PDA

View Full Version : Does this Stucco look bad?

natejj
02-03-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm in the process of maybe buying a duplex right now. I'm just concerned about the condition of the stucco on the outside. In this picture, it's clearly cracking on the edge of the house. Does this look serious to you guys? What would it cost to repair? It's a 35 year old house. I live in Fort Nelson BC, it gets down to -47 here in the winter.

http://www.nathanpc.com/house.jpg

Kloubek
02-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Looks pretty minor to me. But then, I'm not an expert...

Weapon_R
02-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Cracks in the stucco could be a sign of a shifting foundation.

spikerS
02-03-2009, 10:39 AM
cracks in the stucco dont usually mean anything, unless they get crazy. Stucco is watered down concrete with a few additives and dyes mixed in. The true color of stucco is the grey parging you see at the bottom.

Dont worry about it coming down. it gets put on over a wife frame, similar to box or chicken wire, so unless the wire was not put on securely enough, its fine.

We all know that concrete does not expand and contract very well with the weather we get in canada, and the extremes it can get to, and can show signs of age pretty quick.

In the picture you show, I don't see anything wrong with the stucco besides the crack on the corner, which is totally normal, and actually quite good for a 35 year old house.

This may have been caused by setteling of the house, but after 35 years, it isn't setteling any more.

ZorroAMG
02-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah, repairing stucco's not a big deal...the hardest part is painting over the repaired part and trying to get a color match. Since it's white, it's not that huge a deal, just repair and paint the whole wall that was fixed.

KRyn
02-03-2009, 11:11 AM
I worked with stucco (Acrylic) the last few years. Conventional stucco is essentially cement. It is cheap and very easy to fix. It also looks like shit in my opinion. It will never keep its color for more than a few years if it repeatedly gets wet. I am on my BB so I can't see your pictures but I assume it shouldn't be a difficult fix. The nice thing about conventional stucco is you can start/stop a job whenever you want. So patching an area is not a big deal. Acrylic you have to do entire walls in one go otherwise when it finished you will be able to clearly see where it dried and where it was started again. If you have anymore questions feel free to pm me.

Tarrantula
02-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Take a chunk off.. take it to winroc on 19th (n.e) and 32nd.

They can colour match.. and make you a 1 gal pail of patch. Riley would be the best guy to go through. (I used to work there)

Doozer
02-03-2009, 11:56 AM
I agree with what's been said above. My limited experience with stucco is that it's easy to fix, and usually deterioriates regardless of the condition of the house.

I presume you're not going to buy the house without an inspection, so I'd just see what the inspector says.

Kobe
02-05-2009, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
I worked with stucco (Acrylic) the last few years. Conventional stucco is essentially cement. It is cheap and very easy to fix. It also looks like shit in my opinion. It will never keep its color for more than a few years if it repeatedly gets wet. I am on my BB so I can't see your pictures but I assume it shouldn't be a difficult fix. The nice thing about conventional stucco is you can start/stop a job whenever you want. So patching an area is not a big deal. Acrylic you have to do entire walls in one go otherwise when it finished you will be able to clearly see where it dried and where it was started again. If you have anymore questions feel free to pm me.

not 100% true, with a darker color of stucco you need 2 spread it and put texture on before it drys... If you go spread the stucco without texture it will come out like shit, but it def doesn't have 2 be done as quick and properly like acrylic.. Acrylic is a bitch in the sun or if the wall is hot, or even if the scratch isn't perfectly even...

That big crack can be fixed, but use filling the hole with scratch, then putting some stucco over it, or knocking down a little section and blending it...

That stucco looks older however, I don't know of any companies that still put it on that way, but It can def be fixed pretty easily, what part of the city are you in?

JRSC00LUDE
02-05-2009, 07:55 AM
It would look a lot badder if it were wearing a black leather jacket and sunglasses.