PDA

View Full Version : Any runners use a calf compression sleeve?

BlueFrenzy
02-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi guys

I've been getting into marathon running lately and have heard about people using calf compression sleeves (similar to the ones basketball players use) for quicker recovery, in addition to the regular stretching, massage, ice and rest. I'd rather not buy a set of running compression tights. What are your thoughts?

Oh also what brand is good and where to find them in Calgary --> I've heard of Zensah, McDavid and 2XU. Thanks!

98type_r
02-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Are you struggling in your recovery after a long run? I've never actually used them, but I have thought about it from time to time. I've them a lot more in endurance athletes/triathletes, although I guess a marathon would classify as such. I have heard a lot of good reviews from triathletes about the 2XU products.

What marathon are you training for?

BlueFrenzy
02-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the reply. Not really training for any marathon in particular --> not that hard core ... yet :) I am thinking about the HSBC half marathon but haven't decided yet.

Reason why I started thinking about compression wear is that I strained my right calf muscle 18months ago and it becomes a bit tight after a long session running or biking. I usually recover after a day or so --> both legs are understandably sore but the left one feels like it recovers a bit quicker. My physiotherapist suggested compression tights while exercising (in addition to the regular massage, rest, stretch etc) to help speed up recovery. Ha ha... I'm VERY reluctant to wear tights, so she suggested thinking about a leg sleeve that basketball/triathon people wear.

Any idea where I can go to get the 2XU or any other sleeves in Calgary?

98type_r
02-05-2009, 02:19 PM
I don't know of any stores locally that sell 2xu, but i'd suggest going in to Tri-it on memorial drive, just west of crowchild trail. They have zoot compression socks that might work for you.

edit: they're having a sale next week, 20% off on the 13th and 14th.

BlueFrenzy
02-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Nice! Thanks, I'll check them out.