PDA

View Full Version : Blowfish Sushi Lounge

mac70135
02-04-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm looking for a high end sushi place and found Blowfish Sushi Lounge on the internet, is this place any good?

Opinions anyone?

malcolmk14
02-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Blowfish is pretty delicious but it's not my favorite. I've been once and all I tried was the spicy tuna maki and the hamachi sushi, which comes with two pieces both done differently. One traditionally, with the fish and rice, and the other with a little twist, I believe it had green onions on it and a ponzu sauce.

For quality sushi, I'd say El's Japanese Fusion and Towa are probably my favorite right now. Not traditional or "high-end" but the quality is definitely there. How about some other info? What other places have you tried? Liked? It'll give a better idea of what your tastes are.

Unfortunately, at the moment I can't think of any places in Calgary that have good, traditional sushi, with the atmosphere and quality to match a "high-end" description.

ralliart_girl
02-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Have you ever been to Globefish? It is my fav place in Calgary for sushi

ercchry
02-04-2009, 02:01 PM
blowfish is awesome, freshest fish i have had in calgary, i have heard they have a different supplier then the majority of the sushi joints in town.

globefish does not stack up if you want sushi and not rolls

blowfish also has daily specials of different fish too which is always good

and every piece you order come with 2 one is the traditional sushi and the other is different, every type of fish for the special piece is done different

do a search on here there is a huge review thread about the place

n1zm0
02-04-2009, 02:07 PM
do any of these places actually serve fugu?? they all carry the names of it, globefish, pufferfish. It's a marketing ploy?

Just wondering there is any in Calgary ,although very reluctant to try it here just wondering.

I've had it, in Japan obviously, my cousin there was telling me that the restaurant/chef must be licensed by the government to handle and prepare blowfish and it requires 5 years minimum training. :nut:

ercchry
02-04-2009, 02:08 PM
illegal here to serve i do believe

malcolmk14
02-04-2009, 03:07 PM
No, you can't get Fugu here.

sputnik
02-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Bring your thick wallet.

Most expensive sushi in town.

Denslayer
02-04-2009, 03:28 PM
for the price your paying...its not really worth it..
much better places out there... +1 for Globe Fish

Anton
02-04-2009, 03:50 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/161894/review-blowfish-sushi-lounge/

suen_boi
02-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Sushi Club in Kensington is also a decent place to go. IMO, it's much better than Globefish. It's more about taste than going there to get stuffed.

roopi
02-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
do any of these places actually serve fugu?? they all carry the names of it, globefish, pufferfish. It's a marketing ploy?

Just wondering there is any in Calgary ,although very reluctant to try it here just wondering.

I've had it, in Japan obviously, my cousin there was telling me that the restaurant/chef must be licensed by the government to handle and prepare blowfish and it requires 5 years minimum training. :nut:

Originally posted by ercchry
illegal here to serve i do believe

Originally posted by malcolmk14
No, you can't get Fugu here.

Never heard of this before (just checked what it was pufferfish). Why is it illegel to serve here?

ercchry
02-05-2009, 09:39 PM
YGv2QxmaRI0

n1zm0
02-05-2009, 10:14 PM
I just read that it's the corals or whatever that they eat that make them poisonous, there are farms that feed them non toxic food, those aren't poisonous, so how come they don't serve that here? Fugu is really good, kind of like raw scallop :drool:

They'd make a killer off it here branding it as normal pufferfish and minus the risk, no pun intended :dunno:

ercchry
02-05-2009, 10:27 PM
do not know if much has changed since may last year but i found this

Shimonoseki now processes even nonpoisonous farmed fugu, because health authorities have yet to recognize officially that fugu can be made poison-free.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/world/asia/04fugu.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=fugu&st=nyt

poison free fugu kind of take the fun out of it though, don't ya think?

l/l/rX
02-06-2009, 02:46 AM
blow fish lost their head chef in nov/ dec. dont know how it is now. He's now working up in canmore at the asian fusion restaurant located in the silver creek lodge.

TheCheff
02-06-2009, 03:21 AM
I was just at globefish the other day for a friends bday. I had the Salmon Sashimi which was amazing and tempura softcrab & the edamame beans all were very good.

AzNxHyDrA
02-06-2009, 03:26 AM
+1 for Globefish if you like rolls. I really love the salmon their compared to Towa too. The salmon at towa taste only a little better than the garbage they serve you at sakana. The salmon at Globefish melts in your mouth :drool:. I've been to blowfish once but it was really overpriced. If you like to try a lot of different and interesting rolls go to Globefish. I really like the mango paradise there

Enhance
02-06-2009, 03:47 AM
Towa is the ultimate in sushie.. huge portions, and its nicely prepared. by far the best place out there. They also have free pop refills, for the rest of you whiteys out there.

I've had Globefish and the quality is just not up there with Towa

takkyu
02-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by suen_boi
Sushi Club in Kensington is also a decent place to go. IMO, it's much better than Globefish. It's more about taste than going there to get stuffed.
+1

rage2
02-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by suen_boi
It's more about taste than going there to get stuffed.
:werd:

I hate how people tell me "so and so is such an awesome sushi place" only to find out their criteria of good is cheap because they're cheap fuckers. Drives me nuts.

in*10*se
02-06-2009, 10:19 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/246091/review-els-japanese-fusion-marda-loop/

Kona9
02-06-2009, 10:28 AM
BLOWFISH FTW!

Jemi (sp) is a super nice girl, and the food is great!

I find Globefish is not even comparable. Just my .02

mac70135
02-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks guys! Checking out the place tonight!

C4S
02-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Still .. may be 3/5 for food? kind of not bad . but I agree, globefish is better.

:dunno: depends u care about the food or enironment .. and depends if u tried some really good sushi before or not .. :dunno:

89coupe
02-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Its not the nicest setting but Sushi Club seems to have the freshest tasting sushi of any place I have tried in Calgary.

Lagerstatten.ca
02-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Misato in Signal Hill is awesome in my opinion, with Towa coming a close second.

C4S
02-06-2009, 04:08 PM
:dunno:

It is hard to say who has the freshest sushi ..

It depends where and when u go .. even same place .. could be good one day, but not the next day .. :dunno:

89coupe
02-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by C4S
:dunno:

It is hard to say who has the freshest sushi ..

It depends where and when u go .. even same place .. could be good one day, but not the next day .. :dunno:

True, but everytime I have been to Sushi Club, the fish is amazing!

Its been hit and miss at every other place, for me at least.