e cabling, both data (ethernet) and phone can go on the same wire. Central pins are used for phone, outer pins are for ethernet. All the cat5e sockets in my house go to a central distribution panel in the basement. It is a Honeywell MDX88200:

Can someone please explain what this thing is and what it does? I cant find any useful information on it.

The reason is, I would like to plug one of the router ethernet outputs to a cat5e socket, and have that go to another cat5e socket (or to the basement, so I can place my server there). Can someone confirm how I would go about wiring this up? There's two screws on the top that, if removed, should give you access to the wiring of the module itself and let you do whatever you want with it. What you'd want to do is find the ports that go to the wall jacks you want to use and wire them together if they aren't already.

Or you could just buy a small consumer switch and achieve the same result without the hassle.

Also, to clarify, wires 1, 2, 3 and 6 are used for data in 10/100 connections. If you want to use Gigabit then you need all 8 wires for data. I'm not 100% clear on your goal with phone/data though.

rage2
02-06-2009, 09:32 AM
He has one cat5 to each room to an RJ45 port. He wants to split the wire up so he can have a phone and network at the same time.

Prepare for interference when you're on the phone.

Mibz
02-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by rage2
He has one cat5 to each room to an RJ45 port. He wants to split the wire up so he can have a phone and network at the same time.

Prepare for interference when you're on the phone. We need a :| smiley

SpireTECH
02-12-2009, 03:29 AM

The reason is, I would like to plug one of the router ethernet outputs to a cat5e socket, and have that go to another cat5e socket (or to the basement, so I can place my server there). Can someone confirm how I would go about wiring this up?

As rage2 already mentioned, it's not recommended to run phone and data over the same cat5 line. You'll likely get poor performance while the phone is in use or ringing. Some people have claimed that you can fry your ethernet card this way. The phone runs in the neighbourhood of -48 volts nominal, up to 100 volts when ringing. So induction is definitely a concern, although I'm not sold that you can fry the card by doing this.

Another solution might be to consider a VoIP phone. Depending on how much and when you use your phone, the initial cost of the phone could be offset over time with the savings on your phone bill.

You can quite easily achieve the second task of moving your server to the basement or another room. Simply connect the router line into the source port on the back of the Honeywell unit, and the destination room into the associated jack on the front of the cluster. Or, if the Honeywell unit is giving you trouble, just go and buy a cheap RJ45 coupler from Home Depot.