PDA

View Full Version : CTV superbowl feed on all channels on Shaw?

TACO.VIDAL
02-01-2009, 02:54 PM
It looks like the CTV feed is on all the NBC channels. Usually the digital channels are left alone and you can watch the US commercials.

Whats going on today that theyve switched it all to the CTV feed?

Oz-
02-01-2009, 03:10 PM
CTV HD feed has been changed from Toronto to Calgary a week or two back. As per CRTC that means that CTV can simultaneously substitute the feed.

Bastards, if they are anything like Global they will screw up the commercial breaks etc. Have their control room on speed dial in case they screw up the game feed and will be tracking any screw ups to make to file a complaint with the CRTC.

Xtrema
02-01-2009, 05:03 PM
FUccccccckkkkk

ICEBERG
02-01-2009, 05:13 PM
What the Fuckkkk.. I was looking forward to the commercials. Fu@k you CRTC and CTV. I am going to cancel SHAW...

Oz-
02-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I personally don't care about missing the ads, yeah it sucks, but what bothers me more is how a canuck commercial will run a bit long and they cut back to the game and a down has already been played. Gross errors like that can be submitted to the CRTC for complaints about the crap simsub law that is in place.

Taken from a post on digital home, so hopefully everyone complains if these idiots screw up.

Programme, Date, Time (House, Dec 12, 8PM)
Affiliate affected (ie ABC Buffalo)
Broadcaster (Global, CTV, Etc)
Problem Description (Early start, Not HD, No DD5.1, etc)
Service provider (Rogers, BEV)

Please make sure that you complain to:

- The CRTC
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/RapidsCCM/Register.asp?lang=E

- The Broadcaster

[email protected] Global e-mail
[email protected] (Betsy Chaly who is the Director of Corporate Communications at CanWest Global)

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/1462_contactus.aspx City Feedback

[email protected] (CTV e-mail

- Your Service Provider

- The (Canadian) Advertisers.

toyboy88
02-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Boo - fucking ctv feed. :thumbsdow

rage2
02-01-2009, 05:25 PM
It's like this every year.

Canadian networks PAY for the superbowl. They'll need to show canadian commercials to pay for the rights.

The fuckups do suck tho. I'm glad I subscribe to US TV.

ercchry
02-01-2009, 05:31 PM
this would be the first time you can not just switch to the higher channels and watch the american broadcast though

Oz-
02-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Canadian networks PAY for the superbowl. They'll need to show canadian commercials to pay for the rights.

Not on the HD side of things. Mainly, because Global and CTV didn't have local HD stations. That means the CRTC law for simsub doesn't come into play and they can show the original feed unadultered. Now that CFCN-CTV Calgary has an "HD" feed they have replaced the CTV Toronto HD feed that was on Shaw. Simsub for all Shaw subscribers on both SD and HD side of things.

Edit - This was for Shaw subscribers, if you were on Bell you got boned many years ago with the Super Bowl simsub.

Masked Bandit
02-01-2009, 05:43 PM

Nope. Last year (before I had HD) I could watch the US versions on channel 83 or 85 (can't remember which one). This year, everything is blocked out.

phuckers.

rage2
02-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Oz-

Not on the HD side of things. Mainly, because Global and CTV didn't have local HD stations. That means the CRTC law for simsub doesn't come into play and they can show the original feed unadultered. Now that CFCN-CTV Calgary has an "HD" feed they have replaced the CTV Toronto HD feed that was on Shaw. Simsub for all Shaw subscribers on both SD and HD side of things.

Edit - This was for Shaw subscribers, if you were on Bell you got boned many years ago with the Super Bowl simsub.
ahh thx for the clarification. I've been on Bell forever for CDN content. Just remembered we got our CTV local HD OTA channel now.

Just to rub it in, that Audi/transporter commercial was awesome haha. Classic MB and BMW in chases haha.

beecue
02-01-2009, 05:52 PM
How about a guide on how to get DirecTV here? That would be pretty sweet.

soupey
02-01-2009, 06:13 PM

ahh thx for the clarification. I've been on Bell forever for CDN content. Just remembered we got our CTV local HD OTA channel now.

Just to rub it in, that Audi/transporter commercial was awesome haha. Classic MB and BMW in chases haha.

is OTA functional in calgary already?

sheeit im watchin it in the states full res with media center on a projector:bigpimp:

rage2
02-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by beecue
How about a guide on how to get DirecTV here? That would be pretty sweet.
To subscribe to US Satellite services nowadays you need a US SSN, US Credit card, etc. for verification and payment. In other words, good luck ;).

BTW - don't worry too much about the missed commercials. They haven't been that great. The Audi one is the only one that's cool so far.

rage2
02-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by soupey
is OTA functional in calgary already?

sheeit im watchin it in the states full res with media center on a projector:bigpimp:
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/January2009/28/c3639.html

Just a few days ago.

beecue
02-01-2009, 07:01 PM

To subscribe to US Satellite services nowadays you need a US SSN, US Credit card, etc. for verification and payment. In other words, good luck ;).

BTW - don't worry too much about the missed commercials. They haven't been that great. The Audi one is the only one that's cool so far.

Damn that sucks. I don't really care about the commercials. Just wanted more HD channels like TNT. :(

To get OTA do you just need an antenna? Too bad we don't have a lot like Ontario.

soupey
02-01-2009, 07:40 PM
yea, jus plug antenna into ur tv that has OTA reciever built in and it'll pick up the channel

out here u get shitloads of free high def content OTA...it'll be nice to see it in calgary later on...makes windows/vista media center totally worth it.

rage2
02-01-2009, 07:57 PM
It'll never happen in Calgary.

In big markets such as LA and NY, before HD and digital you'd get 25+ OTA analog channels. In Calgary, we had what 3 or 4? Even if they went all HD (it'll be a while) it'll never be anything like in LA/NY.

Oz-
02-01-2009, 08:04 PM

In big markets such as LA and NY, before HD and digital you'd get 25+ OTA analog channels. In Calgary, we had what 3 or 4? Even if they went all HD (it'll be a while) it'll never be anything like in LA/NY.

:werd:

Vancouver, Toronto and some places along Montreal might be getting the typical canadian OTA but they also get the American stations that are within reach. Here in Calgary? Even with some sort of signal booster I don't think any American feeds reach this far north.

pinoyhero
02-01-2009, 08:07 PM

Agreed, it does suck but we do live in Canada and do pay for Canadian cable ... jealous of your US cable.

rage2
02-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Agreed, it does suck but we do live in Canada and do pay for Canadian cable ... jealous of your US cable.
I subscribe to both. Pretty much full packages. It aint cheap haha.

Oz-
02-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Doubt many people will be interested in this, but was doing some light reading this morning.

http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2008/db2008-358.htm

prae
02-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Oz-
Doubt many people will be interested in this, but was doing some light reading this morning.

http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2008/db2008-358.htm

interesting read, i was not aware of the politics behind this phenomenon.

95teetee
02-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by prae

interesting read, i was not aware of the politics behind this phenomenon. yes- interesting- I also find it hard to believe Bell Expressvu would be accused in something like that- I don't think I've seen an actual American network presentation on their system in five years.

bart
02-04-2009, 08:14 PM
"subscribe" is an interesting word lol. i think he means paying for FTA files ;) my subscription is free thanks to the country of Nauru lol

Oz-
02-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by bart
"subscribe" is an interesting word lol. i think he means paying for FTA files ;) my subscription is free thanks to the country of Nauru lol

Pretty sure that rage2 is using a proper echostar setup and not the viewsat/sonicview/etc setup you are thinking about.

rage2
02-04-2009, 09:54 PM
I sub to DirecTV. They haven't been hackable for years.

Xtrema
02-04-2009, 10:08 PM

If CBC, CTV, Global and A-Channel all go HD OTA, that will reduce my need of rip-off Shaw HD terminal by 50% since they carry all the American shows anyway.