PDA

View Full Version : Christian Bale is good at yelling

xLostx
02-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Talk about losing it on someone :rofl: apparently this happened on the set of the new Terminator movie. A bit long me thinks but I'm sure he got his point across lol

http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_audio/020209_christianbale.mp3

eglove
02-02-2009, 11:28 PM
lol i like how he says please halfway through.

BigMass
02-02-2009, 11:40 PM
alpha
http://torontoist.com/attachments/toronto_davidf/2008_03_10_chainsaw.jpg

BigMass
02-02-2009, 11:46 PM
YTihsJQHt48

mac_82
02-02-2009, 11:49 PM
snap show! :nut:

b_t
02-02-2009, 11:52 PM
since when does he have an accent?

VWbloke
02-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by b_t

Since he started talking. He's Welsh.

helrazr
02-03-2009, 12:53 AM
What is a 'dp'?

black13
02-03-2009, 01:29 AM
That gave me a chuckle. I'd be pissed to if some random guy ruined an intense scene.

ZorroAMG
02-03-2009, 03:09 AM
DP is the director of photography. Either the guy directing the camera operator or the guy actually operating the camera, depending on the budget.

As for Bale, we hear him bitch but we have no idea what the real circumstance was. Christian Bale is as method as they come, he is severely focused and quite OCD when it comes to his character development. Throw a wrench in that and I'm not all that surprised at his reaction if the scene was intense...

I think he's right to a certain extent although he flew a bit far with it. A LOT of crew typically have no respect for actors and don't understand the environment required to put our best work on film. Sometime we only have one shot to get it where it needs to go.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of actors are total diva whiners too but for the professionals, we understand that without the light guy doing his work, the sound guy, the DP, the director, the grips and the actors being able to do their work and respecting everyone else, the product is shit.

Been there, seen that.

Vagabond142
02-03-2009, 03:32 AM
I've had the unenviable job of being a camera assistant as well as focus puller on a couple of local jobs. One of the productions (camera assistant) went smooth as glass. Everyone knew their places, the DP didn't get all up in the Director's face, the stars all communicated with each other and the crew (me included :D) and everyone felt part of a whole team.

The other production (focus puller), was for a commercial and the DP was a total dick. I'm not saying that this wasn't the case with Bale, but I do know just how low DP's can go. Plus, Bale is a perfectionist, as is well known. He's also a very deep character actor, as in he has to be totally in a scene for him to feel it went well. The DP got up his chuff somehow, either by being a diva DP or just by Bale going nuts.

A DP with a diva problem can shut down a shoot, I kid you not. Thankfully, I was crouched down beside the camera with my little lcd screen and focus knob, so I got to stay out of the line of fire. The director and the DP were exchanging full broadsides, all cannons firing, however. Was kinda funny to watch from a crew standpoint but it made a 3 day shoot into a week long ordeal. Ah well, I got a little extra money from it XD

(btw, a camera assistant is a runner/gopher for the cameraman that holds the cables during dolly moves, runs and gets batteries for the camera on location shoots, carries the tripod/base, loads and unloads camera equipment with the grips, etc... pretty much a bitch for the cameraman XD)

dezmarez
02-04-2009, 04:26 PM
a little american psyco stuck with him eh?

Zephyr
02-04-2009, 04:47 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39984

Hey folks, Harry here... I'm getting slammed with assloads of people angry at me for not posting the Bale explosion from the set of McG's TERMINATOR: SALVATION. Well, first off - there's a real simple reason. It isn't news. And it certainly isn't cool news. It is a moment in a man's life taken completely out of context and most likely leaked to personally embarrass Christian Bale.

Now, I know what a lot of you are thinking... There's no excuse for a temper tantrum like that to ever occur and if you are going to act that way, you deserve to be embarrassed by your own actions.

Except, you want to hear the REALITY behind that clip?

I know this because I happen to be somewhere where someone that was there that day and for the shoot is. And this person isn't a publicist, nor are they invested in Bale's career. They're just someone that thinks it is absolute bullshit that this moment in Bale's life is being aired and that the real story should get out there.

The DP on TERMINATOR SALVATION, Shane Hurlbut, is a apparently a light tweaker. He's a fairly young DP and likes to fiddle with his lights on set during action, which is a big "NO NO" on most productions unless worked out in advance with performers. But apparently Shane was a pretty unrepentant light tweaker.

The scene in question, was a very emotional and tough scene between Christian Bale and Bryce Howard. A scene that required soul bearing and a deep level of immersive concentration. The sort of scene where everyone on set knows not to get in anyone's eye lines, and definitely not to move lights around while FILMING. You lock that shit down before the scene starts.

Bale had indeed warned the DP on multiple occasions about messing with lights while the cameras were rolling, and Bale was in the midst of a painful scene with Bryce, what was described to me as being the emotional center of the film and his character for the film.

Now, the reason I know all of this is because the person that was there, felt that it should be made perfectly clear that Christian Bale was the utmost gentleman and cool guy on set. And the DP really was doing something that professional DPs with experience just don't do. Not during a performance.

You don't need me to give you a link, it's all over the internet, I just felt that you should know what really went down - and that this particular outburst did indeed modify the DP's behavior - and for future DPs. Fuck with the lights before and after your actors are acting. Not during.

Always two sides to a story

n1zm0
02-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by VWbloke

yeah funny how that accent comes out so strongly when he got angry, from all his movies you think hes straight up american bred. was waiting for some hardcore british or welsh swear words tho lol

signature7
02-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Bale has nothing but my respect. Loved all his movies, even before Dark Knight. Machinist, American Psycho, the Prestige to name a few. DP shouldn't have been fucking around.

Eleanor
02-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
Always two sides to a story Yes, but at the same time, it was uncalled for. Understandable to get frustrated, but that outburst was excessive.

Sh*t happens all the time at work and everyone gets super frustrated, but if you had that kind of outburst at any other job, you'd get canned pretty quick.

TKRIS
02-04-2009, 05:48 PM
^I disagree.
Sometimes people just won't fucking listen unless you give them a complete and extended public dressing down.

If he'd brought this up several times already, what possible reason would he have to think that simply bringing it up again would yield different results.
It would seem that this is what it took to finally drill the message home.

Zephyr
02-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Yes, but at the same time, it was uncalled for. Understandable to get frustrated, but that outburst was excessive.

Sh*t happens all the time at work and everyone gets super frustrated, but if you had that kind of outburst at any other job, you'd get canned pretty quick.

If you told a person multiple times and they don't listen, do you give in? No, he did what he had to and it worked. Just obviously the first part of the story makes better "news". And why is this even news? People do this all the time in the work place.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Sounds like Bale needs a whaaaaaaaaambulance.

95teetee
02-04-2009, 06:48 PM
I'd rather listen to him yell than listen to the Eastwood-wannabe growl he uses as batman:D

Eleanor
02-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS
^I disagree.
Sometimes people just won't fucking listen unless you give them a complete and extended public dressing down.

If he'd brought this up several times already, what possible reason would he have to think that simply bringing it up again would yield different results.
It would seem that this is what it took to finally drill the message home. I see where you're coming from, but still, rather excessive IMO. Like I said, I've dealt with some people who I've wanted to yell and swear at, but you just don't do it, if talking to him/her won't work, you take it up with their superior.

Originally posted by Zephyr
If you told a person multiple times and they don't listen, do you give in? No, he did what he had to and it worked. Just obviously the first part of the story makes better "news". And why is this even news? People do this all the time in the work place. You don't give in, you talk to their superior. And it's news because he's famous :dunno:

ZorroAMG
02-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Eleanor, once multiple warnings have been given out, there is NO excuse for that to happen. "LOCK IT UP" is yelled for a REASON before each take begins and that stuff should not happen, period.

If a multi-million dollar project with a-list actors doing their best work (which by everyone's standards, bale's work is phenomenal) doesn't count as a moment to respect him, that dp deserved every F-bomb. Emotional scenes done right do not happen easily and some days, not at all.

I've had stuff like that happen (can't react like him, cause I'm still an unknown haha) but FUCK does it piss you off. ESPECIALLY when the production doesn't have time/money/film to do it over. The actor ends up looking like the idiot if the final cuts are off....

Eleanor
02-04-2009, 07:48 PM
^ So why couldn't Bale have just walked off the set instead? Just tell the director, "I'm not working with him" and leave. Done.

ZorroAMG
02-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Probably a heat of the moment blow up. I'd tell the guy off instead of running to the director too after warning the guy a few times. Besides, I guarantee the director saw it happen.

Seanith
02-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by 95teetee
I'd rather listen to him yell than listen to the Eastwood-wannabe growl he uses as batman:D

Don't hate on the BATMAN VOICE :rofl:

Seriously though, that was an awesome rant. Don't fuck around with Mr.Bale when he's working :clap:

01RedDX
02-05-2009, 12:31 AM

Seanith
02-05-2009, 12:35 AM
That was actually a very good joker impression :thumbsup:

IhateDomestic
02-05-2009, 01:20 AM
He got in trouble with the cops in London apparently for abusing his mom or girlfriend with verbal assaults...heard this on the news a while back.

Hmm I don't like that kind of behaviour especially if you're being paid $5,000,000-$15,000,000 USD a flick. :banghead:

Regardless of whatever the guy did...:dunno: he shouldn't be yelled at that bad.

CB, you act civilized and proper on TV but behind the scenes--a Martha Stewart. :facepalm:

Shunsui
02-05-2009, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by IhateDomestic
He got in trouble with the cops in London apparently for abusing his mom or girlfriend with verbal assaults...heard this on the news a while back.

Hmm I don't like that kind of behaviour especially if you're being paid $5,000,000-$15,000,000 USD a flick. :banghead:

Regardless of whatever the guy did...:dunno: he shouldn't be yelled at that bad.

CB, you act civilized and proper on TV but behind the scenes--a Martha Stewart. :facepalm:

I heard it was the other way around...and that's what I heard led up to this incident.

littledan
02-05-2009, 01:45 AM
Christian Bale was really good in Empire of the Sun. I think everyone should check out that movie its a must see.

Vagabond142
02-05-2009, 02:26 AM
I just have to say, that if you think that this is a big blowup, you haven't worked on a set. Bale was bloody well POLITE in his dressing down.

This rant pales in comparison to a key grip losing it. Or to a gaffer that finds a broken wire 5 minutes before striking and setup. I have heard language that doesn't belong on this earth from section bosses to subordinates when they royally fuck the pooch. Seriosuly, part of the job requirement of a key grip is knowing how to invent curse words on the spot :eek:

Definition time, too: Key Grip = overall chief of operations for all laborers on the set, including crane operators, dolly operators, prop managers, etc. He's also the chief safety officer unless one is specifically hired on by the production (which can happen on multimillion productions). Basically, he's 4IC of the entire shoot, below the producer, director and director of photography. If you ever work on a film set in a crew function, this is the guy you suck up to majorly.

core_upt
02-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Buddy Rich - amazing drummer aside - could tear a strip of anyone! Best tirade ever!! He fires a a guy for having a beard!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8-uoTD4fMQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-ssZeOZkWU

:rofl: :rofl: it's so epic!

Wildcat
02-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
I just have to say, that if you think that this is a big blowup, you haven't worked on a set. Bale was bloody well POLITE in his dressing down.

This rant pales in comparison to a key grip losing it. Or to a gaffer that finds a broken wire 5 minutes before striking and setup. I have heard language that doesn't belong on this earth from section bosses to subordinates when they royally fuck the pooch. Seriosuly, part of the job requirement of a key grip is knowing how to invent curse words on the spot :eek:

Definition time, too: Key Grip = overall chief of operations for all laborers on the set, including crane operators, dolly operators, prop managers, etc. He's also the chief safety officer unless one is specifically hired on by the production (which can happen on multimillion productions). Basically, he's 4IC of the entire shoot, below the producer, director and director of photography. If you ever work on a film set in a crew function, this is the guy you suck up to majorly.

I thought it was the DP (director of photography) he was calling out not the key grip?

Did the DP get canned after this incident?

Xtrema
02-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

I thought it was the DP (director of photography) he was calling out not the key grip?

Did the DP get canned after this incident?

Probably won't get much work if he doesn't change his ways.

Bale wasn't being an ass IMO. It's just someone very passionate and serious about his craft.

GQBalla
02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
meh,

i dont get it,

its not that bad, he was just so frustrated.

Seanith
02-05-2009, 01:33 PM
What is a "gaffer" btw?

ZorroAMG
02-05-2009, 02:26 PM
It WAS the DP...vagabond was just citing examples of other shit that crew pulls...

Gaffer, btw is the guy in charge of the lights and the lighting crew....

Vagabond142
02-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Sorry, I'm using industry terminology

Key Grip = head honcho crew wise
Gaffer = lead electrician/lights master (in pure technical terms, he's a lights master only, but as you need to be a ticketed electrician to be a lightsman, they usually roll it into one job with the head electrician tag)
Striking = pre-shoot lighting, where the director, DP and associated grips/key grip set up the lighting for the scene. This is where stand-in actors/body doubles/stunt doubles are used for "striking" the scene so that when the actors get there, they can go right away and get the scene done, without wasting time with scene prep.
Setup = scene preparation not related to striking. This includes smoke effects, weather effects (making sure the rain machine is running, snowfans are running, all non-set items are out of shot, etc. Usually converse to the associate key grip (2IC grip) or the camera operator if he isn't the DP to make sure that all sightlines are clear of non-scene items

I wish I could work on more films, but the pickings are pretty slim here. There's also the fact that it's a very volatile industry.
:nut:

Vagabond142
02-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
It WAS the DP...vagabond was just citing examples of other shit that crew pulls...

Such as a grip dropping a $10k spotlight from the top of a cherrypicker cuz he didn't secure it while he was raising the picker. :facepalm: The KG went ballistic, as the Key Grip is held liable and responsible for all incidents of any grips under his watch (which is the entire film crew, pretty much). THat's the incident that had a 10 minute blue streak where about 1000 curse words were invented. That grip, from then on, ALWAYS made sure the lights were strapped down or locked to the safety bar before raising the cherry picker XD

Jlude
02-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by b_t

Originally posted by VWbloke

I read somewhere that in any interviews he does for a movie, he maintains the same accent in the interview as he has in the movie. He's pretty damn good. I looked up a bunch of his interviews after hearing this.

Ya, he loses his mind... maybe he went a little toooo far with it. Whatever...

Vagabond142
02-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Bale is well known as being a superb character actor, so it's only natural he can drop into an accent he wants when he wants

More definitions! A character actor is an actor that will not act in portrayal of a character, they invest themselves entirely into BECOMING the character. They study the character history, they try to find real life relations to the character, go and study those people/places/things, learn the accents, sometimes even learn the language of that place if it's foreign. One example is the film that Bale was in where he was a psychopathic killer or something... he lost a lot of weight and was almost skeletal because that was what the character needed to be portrayed as, so he just up and did it.

The quintessential case of this is Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man. To develop his character, he actually got himself checked into an insane asylum for a few days and did NOTHING but study the personality quirks of patients. For example, the way he keeps bobbing his head when he talks in the movie? Picked that up from the asylum research. Same with the hand positioning, vocalizations, everything. Watch Rain Man if you want to see an astounding example of pure character acting.

Damn, this thread is turning into Film School 101 XD

Street_Soldier
02-06-2009, 10:17 AM
YTihsJQHt48

Redlyne_mr2
02-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Guy needs to grow up.

ZorroAMG
02-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Easy to say when you've never been in a situation like that. This isn't a student film with shitty actors....that idiot fucked up and DESERVED it.

signature7
02-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Bale is well known as being a superb character actor, so it's only natural he can drop into an accent he wants when he wants

More definitions! A character actor is an actor that will not act in portrayal of a character, they invest themselves entirely into BECOMING the character. They study the character history, they try to find real life relations to the character, go and study those people/places/things, learn the accents, sometimes even learn the language of that place if it's foreign. One example is the film that Bale was in where he was a psychopathic killer or something... he lost a lot of weight and was almost skeletal because that was what the character needed to be portrayed as, so he just up and did it.

The quintessential case of this is Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man. To develop his character, he actually got himself checked into an insane asylum for a few days and did NOTHING but study the personality quirks of patients. For example, the way he keeps bobbing his head when he talks in the movie? Picked that up from the asylum research. Same with the hand positioning, vocalizations, everything. Watch Rain Man if you want to see an astounding example of pure character acting.

Damn, this thread is turning into Film School 101 XD

That's why I got a lot of respect for Bale. Movies like the Machinist where he gives his life for the role. He wanted to drop below 100 lbs but directors and film studio forced him not to. For four months he had coffee and an apple.

Jeremiah
02-06-2009, 06:38 PM
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4428188/11871082

ZorroAMG
02-07-2009, 05:41 PM
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4443165/11908415

Redlyne_mr2
02-07-2009, 07:05 PM
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4443165/11908415
I'm glad he manned up to it and realised what he did.

ZorroAMG
02-07-2009, 07:08 PM
It's called PR, he probably still thinks it was warranted, as do I.

I'd never go THAT far, but then again I'm not that deep of a method actor or have the experience he does.

Redlyne_mr2
02-07-2009, 07:13 PM
It's called PR, he probably still thinks it was warranted, as do I.

I'd never go THAT far, but then again I'm not that deep of a method actor or have the experience he does.
True.. the last thing he wants is his movie to flop.

ZorroAMG
02-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I doubt it would cause a flop of Tsalv but could have hindered any new potential work.....

Jeremiah
02-08-2009, 12:41 AM
YEE YEE, us boyz in da industry call it Tsalv ya hurd? :D

Jonel
02-08-2009, 05:27 AM
Christian bale is a very intense actor when he's in character so I can see how he can flip off when someone interrupts him when he's in that groove.

ZorroAMG
02-08-2009, 12:25 PM
LOL Jeremiah, it just takes too long....

Just like posting on B.dot see eh?

JRSC00LUDE
02-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Don't get me wrong, a lot of actors are total diva whiners too but for the professionals, we understand that without the light guy doing his work, the sound guy, the DP, the director, the grips and the actors being able to do their work and respecting everyone else, the product is shit.

Been there, seen that.

And got the souvenir jacket! Oh wait, no you didn't, someone stole it in between takes! :D

ZorroAMG
02-09-2009, 09:02 PM
:(

That wasn't MYYYYYYY fault!!!!!!

:D

Vagabond142
02-10-2009, 07:00 AM

Been there, seen that.

Nice to be recognized :angel: