PDA

View Full Version : Review: Tenshi Sushi

Blownturbo
02-02-2009, 03:08 PM
- Tenshi Sushi
- Food rating 5/5
- Ambience 4.5/5
- Service 4/5

So this restaurant is fairly new and I drove by it a few times before finally deciding to try it. First off I went with my girlfriend so we got a 42 piece deluxe sushi combo. The total for the said combo was 39.95 and 34.95 gets you the regular combo but it does not come with appetizers.

The combo came with:
4 Gyoza dumplings
2 Miso soups or eggdrop
2 sunomuno salads
42 pieces of sushi.

The portions were fairly big and we could not finish it the two times we went. The combo consisted of 8 sashimi pieces , 3 different rolls and nigiri.

The only downside to this place is that it is fairly small. I counted only 20 seats. So it gets fairly busy around dinner @6 but it dies down at around 7. Which is when we went.

All in all the price per person was around 23~ with green tea + tips.

I highly recommend it.

LadyLuck
02-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Good to hear!
I will definatly check that place out.
Ive been looking for a new Sushi place since I heard that the Globefish on 14th just got a bad case of vermin.

prae
02-02-2009, 03:42 PM
the only question that matters is would you go there over Globefish, down the block?

Super_Geo
02-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Food rating: 5/5

Hm... 5/5 for sushi in Calgary? The only place that I'd give a 5/5 in Calgary is probably Towa in Mission, or Hiro on 4th Ave (but just for the spicy tuna rolls, the rest of the stuff is above average but I wouldn't call it 5/5 by any stretch).

Globefish is hit or miss. They have some fancy specialty rolls, no questioning that, but I don't think the quality of their fish matches Towa's.

What sushi spot would you compare the quality of fish at Tenshi to?

Blownturbo
02-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by prae
the only question that matters is would you go there over Globefish, down the block?

I would just for the price. I'm fine just spending less than $50 for sushi and having leftovers to pack home.

Originally posted by Super_Geo

Hm... 5/5 for sushi in Calgary? The only place that I'd give a 5/5 in Calgary is probably Towa in Mission, or Hiro on 4th Ave (but just for the spicy tuna rolls, the rest of the stuff is above average but I wouldn't call it 5/5 by any stretch).

Globefish is hit or miss. They have some fancy specialty rolls, no questioning that, but I don't think the quality of their fish matches Towa's.

I usually go to Globefish and Fujiyama. This would be up there in terms of quality IMO. The only downside is that they don't have as many specialty rolls. The portions is just mind blowing though.

clem24
02-04-2009, 09:25 AM

LOL 5/5 for Towa? You've got to be kidding.

As for OP, it'd be nice to know which similar restaurants you've been to for comparison, what came with the combo, maybe an actual comment *about* the food (such as freshness of fish, compared to x and y), instead of just "it was a lot of food and I couldn't finish it, therefore it was worth every penny".

Ice712
02-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by clem24

He must equate size to quality because the sushi at Towa is pretty horrendous.

GQBalla
02-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Ice712

He must equate size to quality because the sushi at Towa is pretty horrendous.

I wouldn't say horrendous, but its definitely not 5/5. i would rate it 3/5.

not bad yet not great,

sushi in calgary just isn't 5/5.

Ice712
02-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

I wouldn't say horrendous, but its definitely not 5/5. i would rate it 3/5.

not bad yet not great,

sushi in calgary just isn't 5/5.

OK maybe horrendous was a bit harsh but for me "average" sushi is inedible.

I've gone to Towa with people who claim to love "sushi" but they actually love rolls. The nigiri sushi is not very good.

I'll let you in on a secret...there is good sushi in Calgary...you can find it at Sushi Bar Zipang...don't tell anybody I told you.

GQBalla
02-04-2009, 10:22 AM
location??

i have yet to try that place

malcolmk14
02-04-2009, 01:48 PM
You know, I've been hearing more and more about Zipang and I think I owe it a try. I love Towa, but you guys are right, it's certainly not 5/5.

