PDA

View Full Version : 1990 pathfinder for off roading? any opinions?

Nismo S13
02-02-2009, 06:15 PM
hey guys, i've always been into tuning, and customizing cars, but am now looking into getting a lil dirty, and playing in the mud! thinking about picking up a 1990 nissan pathfinder, 3.0L v6, 5spd. anyone on here have any input as to how they perform off road? suggested mods? reliability? and trouble spots? any input is greatly appreciated!

CelicaST-162
02-02-2009, 09:52 PM
If you go back a few pages to our "Stocker Run" Page 4 are where the pictures at.

I took it out several times and it did GREAT, it went places where I never imagined it could go, and with the help of some spotters from the Jeep club we were able to make it to the top of world in Mclean creek. That boggled my mind!

Suggested Mods?

Make sure maintenance is up to snuff, last thing you want is to be stuck on the trail.

Very Reliable

After Maintenance is looked after, put some half decent 31 inch tires and you're good to go.

Nismo S13
02-02-2009, 10:02 PM
yeah, the one im looking at getting already has a 4" lift, winch+bumper, and spot/fog lights, and snorkel. i wanna put 32"s on it, i think it would be a good trail truck for a newb like me! hahaha. but wasnt sure how they performed off road. thanks for the input!

CelicaST-162
02-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Sweet, mine has a 2.5'' lift with 31's. Pick it up and come on some runs with us in the spring.

DonJuan
02-02-2009, 10:33 PM
I had a $200 89 hardbody with the same powertrain and diffs etc as the pathfinder. That truck was truly awesome. Had some 31" kumho mudders on it with the stock suspension (it would rub a little in the really tough stuff, so we cut the front fenders a bit.) but it was truly awesome. It never let me down. It always worked, the constant abuse that truck saw in the years that we had it was truly epic. It really is one of the toughest vehicles I have ever seen.

My bro was big into his 4x4ing with his fullsize chevy jacked up on 42" swampers and the lil nissan went everywhere he went. Of course with the lack of ground clearance and torque you had to take a run at alot of things to get through, but rthe factory skidplates took care of it. It truly was worthy competition for toyota's hilux. And it never broke. My bro's big chevy, took his money all the time.

Man that truck was awesome. Makes me want to get another one!

Nismo S13
02-02-2009, 10:47 PM
lol, how hard are they on gas? will it have trouble turning 32"s or 33"s? hows the susspension on them? im trying to find answers on the net, but you guys are very helpfull! has anyone done a t-belt on them, how hard?

THANKS AGAIN!:thumbsup:

barmanjay
02-02-2009, 11:32 PM
the pathfinder is a very capable 4x4

you should have no problems turning 32's
my poor jeep is a 4 banger and I'm runnin 33's

looking forward to the spring ventures into the bush :)
best way to get dirty is topless :)

CelicaST-162
02-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Nismo S13
lol, how hard are they on gas? will it have trouble turning 32"s or 33"s? hows the susspension on them? im trying to find answers on the net, but you guys are very helpfull! has anyone done a t-belt on them, how hard?

THANKS AGAIN!:thumbsup:

They are underpowered, gas mileage won't be on your side. Expect about 300 Kilometers/tank in the city. Anticipate less if you're going to run 32's or 33's.

Cranking on the torsion bars will lift your front end to clear your tires, but still anticipate rubbing. Look into a lesser offset rim to rectify this.

The rears you can use ford f150 coil springs, or Jeep Grand Cherokee springs, do a through search on this. I used spacers for the rear.

I've done the T-belt, it was an easier than I expected job to do. While you're in there, do the water pump and camshaft and crank seals too.

Check out

4x4parts.com Nissan Pathfinder forum
CN4XC.com, Calgary Nissan 4x4 Club

CelicaST-162
02-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay
the pathfinder is a very capable 4x4

you should have no problems turning 32's
my poor jeep is a 4 banger and I'm runnin 33's

looking forward to the spring ventures into the bush :)
best way to get dirty is topless :)

I can't wait :)

barmanjay
02-03-2009, 12:43 AM
I think 300's gas mileage with a v6 is great on 32's

I get 350 with mine and I'm 2 cyls less and only,.. what 80hp? ROFL