PDA

View Full Version : Bike Shopping...

davidI
02-05-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm looking to buy a hardtail bike in the next few weeks for <$800. It will mostly be used for commuting downtown but I want it to be burly enough for the occasional foray into the mountains as well. Any suggestions / recommendations for which model and where to buy it? Do any shops have sales that I should wait for?

I'd like to be able to ride to work in the winter as well as summer so if anyone has recommendations for "must-have" winter cycling apparel I'd like to hear it as well.

Despair*
02-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Usually you will start seeing big bike sales at the end of february and the beginning of March as they try to clear out their remaining last season stock. You should keep an eye on shops like bowcycle as they usually post on their site when they are close to having a big sale.
http://www.bowcycle.com/bc09/index.shtml

I personally like bowcycle. But there are alot of other bike shops in Calgary, some better than others. And they usually carefully a different selection of bikes depending on what vendors they are associated with.

www.thebikeshop.com
http://www.thecyclepath.ca/
http://www.calgarycycle.com/

You should also take a look at some of the bike shops now and get an idea what you are looking for. When it comes sale time there will be a ton of good deals, and the stuff usually sells fairly quick depending on whats left and there are usually some amazing details.

I'm sure a lot of guys on this site can point you in the direction of a good hardtail.

mazdavirgin
02-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Buy norco... Better parts for less money since you don't pay for the company name like you do with specialized or kona. Sasquatch/Bigfoot are some bikes that would be pretty damn burly for commuting but closeish to your price range. Kokanee/storm for a more XC influenced bike... B&P cycle typically has the better prices of the bike shops around town.

98type_r
02-05-2009, 02:12 PM
You should already see some sales clearing out last years stock. I'd suggest you pop into all the shop to see what they have left in stock in your size. General rule of thumb if you'll be getting the pretty much same level of parts on bikes in the same price range. So it all comes down to the frame preference.
I'd suggest you check at the Bike Shop on 11th ave and 7th street, you might find a Rocky Mountain or a Specialized mtn bike in your price range.

JWL
02-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r
You should already see some sales clearing out last years stock. I'd suggest you pop into all the shop to see what they have left in stock in your size. General rule of thumb if you'll be getting the pretty much same level of parts on bikes in the same price range. So it all comes down to the frame preference.
I'd suggest you check at the Bike Shop on 11th ave and 7th street, you might find a Rocky Mountain or a Specialized mtn bike in your price range.

The Bike Shop does have their sale on now - went there last week.

davidI
02-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Great, thanks guys. Guess it's time to start looking now!

alloroc
02-05-2009, 05:14 PM
I would hurry.

I think 2209 will be a year all the manufacturers will raise prices.

Lagerstatten.ca
02-05-2009, 05:19 PM
For that price you can probably find a used Specialized P3...very nice hardtail when it came out a couple of years back.

Or a Kona Stuff - I have two friends with them and they're still kicking around.

Little Dragon
02-05-2009, 05:33 PM
If you want I have a 2008 KHS DJ50, new with some upgrades.
It might be abit heavy for cycling to work but its good for DJing and Freeriding.

If not, checkout used bikes.
I've gotten killer deals from guys locally and across the country on used bikes.

Check www.pinkbike.com/buysell for some bike ads. Narrow it down to Calgary and you should find plenty of bikes you might like.

:thumbsup:

bmeier
02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
the best commuter bike i have ever had is a Kona Jake the Snake cyclocross bike...

Its fast enough for commuting and definitely will handle moderate offroad use. In fact this is probably one of the best all around bikes i have ever owned. it is slightly above your price range though. plus it sounds like you want a mountain bike

98type_r
02-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by bmeier
the best commuter bike i have ever had is a Kona Jake the Snake cyclocross bike...

Its fast enough for commuting and definitely will handle moderate offroad use. In fact this is probably one of the best all around bikes i have ever owned. it is slightly above your price range though. plus it sounds like you want a mountain bike

:werd: cyclocross bikes are ideal for commuting. It seems like everyone in this city seems to love their mountain bikes instead.