I'd agree with a 3.5/5 rating for Towa and unfortunately that's the best I've had in Calgary.

spiceboy
02-04-2009, 01:54 PM
My favorite is Misato in Signal Hill and Miki on Home Road. Best sushi in town!

cloud7
02-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Ice712

I'll let you in on a secret...there is good sushi in Calgary...you can find it at Sushi Bar Zipang...don't tell anybody I told you.

Zipang is good. I would not call it a 5/5 still.

clem24
02-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Yup Zipang is as good as it gets in Calgary.

Miki.. Sorry. Misato.. Only if you're into rolls and other stuff (like cooked food).

BTW GQBalla -- Zipang is at 1010 1 st Ave NE. By the old General. Make sure you make res or else you'll likely not get seated unless you go at odd times.

Wildcat
02-04-2009, 04:26 PM
So who's got the best sushi in town? Based on food alone, forget ambiance/service/etc.

takkyu
02-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Yup Zipang is as good as it gets in Calgary.

Miki.. Sorry. Misato.. Only if you're into rolls and other stuff (like cooked food).

BTW GQBalla -- Zipang is at 1010 1 st Ave NE. By the old General. Make sure you make res or else you'll likely not get seated unless you go at odd times.

I would be interested to hear your take on Sushi Club in Kensington.

bignerd
02-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Haha we are going to Tokyo in April, my brother says *all* other sushi will be ruined for us after having sushi in Japan.

Blownturbo
02-05-2009, 10:51 AM

As for OP, it'd be nice to know which similar restaurants you've been to for comparison, what came with the combo, maybe an actual comment *about* the food (such as freshness of fish, compared to x and y), instead of just "it was a lot of food and I couldn't finish it, therefore it was worth every penny".

The sashimi was fresh probably the best I've ever had in calgary ie. not half frozen. Probably because its such a small place they can't overstock and freeze the fish. The rolls itself were good because there wasn't an excess of vinegar in the rice compared to globefish :barf:

As for comparison to other restaurants I'm not sure which ones i can compare it to. Like I said i would definitely choose this place over globefish which is just down the street from me. Quality and price wise.

I'll try out this Zipang place and give my 2cents as well.

I know the owners there and the reason the menu is like that is because They are both Korean + Japanese. In asian culture that's just a rare mix.

Originally posted by bignerd
Haha we are going to Tokyo in April, my brother says *all* other sushi will be ruined for us after having sushi in Japan.

Isn't it true that Japanese people don't even eat it as often as we do?

malcolmk14
02-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
So who's got the best sushi in town? Based on food alone, forget ambiance/service/etc.

It depends on your tastes. Do you like fancy rolls? Traditional sushi? Fusion sushi? There's just so much to consider.

Wildcat
02-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by malcolmk14

It depends on your tastes. Do you like fancy rolls? Traditional sushi? Fusion sushi? There's just so much to consider.

Definitely looking for something new and innovative that i haven't tried before with fresh, quality ingredients.

C4S
02-05-2009, 12:04 PM
3/5 for food is already good in Calgary!

In general .. most chinese food is 1-2/5 in Calgary .. :banghead:

Overall .. sushi isn't bad in Calgary .. as long as dont compare to Vancouver/Toronto .. ( of course, dont even think of comparing to Japan )

:(

Um .. prime rib is good here in general .. :D

in*10*se
02-05-2009, 12:08 PM

lol towa is so old school.... the new place is el's sushi in marda loop :)

malcolmk14
02-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat

Definitely looking for something new and innovative that i haven't tried before with fresh, quality ingredients.

El's Japanese Fusion, in Marda Loop. Right across the street from Globefish.

clem24
02-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by malcolmk14

El's Japanese Fusion, in Marda Loop. Right across the street from Globefish.

Interesting. A search on Google though seems to indicate it is Korean owned. Hence the Fusion?

89coupe
02-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Tried this place tonight, cute little place, but I won't be going back.

No liquor license, yeh, almost left right there.

I didn't want to stay after that so I got the sushi to go. It was ok, but nothing special.

First and last time.

ShinRa
02-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Agreed with 89coupe.

No liquor license was a huge :thumbsdown and the place was wayyy to small for my liking. I like a little privacy and there were no booths and our table was like 2 feet next to this other couple.

Food was good but nothing special.

Dont think I will be dining in there again but if I am ever craving some good sushi I will for sure consider them for take out.

Super_Geo
02-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Went to Zipang last night to see what all the commotion was about.

It's a bit more expensive than Towa... Food came to $100 for two people (not including tip or drinks). The portions were pretty decent (with the exception of the tuna sashimi, which was huge!), the quality of the fish was good as well. Their saba was very fresh, always a good sign.

But... I have to say, I think I'll be sticking with Towa. The same meal would've cost maybe $70-80. We had mostly nigiri and sashimi, and I think one or two rolls. Their tuna sashimi was amazing, also one of the first times I saw young yellowtail on the menu... it was nice, but not worth $6/piece, but then again maybe I just don't have the palate to appreciate it. Who knows.

AzNxHyDrA
02-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Went to Zipang last night to see what all the commotion was about.

It's a bit more expensive than Towa... Food came to $100 for two people (not including tip or drinks). The portions were pretty decent (with the exception of the tuna sashimi, which was huge!), the quality of the fish was good as well. Their saba was very fresh, always a good sign.

But... I have to say, I think I'll be sticking with Towa. The same meal would've cost maybe $70-80. We had mostly nigiri and sashimi, and I think one or two rolls. Their tuna sashimi was amazing, also one of the first times I saw young yellowtail on the menu... it was nice, but not worth $6/piece, but then again maybe I just don't have the palate to appreciate it. Who knows.

What do you eat at towa? Last time I went with my girlfriend the meal ended up to around $120 after tips. Jesus I guess I just try too many different things at towa.

szw
02-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Any of you guys try Omakase anywhere in Calgary?

89coupe
02-07-2009, 02:17 PM
I can't belive you guys like Towa, that place is a shit hole if you ask me.

The rolls are wayyyy too big and not very well thought out.

The sushi is average, and the service sucks.

clem24
02-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by szw
Any of you guys try Omakase anywhere in Calgary?

The problem with Calgary is that we don't really get any seasonal or special fish. Zipang once in a while will get a batch of interesting stuff, but that's about it. The other thing you need is a good/unique sushi chef. And those are also hard to come by. Also, half the sushi "chefs" and servers in Calgary are Chinese, so ask for omakase and they probably have no clue what you're talking about.

About the only place really, that I can think of that might do omakaze (and you won't leave disappointed) is probably only Zipang. Maybe Wa's (on centre) cause I remember they also had unique stuff, but their sushi just isn't quite up to snuff.

msommers
02-13-2009, 08:36 PM
I've tried a shit ton of sushi places in Calgary and the best just happens to be close, Zipang. Towa? Seriously?

If you're looking doller vs. quantity, just hit an all you can eat. Cheap sushi is not good here, end of story.

clem24
02-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I've tried a shit ton of sushi places in Calgary and the best just happens to be close, Zipang. Towa? Seriously?

Basically all the casual sushiers/white people go to Towa (LOL except you), and all the connoisseurs go to Zipang. And then all the cheap fucks go to Ichiban. :rofl:

msommers
02-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Haha I'm hardly a connoisseur, I just know what I like. If I'm going to go out to a restaurant for sushi, it's going to be my favorite place even if it is the most expensive. Sushi is just one of those things here that you get what you pay for. If you can't taste any difference between a 12 dollar roll and a 3 dollar roll, who gives a fuck, I'm envious!

If I want a cheap sushi fix, I just hit up Co-op downtown:rofl: