PDA

View Full Version : how do i take my a/c out of my car?

TomTom
08-15-2002, 06:02 PM
the unit is under the hood, its dead weight how do i take it off a 93 prelude?

frenchdriver
08-15-2002, 06:29 PM
wow Tom... you're going pretty intense on whole the performance thing with the lude!

I'd go to a dealership, i'm sure they could take it about really easily.

Does it still work? Make sure they don't keep it because I'm pretty sure you could sell that to them for couple of hundreds at least! might cover the cost of taking it out! or even make a couple of bucks doing it :thumbsup:

my 2 cents

Ferio_vti
08-15-2002, 09:06 PM
I'd go pick up a Haynes manual from the library or Crappy tire. Has some pretty detailed instructions on taking apart pretty much anything on the car.

max_boost
08-15-2002, 09:13 PM
You are crazy to take out the A/C!

choweyt3t4
08-15-2002, 09:20 PM
i agree with maxboost,dont take it out just to get and extra 10hp out of it.i personally would keep it in,although it does only get hot a few months out the year

legendboy
08-15-2002, 10:23 PM
It is easy to take the compressor and the condensor out and just plug up the pipes. If u just take the belt off and leave it like that for a long time the seals in the compressor will dry out and break.

shadowz
08-16-2002, 04:00 AM
I would never take it out! Man if I had A/C I would use it, but I hear yours isnt hooked up all together, if I were you I would get it hooked up and enjoy it, its a luxary, take advantage of it

legendboy
08-16-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by shadowz
I would never take it out! Man if I had A/C I would use it, but I hear yours isnt hooked up all together, if I were you I would get it hooked up and enjoy it, its a luxary, take advantage of it

TomTom
08-16-2002, 11:01 AM
it needs a recharge, and arn't they like 100-150$?

legendboy
08-16-2002, 12:30 PM
actually duracool from partsource works better than an oem recharge, it blows much colder. Its like $20 per bottle, u'll probly need 2 bottles + a fitting.

Redlyne_mr2
08-16-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by TomTom
it needs a recharge, and arn't they like 100-150$?
89 bucks

boi-alien
08-16-2002, 12:36 PM
i'd keep the A/C.... after being pampered and having AC i think it's pretty much impossible to go back to the non-AC days =)

Ed the SOHC
08-16-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by shadowz

werd...

I hate not having a/c. The next car I get will have a/c at the top of my 'must have' list. Sweating in your car isn't a pimpin' way to cruise.

LUDELVR
08-16-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
actually duracool from partsource works better than an oem recharge, it blows much colder. Its like $20 per bottle, u'll probly need 2 bottles + a fitting.

Is that for any car or certain cars cuz I know that the civics and preludes have different a/c systems

TomTom
08-16-2002, 01:04 PM
should i goto partssource and they will do it all for me? i dont think they do that stuff?

or should i goto honda and pay out the ass
the hole air control unit dosnt even work!! the a/c button works but the lever you push over for hot/cold has to be forced and still dosnt go all the way, what should i do about that??

i just got pissed off with it all and wanted to rip the hole thing out rather than pissing around with it, but if it can be fixed easy than i guess i might as well.

Seks
08-16-2002, 01:10 PM
Keep the A/C!

sexualbanana
08-16-2002, 02:03 PM
keep the ac. u'll regret it if u take it out.

shadowz
08-16-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC

werd...

I hate not having a/c. The next car I get will have a/c at the top of my 'must have' list. Sweating in your car isn't a pimpin' way to cruise.

So true hahahaha driving by and wiping the sweat off your head

sexualbanana
08-16-2002, 06:57 PM
i hate archie for not getting a/c in the civic

BarryBeach
08-16-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
i hate archie for not getting a/c in the civic

Hey, At least he got the sunroof ... it would be unbearable without that.

:burnout:

frenchdriver
08-17-2002, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by BarryBeach

Hey, At least he got the sunroof ... it would be unbearable without that.

:burnout:

i got no A/C and no sunroof :thumbsdow

Mikaldor
08-22-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

I'd steer clear of that Duracool stuff. I looked into it when replacing the AC on my Beamer, and found out that it is totally bad news :thumbsdow

It's Hydrocarbon based and if you have a leak in your AC system it can catch on fire or blow up on you. Check it out on this website:

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/refrigerants/hc12alng.html