PDA

View Full Version : U of C Management People!!!

davidI
10-07-2003, 11:29 PM
I've noticed there are a ton of U of C kids in Management on here, so everyone step up and be noticed :D

Put your year too,

I'm 2nd year...

accordboi_02
10-07-2003, 11:30 PM
Poor you, I feel sorry for you.

:devil: :devil:

davidI
10-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by accordboi_02
Poor you, I feel sorry for you.

:devil: :devil:

you an engineer?

accordboi_02
10-07-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by davidI

you an engineer?

haha, nope.
But I can tell you that I have BComm people working for me, and I don't have a MGMT degree.

:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
10-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Overrated :)

accordboi_02
10-07-2003, 11:39 PM
I had one friend that got her BComm FNCE with a 3.9, and she told me when she went to interviews, the best thing the potential employers could say was: "Well, at least you can work well in groups"

LOL

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Another friend of mine got a MBA in one year from UofC, all he did was use basic regression on some marketing data, and it mystified the profs at his thesis defense, lol!

max_boost
10-07-2003, 11:41 PM
haha whatever

I think we have more business diploma students from SAIT! lol
We are done by year two :rofl:

maximus
10-07-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
haha whatever

I think we have more business diploma students from SAIT! lol
We are done by year two :rofl:

Thats why its called a diploma....2 years. A degree is takes 4. ;)

accordboi_02
10-07-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by maximus

Thats why its called a diploma....2 years. A degree is takes 4. ;)

Yeah, but sadly, from what I've seen, more SAIT students with their diplomas get jobs than Haskayne students...

gkAeris
10-08-2003, 12:08 AM
i know i think's its all through connections and your ability to talk!

but then again you never hear about those people who DO have a degree and have a decent job...

shrugs i'm still planning to grad in mgst/acct

davidI
10-08-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by accordboi_02

Yeah, but sadly, from what I've seen, more SAIT students with their diplomas get jobs than Haskayne students...

Ugh...last year 99% of U of C business students who wanted a job got a job.

Personally I'm now majoring in Petroleum and Land Management and like a few other people have said, it's all about your networks and contacts!

When I say Management I guess I also mean to imply pre-management and economics degrees that are taking the same courses. I just always see lots of cars with beyond stickers parked in lots outside of Scurfield...

Mckenzie
10-08-2003, 08:04 AM
2nd year here. I think the stat on "99% of graduates got jobs" is a little off. From what I heard last year, 90% of the people with a finance degree did NOT get jobs.

My ex graduated last year with an Insurance and Risk Management Degree and she is now working for State Farm, making salary= to just under $20 an hour, full benefits, holidays, etc.

I think the finance degree is overrated and over-used now.

accordboi_02
10-08-2003, 08:43 AM

Ugh...last year 99% of U of C business students who wanted a job got a job.

That could be true, but really, who other than the UofC would count line cook at MacDonald's as a job???

wanna-be
10-08-2003, 09:10 AM
haha..i just graduated from there in may.

thich
10-08-2003, 09:14 AM
That could be true, but really, who other than the UofC would count line cook at MacDonald's as a job???

lol that's harsh.

I feel a lot of ppl IN mgmt don't deserve to be there, that's for sure.
i know so many of my friends and other people who work much harder but don't get in.
whatever happened to a system of merit? :P
most of the students in management are like 2nd or 3rd generation managers in their families and are riding off of their family's name. :thumbdow

I'm in my 3rd year with Marketing as my concentration.
I think it is somewhat overrated in that most ppl come into mgmt with high expectations but don't work hard for where they want to end up...
a lot of ppl also don't have a lot of experience, so that counts as a limiting factor as well in finding a job.

too many ppl who want to graduate and live the rest of their lives playing golf :P

B17a
10-08-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by thich

most of the students in management are like 2nd or 3rd generation managers in their families and are riding off of their family's name. :thumbdow

How do you figure this?? At least when I was there, your last name didn't have any impact on a) your admission to the faculty and b) your marks.

Ajay
10-08-2003, 01:09 PM
I think what he was trying to say is not everyone in management requires a degree to become a manager. Alot of the positions in certain companies aren't determined by your credentials but rather who you know and if you're in a family business you're more than likely going to move up the ladder faster than people that are more qualified than you. It's a term called nepotism.

A friend of mine was doing a SGMA class last year and he told me one of the people in charge of the Co-Op program for Haskayne came in and gave them a detailed presentation of what employers look for in a potential employee. It was a list of about 20 different things and close to the bottom of that list was GPA, degree obtained was in the middle somewhere. The very top of the list was personality.

Doesn't matter the credentials and experience...if you can't impress someone in the interview you're not gonna get the job either way. A friend of a friend graduated from DeVry and the way it works there is if you have a high enough GPA they'll hook you up with job interviews, this dude had an insanely high GPA and got so many job interviews given to him but he's a dork and couldn't talk to people. So now after spending over $40K at DeVry he's working at Office Depot downtown on the corner of 5th St and 4th Ave.

But DeVry sucks ass anyway!! :guns:

thich
10-08-2003, 03:06 PM
Ajay answered it pretty much on the dot.
A lot of these guys and gals I know will either get a job right away with their parents' company or their parents' will hook them up with a job elsewhere.

a few weeks ago, our professor in one of my business courses talked about a project in another one of her classes last year where the students had to get into groups of 6 ppl and had to make up business plans and present business proposals; there was one group that was competing for the best proposal.. in her own words: "you could tell they were filthy rich just from their last names because these names are all widely-known in the Calgary business community" just proposed that their parents would pay each of them $5 million EACH to fund the proposed business plan.

i guess what i'm trying to say is it's unfair that some ppl get a free ride when there are a lot more deserving ppl who should have the opportunity for the education

B17a
10-08-2003, 03:09 PM
I see what you mean now. I hear ya, but my experience and I've been through what you've just described is. It'll catch up to them. Hard work always pays off.

Wildcat
10-08-2003, 03:10 PM

you an engineer?

haha, why is it that the engineers at U of C think they run the show? :rofl:

im in management... but at U leth

thich
10-08-2003, 03:24 PM
i have a lot of engineer friends.
i don't have any problems with the Asian ones... but most of the white engineers are crazy... got nothing to do. :P

Ajay
10-08-2003, 04:38 PM
Engineering and Managment are probably the two most funded faculties at the UofC.

Always competeing for the DOLLA'S!

I heard that the Haskayne dude gave the UofC some insane amount of money to use his name. Can't imagine that happening in any social science discipline (maybe econ), or pretty much any other faculty at the UofC.

kaput
10-08-2003, 07:14 PM

thich
10-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
Engineering and Managment are probably the two most funded faculties at the UofC.

Always competeing for the DOLLA'S!

I heard that the Haskayne dude gave the UofC some insane amount of money to use his name. Can't imagine that happening in any social science discipline (maybe econ), or pretty much any other faculty at the UofC.

Haskayne gave the school $16 million; $12million in land though.
That land will come to some good use if they decide to build an off campus facility... but wut would it be used for? research?... private Haskayne School of Business gym and club :bigpimp:

Weapon_R
10-08-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by kaput

Because we do.

hahaha too bad you are going to be under the command and guidance of the management students for the rest of your working life... :rofl:

Ajay
10-08-2003, 09:45 PM

Haskayne gave the school $16 million; $12million in land though.
That land will come to some good use if they decide to build an off campus facility... but wut would it be used for? research?... private Haskayne School of Business gym and club :bigpimp:

I hate Harvey...he's probably at home rolling around in $1000 bills while the student population of UofC eats Kraft Dinner simutaneously.

Weapon_R
10-08-2003, 10:49 PM

I hate Harvey...he's probably at home rolling around in $1000 bills while the student population of UofC eats Kraft Dinner simutaneously.

What's even more interesting about Harvey, and a little off topic, is that he receives a salary of nearly $300,000/year including perks, while our Prime Minister makes about $100,000/year less. Fucked up world we live in...

thich
10-09-2003, 12:15 AM
that's nothing... remember how last year he and his vice president had to put a cap or take a cut on their salary??
yeesh!!

AS IF they aren't making enough money!
what does he need all that money for tho? to feed his 20 children? blah.
i can see that money being used in many other places.
university cut a few good profs last year, including that sociology prof.

accordboi_02
10-09-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

hahaha too bad you are going to be under the command and guidance of the management students for the rest of your working life... :rofl:

Another one has fallen for the Haskayne propaganda... dude, engineers don't work at MacDonald's or Wendy's usually; they usually get real jobs!!

Oh, and no, I am not an Engineer!

Ajay
10-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Yah alot of good profs have left because of Harvey. I know which Soci prof you're talking about...can't remember her name but apparently she was awesome.

My sister did a bunch of Soci classes with her.

I didn't know he made $300K a year.....shit you never see the motherfucker around at all. But that's probably a good thing cause half the student body at UofC would probably beat his ass if they saw him just chillin and having lunch in Mac Hall.

Fuji
10-09-2003, 10:29 AM
Bottom Line GPA matters regardless of wht anyone says. If you don't have at least a 3.0 you have not put in enough effort or don't care or not cut out for it. Trust me. I am dumb but I manage pretty decent grades with work. All employers look at grades, and all Oil and gas companies require about a 3.3 minimum.

I think what he was trying to say is not everyone in management requires a degree to become a manager. Alot of the positions in certain companies aren't determined by your credentials but rather who you know and if you're in a family business you're more than likely going to move up the ladder faster than people that are more qualified than you. It's a term called nepotism.

A friend of mine was doing a SGMA class last year and he told me one of the people in charge of the Co-Op program for Haskayne came in and gave them a detailed presentation of what employers look for in a potential employee. It was a list of about 20 different things and close to the bottom of that list was GPA, degree obtained was in the middle somewhere. The very top of the list was personality.

Doesn't matter the credentials and experience...if you can't impress someone in the interview you're not gonna get the job either way. A friend of a friend graduated from DeVry and the way it works there is if you have a high enough GPA they'll hook you up with job interviews, this dude had an insanely high GPA and got so many job interviews given to him but he's a dork and couldn't talk to people. So now after spending over $40K at DeVry he's working at Office Depot downtown on the corner of 5th St and 4th Ave.

But DeVry sucks ass anyway!! :guns:

davidI
10-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Fuji
Bottom Line GPA matters regardless of wht anyone says. If you don't have at least a 3.0 you have not put in enough effort or don't care or not cut out for it. Trust me. I am dumb but I manage pretty decent grades with work. All employers look at grades, and all Oil and gas companies require about a 3.3 minimum.

My first year GPA was under a 3 - I've already gotten job offer from a few people in large oil companies and I'm only in second year right now. Honestly, I'd rather concentrate on knowing the right people so I can be networked when I'm out of school than worry about waht my marks are on various group projects. Most people know that your GPA depends a lot on the luck of the draw ie. who your profs are and how hard they mark. If there was a standardized system across classes that would be much better IMO.

accordboi_02
10-09-2003, 10:48 AM
Yah alot of good profs have left because of Harvey. I know which Soci prof you're talking about...can't remember her name but apparently she was awesome.

My sister did a bunch of Soci classes with her.

I didn't know he made $300K a year.....shit you never see the motherfucker around at all. But that's probably a good thing cause half the student body at UofC would probably beat his ass if they saw him just chillin and having lunch in Mac Hall.

It was Linda Henderson who got axed, but there were other reasons behind it. She only taught, she did no research or anything like that, so even though students loved her, she really didn't DO anything for the university. Politics yes, and it sucks, but he didn't do it just to keep his salary.

wanna-be
10-09-2003, 12:59 PM

My first year GPA was under a 3 - I've already gotten job offer from a few people in large oil companies and I'm only in second year right now. Honestly, I'd rather concentrate on knowing the right people so I can be networked when I'm out of school than worry about waht my marks are on various group projects. Most people know that your GPA depends a lot on the luck of the draw ie. who your profs are and how hard they mark. If there was a standardized system across classes that would be much better IMO.

getting a job offer to become a janitor doesnt' count
:tongue:

syeve
10-09-2003, 01:11 PM
McManagement...meh....

its 95% who you know...I have an econ degree (graduated two years ago) and Im making more and will continue to make more than ANY of my friends that graduated from Mgmt.

davidI
10-09-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by wanna-be

getting a job offer to become a janitor doesnt' count
:tongue:

So much hate! I'm just wondering what programs everyone that is offering so much criticism are taking - and what their future jobs / job offers are?

gkAeris
10-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by syeve
McManagement...meh....

its 95% who you know...I have an econ degree (graduated two years ago) and Im making more and will continue to make more than ANY of my friends that graduated from Mgmt.

what kind of job did u get with ur econ degree?

szw
10-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Umm...can someone tell me what management ppl do? Manage stuff? What do you learn in school? haha

I asked my friend in management...he couldn't tell me

B17a
10-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by szw
Umm...can someone tell me what management ppl do? Manage stuff? What do you learn in school? haha

I asked my friend in management...he couldn't tell me

Management is the general description, you can major in things like accounting, finance, marketing, HR, Info systems, etc. etc. So yes you can "manage" per se, but a B.Comm is more geared towards being a monkey rather than the puppet master!

kaput
10-09-2003, 05:30 PM

RiCE-DaDDy
10-09-2003, 06:11 PM
yea what distinction is there between econ and mgmt?

Ajay
10-09-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
yea what distinction is there between econ and mgmt?

Management - BComm
Econ - BA

Essentially a BA in Econ can get you relatively the same jobs as a BComm in Finance or Marketing can but some employers look at that BComm as a better thing than a BA. I don't agree with that but all my friends in managment seem to think so! :rolleyes:

RiCE-DaDDy
10-09-2003, 06:24 PM
yea mgmt faculty seems more "special"

Aleks
10-09-2003, 06:56 PM

Eh, I'm pretty sure it's going to be the other way around. I have a lot of things working in my favor ;)

I agree, you can make a manager out of an engineer but not the other way around. All my managers were engineers at a downtown oil and gas company

syeve
10-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by gkAeris

what kind of job did u get with ur econ degree?

Im VP of a small non-banking trust based in Alberta

ShOwOfF
10-09-2003, 07:16 PM
mgmt and engineering are always competing against each other. i read somewhere that theres a paintball competition between the two faculties sometime this month. Anyone know any info on this :guns: engineers

JJLuke
10-09-2003, 07:40 PM
Yeah funny lol, just reading this we just had it and none of the 'geers showed up. What a bunch of turkeys.

Bleh bleh midterms, and talking about how they like to drink and party.

RiCE-DaDDy
10-09-2003, 07:42 PM
i hear engg pulling off the craziest pranks tho.

my friends sister went to u of a (i think) a few years back and they converted a dorm room into an aquarium with a small shark and everything!

ShOwOfF
10-09-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by JJLuke
Yeah funny lol, just reading this we just had it and none of the 'geers showed up. What a bunch of turkeys.

Bleh bleh midterms, and talking about how they like to drink and party.

FUK!!!!!!!! who organized it? CUS?

kaput
10-09-2003, 07:45 PM

davidI
10-09-2003, 07:50 PM
I'm pretty sure teh paintball was today actually. i was going to go but I have a mid-term tomorrow :(

JJLuke
10-10-2003, 10:23 PM
TSE organized it... ah well shit stinks, we had fun, though it was a negative net present value making our own students sore...

kaput
10-11-2003, 02:46 AM

V6-BoI
10-11-2003, 03:21 AM

Your right. I guess nobody showed up cause nobody knew :dunno: I'm sure I would have noticed if they put the posters up a week in advance, because I might have just gone for it. I think they must have been late though, cause all the posters say 'first 8 people to sign up get to go' sounds kinda desperate. Ah well.

Guess Engg will have to own management some other time.

kaput
10-11-2003, 11:09 AM

thich
10-11-2003, 03:24 PM
dang... gonna have to like avoid going to scurf while you guys are there then....
man.... could you guys TRY being more normal sometimes with your silly pranks?
people have to study... time is money ! ;)

accordboi_02
10-12-2003, 02:48 AM

people have to study... time is money ! ;)

Unless you're a management student, then you're just wasting time and money!!

:devil:

thich
10-12-2003, 03:28 PM
now that was a low blow :tongue:

CanadianFC
10-14-2003, 07:56 PM
It seems that the majority of the people who are bitter about Mgmt are the ones that didn't get in. Abeit it is a very Cocky and somewhat overrated Faculty. But if you are in it then it is a different story. I am in my last year, I've learned alot from the courses I took, even if I don't get a desirable job some of the things I learned in Finance and Risk I can apply to my everyday activities. What makes working my ass off for 3.5 in second year is the fun associated with the faculty. It's a great faculty and probably the most social, the profs are fun, you can actually talk to them and joke around, the students know how to take care of themselves, there's lot of eye candy around Scurf, and no one is shy to talk to another person.
The clubs are always running good social events, and the computer labs are conviently located for easy access. You actually have to work with other people in every single class; like in the real world as opposed to the majority of other classes. Where it is just read read read, write some sort of report and then write your exam style found in most other courses. You meet alot of cool people in MGMT and they remain friends outside of school, alot of good networking opportunities are present there. If anyone is not shy come by and say hi to me during the Access 317 seminars later on this month. I'll be the guy teaching them.

accordboi_02
10-14-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by CanadianFC
It seems that the majority of the people who are bitter about Mgmt are the ones that didn't get in.

Actually, I could have got in, no prob, had a 3.7; but didn't want to.
;)
And I am not an Engineer, but Engineering looks like a fun faculty to be in as well...

Ajay
10-14-2003, 08:10 PM
I agree with CanadianFC that alot of people are bitter towards MGMT but I don't think it's necessarily the fact that people didn't get in. Alot of it has to do with the attitude of alot of MGMT students. A fair amount of MGMT students think just cause they're in MGMT they're the shit and no one compares to them. I'm not saying that's the case with all MGMT students but a fair amount!

That's why I'm kinda bitter towards Haskayne cause alot of students in MGMT think they the shit and no one is as good as them.

Wildcat
10-14-2003, 08:26 PM
I agree with CanadianFC that alot of people are bitter towards MGMT but I don't think it's necessarily the fact that people didn't get in. Alot of it has to do with the attitude of alot of MGMT students. A fair amount of MGMT students think just cause they're in MGMT they're the shit and no one compares to them. I'm not saying that's the case with all MGMT students but a fair amount!

That's why I'm kinda bitter towards Haskayne cause alot of students in MGMT think they the shit and no one is as good as them.

nah man, thats what eng's are like.

Ajay
10-14-2003, 09:59 PM
Engineers are the same as MGMT students....all thinking they the shit.

kaput
10-14-2003, 10:07 PM

thich
10-14-2003, 10:28 PM
:werd: CanadianFC said it best.

like i said earlier... i don't like the fact that a lot of them are so stuck up... many of them ARE rich and second/third-gen managers too tho... so :dunno:

I worked my butt off to get into MGMT and I still have friends who are trying their best to get in while other ppl just cruise on in with easy marks from high school and other places :P

Gainsbarre
12-07-2003, 06:55 PM
I'm in 3rd year management.

I don't think it's that great. At least business classes are held in decent buildings (Scurfield Hall/Professional Faculties)

pinoyhero
12-07-2003, 06:57 PM
1st year...MBA

Pacman
12-13-2003, 01:00 PM
did a finance degree at UofC, now working in sales.

R-Audi
12-13-2003, 08:13 PM
I believe it was said best earlier on, IMO it is around 20% what you know (marks etc) and around 80% who you know. I am down in UofL, so I don't know the specifics of each faculty, but from my experience, it is the faculties that are involved the most in their particular business communities that get their students the most jobs. I know CUS and TSE try to get local business involved, and I think that is the best thing you can do as a student is to participate in these events, and go to conferences. As much as people think being a "clubbie" may not be considered cool to some, they are the ones ithat are nteracting with the faculty and business community the most. In the end, my money is that they are the ones getting the jobs.

Chim
01-11-2004, 11:21 PM
I keep hearing stuff about how hard it is to make it into 3rd year BComm.

What is the usual GPA required to not get cut out? Right now I'm at 3.3 and I'm 1st year lol I should really stop slacking...

Gainsbarre
01-12-2004, 07:42 AM
Here's a website with some good info. The cutoff for 3rd year BComm in 2003 was 3.35; it was 3.19 in 2002.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/averages.html

You shouldn't worry too much..I totally slacked off in my first year and got a 2.78 GPA. Came back with a 3.72 GPA in my second year and got into the BComm programme easily. It gets much easier after your first year. Just be sure to get the more painful junior courses (such as STAT 213 and STAT 217) out of your way in the first year or during the spring/summer so they won't count towards your 3rd year admission average..they'll take the 10 courses from your second year and calculate the GPA achieved on these courses for admission purposes.