PDA

View Full Version : Coach and Horse Pub SW

403Gemini
02-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Coach and Horse
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=coach+and+horse+pub&sll=51.026645,-114.058363&sspn=0.009528,0.019226&ie=UTF8&ll=50.913952,-114.070315&spn=0.009551,0.019226&z=16

I'm not ashamed to say since i've grown out of the clubbing scene around the age of 19 I've found a love for pubs. I've been to tons of pubs around the city mostly because I like the atmosphere of just sitting around with a group of friends , enjoying some unhealthy food, and just in general, being able to talk without needing to scream at people to hear them (and it gets me out of the house ;) )

Now I lived in Millrise/Shawnessy area for about 10+ years and when this pub opened I didn't go to it once. However I did notice that the entire parking lot is ALWAYS packed on Friday/Saturday evenings.

Now I'm living down in Lake Chapparal my friend and myself were looking at going to Dixons on a sunday a few weeks back and found out it closed at around 1130 (i think) , so I thought of the coach and horse. We called them up and I think they said they closed at 1-2 am (on a sunday! not bad!) so we went out there for a pint just to talk about work and bitch about how we dont want to go into work tomorrow ;)

To my surprise after stepping inside, the pub is huge. It looks well sized on the outside, but stepping inside it is like entering Narnia... it's much larger than it seems. We get a table and our waitress takes our orders and what was really nice (i know she was just working on her tip) is she even stood around and asked us how our day was , what our weekend was like etc. Small touch, but I liked it.

When she handed us our drinks I asked for a menu because I missed dinner, when she handed me the menu... i was quite impressed. However she did alert me that only the appetizers were being cooked since it was late, i had no problem with that... now back to the menu. Thumbing through it for next time, this menu was HUGE. Bigger than almost any dedicated restaurant i've been too, quite impressive for a pub! So my buddy and myself ordered some stuffed yorkies and potato nachos each. I was thinking the yorkies would be like the bull n finch where there are about 8 of them on the plate and don't really fill you up. Well i was wrong... it was only 4... FOUR HUGE YORKIES. I couldn't work through more than 2 of them before i attempted the potato nachos... which were just amazing. An excellent potion of toppings and was only about $11.

We paid our bill and left.

The next time we went was on a Friday night, and again I mentioned the parking lot was PACKED so I was thinking great we're not going to find a table, or if we do find seats they will be at the bar or something.

Again upon entering, not a problem finding a seat, easily 1/4 of the bar was still available for seating. :thumbsup:

Knowing better this time, my friend and myself split the potato nachos instead of trying to solo them and I ordered the sheppards pie and he got the philie cheese steak. Sheppards pie = awesomely delicious. What was nice about the food as well is it wasn't "auctioned off" where they say "Sheppards pie..." and sort of wait for somebody to reach for their plate or raise your hand or anything. The just put it down right infront of me.

So to sum everything up:

Atmosphere - 5/5 - one of the cleaner pubs ive been too
Food - 4.5/5 - Excellent food (for a pub, I'd give it 5/5 but again, it's just pub food lol)
Service - 4/5 - once when I went, i think the girl was pretty new, but it took awhile to get the food/drinks. No biggy , not painful enough to complain about
"Talent" ;) - 4/5 - some pretty average girls in there... but some amazing hotties too haha.

If you're looking for a good pub, live in the south, i'd recommend giving this place a shot.

mdeluxe
02-02-2009, 01:17 PM
my buddys gf works there and shes a 11 out of 10

Mibz
02-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Best British pub food I've had since living at home and the menu is huge.

Also a big +1 on how large the interior is and how I've never had to really search for an open table.

Service was the same as any other pub but when you think about how many people are in this place you really appreciate the staff.

If I could afford it I'd be at the C&H at least once a week.

Anton
02-02-2009, 01:24 PM
My favourrite pub by far! I'm there probably 2 times/week. The service has always been exceptional. We know our waitresses now but even the very first time we went there, everyone was great. So far, I haven't been too impressed with the food besides the Yorkies. I definitely know what you mean when you say they're huge!

My experience with the food has been:
Montreal Smoked Meat Sanny - 2.5/5, however it's tough to find a good Montreal Smoked Sanny anywhere.
Wings - 1/5 Mostly because they were still covered in oil and my first bite I got oil in my eye. Flavour wasn't great either (S&P and Hot).
Clubhouse - 3/5 Pretty average
Yorkies - 5/5 Delicious!
Cheese toast - 5/5 hah!

Even though I haven't had the best experience with their food I would still go here over any other place because of the service and atmosphere.

Best past: they don't have the freaking VLTs!

403Gemini
02-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by mdeluxe
my buddys gf works there and shes a 11 out of 10

Whats her name, I'll stop hitting on her lol

edit: wait i re-read that, you said your buddys gf... whats her name, I'll keep hitting on her ;)

sputnik
02-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Anton

Montreal Smoked Meat Sanny - 2.5/5, however it's tough to find a good Montreal Smoked Sanny anywhere.

Sanny? Really? Are we still in kindergarden?

As for Montreal smoked meat in Calgary... Palace of Eats is king.

www.palaceofeats.ca

Anton
02-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Sanny? Really? Are we still in kindergarden?

As for Montreal smoked meat in Calgary... Palace of Eats is king.

www.palaceofeats.ca

Sorry, always called it that. Didn't think somebody would care...:dunno:

I'll definitely have to check that out! Thanks!

403Gemini
02-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Anton

Sorry, always called it that. Didn't think somebody would care...:dunno:

I'll definitely have to check that out! Thanks!

It's the internet, somebody will ALWAYS care :rolleyes: lol

nonlinear
02-02-2009, 04:10 PM
what beers on draft? do they actually have good beer, or just the standard lineup of cheap, sour schwagbeers like labats, molson, konakee, rickards, etc.?

sputnik
02-02-2009, 04:13 PM
http://www.coachandhorsescalgary.com/

Mibz
02-02-2009, 04:48 PM
I had the smoked meat the first time I was there and barely touched it. I had an upset stomach though so I didn't want to pass judgment.

Seanith
02-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Just don't go to this place for lunch unless you want to take a 2hour lunch.