PDA

View Full Version : Phone scams and telemarketers

G-ZUS
02-05-2009, 05:34 PM
I get calls from this number on my cell phone all the time, they call me like 3-4 times I day. If I answer, they just hang up. It's damn annoying :thumbsdow 561-883-3009. If I call it back I get a machine saying its out of service

xLostx
02-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Romelia Lantigua (561) 883-3009 9713 Carousel Cir S,Boca Raton, FL 33434

Vagabond142
02-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I keep getting a call from 19096509175 warning me that it's my "SECOND NOTICE TO RENEW MY NEW VEHICLE WARRANTY!"

Hmmm... if you look over yonder <--- I do NOT drive a new vehicle XD In fact, my vehicle is pushing 19 years old <_<

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Got one from 2535079197.

When I googled it, it came up as some spanish scam that says you won $500.

It's out of Tacoma Washington?

xLostx
02-05-2009, 05:39 PM
^^ that's a scam vagabond

mo_money2supe
02-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
I keep getting a call from 19096509175 warning me that it's my &quot;SECOND NOTICE TO RENEW MY NEW VEHICLE WARRANTY!&quot;

Hmmm... if you look over yonder &lt;--- I do NOT drive a new vehicle XD In fact, my vehicle is pushing 19 years old &lt;_&lt;

Global News just did a report on this scam a few days ago. You could probably find a video on their website still.

EDIT: http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/calgary/video/index.html Look under Global Calgary Top Stories --> "Warranty Warning"

D'z Nutz
02-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Got one from 2535079197.

These fuckers just called me this afternoon too.

ryanallan
02-05-2009, 06:27 PM
I get calls from 1-866-512-7540 all the time

And just as I was typing it into google they called :eek:

Mixalot27
02-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe

Global News just did a report on this scam a few days ago. You could probably find a video on their website still.

EDIT: http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/calgary/video/index.html Look under Global Calgary Top Stories --&gt; &quot;Warranty Warning&quot;

Wow thats quite the story. So these companies have actually gotten a hold of the numbers in the "do not call" registry and are using them to scam/solicit people? Wow sounds like a kickass system. I'm glad I was too lazy to bother registering my number in the first place.

sen.say.shun
02-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Got one from 2535079197.

Holy shit, I just got a call from that number 5 minutes ago.
So annoying!

GQBalla
02-05-2009, 06:56 PM
i always get the stupid warranty call

adidas
02-05-2009, 06:59 PM
i get about 5 different calls everyday after putting my number on the NDCL

STUPID :banghead:

RY213
02-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I keep getting a call from 19096509175 warning me that it's my &quot;SECOND NOTICE TO RENEW MY NEW VEHICLE WARRANTY!&quot;

Hmmm... if you look over yonder &lt;--- I do NOT drive a new vehicle XD In fact, my vehicle is pushing 19 years old &lt;_&lt;

I just got a call from this number today too!!!

JordanLotoski
02-05-2009, 07:39 PM
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/DNCL/brochure_consumer.htm

badatusrnames
02-05-2009, 07:42 PM
I had a missed call from a number registered in California (Catalina Island to be exact).

Not sure how they got my number...

Kloubek
02-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I put my name on the do-not-call registry, and now I'm getting more calls than ever! I sure hope the government was wise enough to make the list inaccessible in mass to the companies...

Last one (which I get services from) are Royal Bank. The guy calls up, pitching the RBC Visa. I already have a Visa... I don't need another. Before he says more than 2 lines, I tell him plainly I do not need another Visa. He continues with his speel. I stop him the next sentence, and tell him again. Remember - he's only spoken about 3 lines.

Now the he gets the hint, he asks "Oh... Can you please let me know which part of this offer wasn't of interest to you?"

Listen kid. I didn't HEAR your offer. I stopped you before you had the chance to tell me about it's many advantages. I'm not disinterested with ASPECTS of the damn card - I already told you twice, I was not interested in another card at all. I don't do well with tons of credit. I know nothing about the offer, other than the fact it's a Visa and I don't care.

So I simply tell him. "Umm.... because I'm not looking for another Visa?!?!"

Then he starts in about the benfits again.

"Well yes, but the benefits..." Grrrr...

Sorry... that's enough.

*click*

FUCK OFF AND DIE.

TomcoPDR
02-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

FUCK OFF AND DIE.

Simple as that :thumbsup:

You guys ever ask female telemarketers what they're wearing, and that you're just a little distracted cuz you're masterbating, etc... Can't believe some friends tell me that say that.

hampstor
02-05-2009, 08:18 PM
I kept getting calls from the Herald. I told them to stop calling, but they just didnt listen. So the last time they called me, the guy went thru his thing, i said no, he said but we'll be able to give you access online so you can view it from anywhere in the world!

I told him 'listen, i just dont like your writers. They all suck and are biased.' there was silence, and then he goes, "well my script has nothing for that. " I haven't had a call from the Herald now in over a week :clap:

CaptainReboot
02-05-2009, 08:25 PM
I keep getting calls from 1-877-452-5335

badatusrnames
02-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I put my name on the do-not-call registry, and now I'm getting more calls than ever! I sure hope the government was wise enough to make the list inaccessible in mass to the companies...

Last one (which I get services from) are Royal Bank. The guy calls up, pitching the RBC Visa. I already have a Visa... I don't need another. Before he says more than 2 lines, I tell him plainly I do not need another Visa. He continues with his speel. I stop him the next sentence, and tell him again. Remember - he's only spoken about 3 lines.

Now the he gets the hint, he asks &quot;Oh... Can you please let me know which part of this offer wasn't of interest to you?&quot;

Listen kid. I didn't HEAR your offer. I stopped you before you had the chance to tell me about it's many advantages. I'm not disinterested with ASPECTS of the damn card - I already told you twice, I was not interested in another card at all. I don't do well with tons of credit. I know nothing about the offer, other than the fact it's a Visa and I don't care.

So I simply tell him. &quot;Umm.... because I'm not looking for another Visa?!?!&quot;

Then he starts in about the benfits again.

&quot;Well yes, but the benefits...&quot; Grrrr...

Sorry... that's enough.

*click*

FUCK OFF AND DIE.

Originally posted by hampstor
I kept getting calls from the Herald. I told them to stop calling, but they just didnt listen. So the last time they called me, the guy went thru his thing, i said no, he said but we'll be able to give you access online so you can view it from anywhere in the world!

I told him 'listen, i just dont like your writers. They all suck and are biased.' there was silence, and then he goes, &quot;well my script has nothing for that. &quot; I haven't had a call from the Herald now in over a week :clap:

I don't understand why you guys even give them any sort of courtesy and stay on the line. I simply just hang up without saying anything past hello when I answer.

It sounds like doing that would save both of you some stress...

mowglee
02-05-2009, 08:33 PM
i get blank texts from some wehere, but in the spot where it usually shows the number it shows a triangle and "@"...kinda creeps me out lol

msommers
02-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
I had a missed call from a number registered in California (Catalina Island to be exact).

Not sure how they got my number...

Same here, wtf

Dumbass17
02-05-2009, 08:35 PM
fuck me
these phone scams are getting annoying!

i think the robotic megatron sounding voice has called me 4 times in the last 2 weeks letting me know i've won a free trip to cancun

anyone else getting these?

Jeremiah
02-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Dudde! Its cuz you actually won

n1zm0
02-05-2009, 08:51 PM
i got one yesterday from here (http://www.reversephonedetective.com/searchresults.php?p=321-459-1222)

was an automated message saying to call some number to have a conference call with some major investment guy for some tips on how to make millions at 7 pm eastern time, you dont even need telemarketers these days just some gdamned recording :banghead:

spikerS
02-05-2009, 08:57 PM
little trick guys. if your phone rings, and caller ID is not a number you recognize, pick up, count to 3, then say hello. The automated dialers will auto hang-up if it does not hear anything after a call is connected.

hampstor
02-05-2009, 10:16 PM

I don't understand why you guys even give them any sort of courtesy and stay on the line. I simply just hang up without saying anything past hello when I answer.

It sounds like doing that would save both of you some stress...

Well it's very easy - the other times I just hung up and they called back same day, next day etc. It's been over a week now and i haven't got a call from them. That brief conversation has saved me repeated phone calls.

badatusrnames
02-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Same here, wtf

Yeah my cell number isn't listed anywhere, posted publicly or on the do not call list.

Originally posted by hampstor

Well it's very easy - the other times I just hung up and they called back same day, next day etc. It's been over a week now and i haven't got a call from them. That brief conversation has saved me repeated phone calls.

Haha I suppose.

CMW403
02-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by mowglee
i get blank texts from some wehere, but in the spot where it usually shows the number it shows a triangle and &quot;@&quot;...kinda creeps me out lol

yeah i get those right after i empty my voicemail inbox

Charon
02-05-2009, 11:10 PM
I interrupt with one line
"Take me off your calling list"

Thus far, every time that has been a call stopper. They answer with an "Ok" or "We will remove you" and that is it.

Stops em dead not sure why but it seems to work.

Amysicle
02-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Charon
I interrupt with one line
&quot;Take me off your calling list&quot;

Thus far, every time that has been a call stopper. They answer with an &quot;Ok&quot; or &quot;We will remove you&quot; and that is it.

Stops em dead not sure why but it seems to work. :werd: I try to do it politely and they seem to comply. I just hate the ones where it's a machine and I'm not sure if I should hit a number to try and reach a real person to ask to be taken off.

littledan
02-06-2009, 12:10 AM
So whats the deal with the warranty scam?? They called me today and my gf picked up my phone and then hung up. how do they scam you? do they charge your cell phone bill somehow?

mo_money2supe
02-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by littledan
So whats the deal with the warranty scam?? They called me today and my gf picked up my phone and then hung up. how do they scam you? do they charge your cell phone bill somehow?

Did you watch the news article? They said that this company tries to sell you warranty for your car, which is essentially just a 3rd party insurance company selling you their product. If you so choose to buy warranty for your vehicle, then go ahead (with potential risks of being scammed for more money), or just simply not give out any of your personal info by ignoring their calls and spiel.

copynpaste
02-06-2009, 12:42 AM
These callers are fuckin pissing me off, god everytime they call my damn house I just wish I could stick my arm in the phone and pull them out from where they are.

GOD THEY ARE FUCKIN ANNOYING!!!

Thankfully I dont get a single call on my cell, but I get at least 6 calls every fuckin day. And when I dont answer, they just spam my inbox so then I have to go and empty it all out every few days.

I mean its bad enough getting all the junk mail through physical mail, but getting constantly called is another :banghead:

copynpaste
02-06-2009, 12:43 AM

Big scam going around right now, there was an article about it in the paper last week. Sadly tons of people are falling for it. Another is people calling saying they are from your bank head branch and are in the process of updating their system and need to verify your account and billing info.

Bumjubeo
02-06-2009, 06:15 AM
Yeah my cell number isn't listed anywhere, posted publicly or on the do not call list.

If its a Telus Cell number, they recently sold their Cell Phone number list.

G-ZUS
02-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Im with Rogers, not on the DNCL, just recently got this new cell number too what a piss off :thumbsdow

freshprince1
02-06-2009, 10:16 AM
They are trained and scripted to build value, create urgency and close the deal. If you counter those points, they give up right away.

I never really have a problem because I just say nicely, "thanks for your offer, but I have no need for your product/service and will not buy it. Please take me off your list, Thank you."

I know they're annoying, but they're just trying to earn some money at a lame job. At least they're working.

But if its the scam calls...well, do your worst.

jkupper
02-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Lol the auto insurance scam called my work the other day, wasnt aware that my liquor store had car insurance:rolleyes:

jav_
02-06-2009, 01:52 PM
ive been getting a call from 1-866-907-4792 every single day:banghead:

em2ab
02-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Wow, didn't know about the car warranty scam, they called me a few days ago and I thought it was legit. I was wondering how my 2005 could be out of warranty so soon. Thanks!

spikerS
02-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Bumjubeo

If its a Telus Cell number, they recently sold their Cell Phone number list.

god some people will belive anything. Telus did not do that.

But, Bumjubeo was recently seen at the hospital have a condom and hampster surgically removed!

badatusrnames
02-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Just got a call from:

Carrera M Sanchez

202 Supper Club Rd, Lot 8

Mebane, NC 27302-8559
(919) 304-3635

Just silence on the other end though...

cjab
02-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Just got a call from:

Carrera M Sanchez

202 Supper Club Rd, Lot 8

Mebane, NC 27302-8559
(919) 304-3635

Just silence on the other end though...

I got a call from that number about an hour ago. It was an automated message for the car warranty scam.

95teetee
02-06-2009, 10:36 PM
just went through the 30+ calls on my phone's log- don't have any of the ones you guys listed, but I have a few from each of 'Ontario', 'Quebec', 'Michigan', and 'Ohio'. The District of Columbia phoned the other day...must have been Obama trying to catch up:rofl:

I also get calls from 000-000-0000.

Vagabond142
02-07-2009, 07:19 AM
For telemarketers (on the house landline, as it's flat fee), what my family does is ask to put them on hold, do so, and then leave the phone alone, as in put it on the charger and walk away :)

The longest lasting I think was 5 hours. Came back from lunch and a movie down south and the hold light was still blinking, picked up, and the guy was like "thanks for making my workday easier!" and after that, I had to at least listen to his spiel before saying no thanks :P

Dumbass17
02-07-2009, 11:29 AM
i am LOVING how everyone who put their name on that do not call list, is gettting so many calls. i refused to put my name on it

i had a feeling something like this would happen and a bunch of my friends called me and idiot and that im' paranoid. and BAM, now they are complaining about how many calls they get

sorry if you guys got roped into that do not call list thing as well, i just figure, if it sounds too good to be true, it is!

em2ab
02-19-2009, 07:59 PM
I got the car warranty one a few times now. Today I got one from CIBC because I just paid off a loan with them and the woman was telling me I was preapproved for a larger loan:
her - If you had some extra money at your disposal, what do you think you would do with it?
me - Spend it on hookers.
her - EWWWWWWW!

It was gold! :thumbsup: