PDA

View Full Version : Bentley GT vs Aston Martin DBS vs CL63

kwazy
02-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Looking to get a car more for daily driving. I love the Bentley but the DBS just looks so sexy. The CL looks pimp as hell but i'm not sure it just doesn't give that feeling of 'uniqueness' you get when you pay that much money for a car.

Does anyone know how the DBS will drive on the street as a daily driver? Out of all those cars, that is the sportiest.

Any insights would be great!

R154
02-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Sorry man. I dont think you'll get a reasonable answer on beyond. There are some AM/MERC owners on here, but you will be waiting a while for them to chime in.

A790
02-05-2009, 10:43 PM
I drove a DBS last year and it was absolutely incredible. However, I don't have any experience with the other vehicles. Based on looks alone I'd get the DBS.

Xamim
02-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by A790
I drove a DBS last year and it was absolutely incredible. However, I don't have any experience with the other vehicles. Based on looks alone I'd get the DBS.

:werd:

I also can only comment on the looks. I was never a fan of how the Bentley looks, its just too big IMO. The Merc is just that, a Merc. Plenty of those on the streets. So my vote goes to the DBS, a great looking car.

A790
02-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Xamim

:werd:

I also can only comment on the looks. I was never a fan of how the Bentley looks, its just too big IMO. The Merc is just that, a Merc. Plenty of those on the streets. So my vote goes to the DBS, a great looking car.
Not only that, but you don't see AM's everywhere. In Toronto there's a Merc down every street.

atgilchrist
02-05-2009, 11:33 PM
I know it lacks the power, but I personally like the look of the v8 Vantage more than the DBS. But really, all of the cars you are thinking about are dream machines, you can't go wrong.

Tram Common
02-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Asking for exotic/high end luxury advise on Beyond. :facepalm:

E36M3
02-06-2009, 05:38 AM
I've driven the Bentley Continentals extensively and they are excellent daily drivers. They are particularly great for areas that have a lot of inclement weather as they are excellent on snow and ice. You haven't mentioned wether or not this is a factor, but if it is, the Bentley wins hands down.. it is the best winter car I've ever had. The Bentley feels the most special of these three cars to me, and to my eye it is by far the best looking.

The CL is a great car.. I think the 63 is a poor choice of motor for this particular car, and would recommend looking at one of the V12 models if you think that the power or exclusivity is worth the additional price. Personally, I'd find it hard to stretch above the 550 model, but that is just me. Big AMGs would be a lot of fun in Europe, but in Canada their capabilities are largely wasted.. useless on the street and boring performance wise (unless you want to be in handcuffs) and useless on the track (due to their extreme weight).

As for the Aston Martin, they are beautiful looking cars but I don't think that they are in the same class as Bentley or Mercedes in terms of engineering and refinement. The Aston would have to be a purely emotional choice, albeit one that is hard to fault because of its beautiful design. Since I can't really tell the difference between the various Astons, I'd probably opt for the new Aston Vantage 12 over the DBS, but again that is personal preference and would also be an attempt to save some money. I'd also seriously consider the precipitous depreciation curve associated with these cars (or at least all of the other recent Aston models) which would add significantly to the total cost of ownership. I've only had a chance to see this car in person for a couple hours, and it was not particularly impressive to me. Again, to each his own.

Originally posted by kwazy
Looking to get a car more for daily driving. I love the Bentley but the DBS just looks so sexy. The CL looks pimp as hell but i'm not sure it just doesn't give that feeling of 'uniqueness' you get when you pay that much money for a car.

Does anyone know how the DBS will drive on the street as a daily driver? Out of all those cars, that is the sportiest.

Any insights would be great!

fixed a couple of spelling mistakes, guess it is getting late

NoMoreG35
02-06-2009, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Tram Common
Asking for exotic/high end luxury advise on Beyond. :facepalm:

All we know about are civics and 240s... :poosie:

redline
02-06-2009, 07:37 AM
I would just buy all three and sell some of the relics in your sig....:facepalm:

badatusrnames
02-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by E36M3
I've driven the Bentley Continentals extensively and they are excellent daily drivers. They are particularly great for areas that have a lot of inclement weather as they are excellent on snow and ice. You haven't mentioned wether or not this is a factor, but if it is, the Bentley wins hands down.. it is the best winter car I've ever had. The Bentley feels the most special of these three cars to me, and to my eye it is by far the best looking.

The CL is a great car.. I think the 63 is a poor choice of motor for this particular car, and would recommend looking at one of the V12 models if you think that the power or exclusivity is worth the additional price. Personally, I'd find it hard to stretch above the 550 model, but that is just me. Big AMGs would be a lot of fun in Europe, but in Canada their capabilities are largely wasted.. useless on the street and boring performance wise (unless you want to be in handcuffs) and useless on the track (due to their extreme weight).

As for the Aston Martin, they are beautiful looking cars but I don't think that they are in the same class as Bentley or Mercedes in terms of engineering and refinement. The Aston would have to be a purely emotional choice, albeit one that is hard to fault because of its beautiful design. Since I can't really tell the difference between the various Astons, I'd probably opt for the new Aston Vantage 12 over the DBS, but again that is personal preference and would also be an attempt to save some money. I'd also seriously consider the precipitous depreciation curve associated with these cars (or at least all of the other recent Aston models) which would add significantly to the total cost of ownership. I've only had a chance to see this car in person for a couple hours, and it was not particularly impressive to me. Again, to each his own.

fixed a couple of spelling mistakes, guess it is getting late

Uh... err. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Good luck Kwazy. Post some pics when you take delivery!

Generic
02-06-2009, 09:26 AM
The C63 isn't actually worth that price; much too expensive and isn't even that quick. Like E36M3 said, take a look at the V12 models, if you want the power.

I drove a Vantage in September, and I was thoroughly impressed. I thought it was stunning how it handled and how it drove (like it was amazing); but as E36M3 said, depreciation is a real factor against it.

I haven't driven/been in a Bentley so I have no comment
it doesn't suffer as terrible of resale as the Vantage. I'm not a Bentley fanboy.

you&me
02-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Buy the Bentley.

As E36M3 said, they're great as a daily driver - comfy, fast and great in slippery conditions.

Since you have a 599 on order, the DBS would be redundant.

The CL63 is a nice car, but not in the same league as the other two. (Maybe the CL65, but I'd instead recommend you just burn your money).

Redlyne_mr2
02-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Whenever I'm in a BCGT I feel like it's my grandpas car, something about it is just so old man, it's not particularly exhilerating to drive and I'm not fond of the looks. It's very very cliche and just doesn't do anything for me. They're a very nice car, I'm not trying to hate, they're just not my style. The CL is, well, it's a CL, no one will notice it, like E36m3 said, the 63 engine makes no sense in this car and once you start upgrading motors really all you're getting is a german muscle car, the interiors are the same as any other benz and it depreciates harder than any of the other 2 models.
The DBS would be my choice for sure, it looks amazing, sounds amazing, it makes the boyracer in me happy with all the CF trim and accents and you can get it in a 6 speed!:) All the small details make it so unique, the way the doors open, the heavy stitching used in the interior, it doesn't have the the class or refinement of the BCGT but it's certainly a car that you could take out on the town for a nice dinner or take it to the track and have a blast.

Originally posted by you&me

Since you have a 599 on order, the DBS would be redundant.

you&me
02-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Whenever I'm in a BCGT I feel like it's my grandpas car, something about it is just so old man, it's not particularly exhilerating to drive and I'm not fond of the looks. It's very very cliche and just doesn't do anything for me. They're a very nice car, I'm not trying to hate, they're just not my style. The CL is, well, it's a CL, no one will notice it, like E36m3 said, the 63 engine makes no sense in this car and once you start upgrading motors really all you're getting is a german muscle car, the interiors are the same as any other benz and it depreciates harder than any of the other 2 models.
The DBS would be my choice for sure, it looks amazing, sounds amazing, it makes the boyracer in me happy with all the CF trim and accents and you can get it in a 6 speed!:) All the small details make it so unique, the way the doors open, the heavy stitching used in the interior, it doesn't have the the class or refinement of the BCGT but it's certainly a car that you could take out on the town for a nice dinner or take it to the track and have a blast.

Not to pick, but there are 4 CL models from MB. The 600 and 65 both depreciate much worse than the 550 or 63.

To be honest, I like the "old man" feel of the Bentley. Makes it feel "proper".

Edit - unless by "other two models" you meant the DBS and GT...

Redlyne_mr2
02-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by you&me

Not to pick, but there are 4 CL models from MB. The 600 and 65 both depreciate much worse than the 550 or 63.

To be honest, I like the "old man" feel of the Bentley. Makes it feel "proper".

Edit - unless by "other two models" you meant the DBS and GT...
Yah just to clear it up, I meant the CL's (all models) depreciate much quicker than the DBS and GT.

Destinova403
02-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Heres my vote:

The continental would be the best over-all car for daily driving... the DBS would be awesome as a weekend warrior, but i LOVE the GT.

http://nitro.ru/upload/bentley-fuck2resize.jpg

adamc
02-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Here's my vote:

I am extremely jealous.

ZorroAMG
02-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Either the DBS or if you can wait for the Vantage V12, get that one....tighter car with better performance than the DBS....

The GT is nice but it depends on your age...it is very old man-ish IMO but a beautiful car nonetheless....

The CL63 is a great car a partner at my company has the CL600 and it is balls faster.....that car is heavy and neeeeeds the torque.....

BigWill
02-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by adamc
Here's my vote:

I am extremely jealous.

:werd: i just want to see your garage!

ZorroAMG
02-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
I've only had a chance to see this car in person for a couple hours, and it was not particularly impressive to me. Again, to each his own.

Oh I see how it is.....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Destinova403
02-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Oh I see how it is.....

its ok... we are all jealous of your car

i have a good pic if you want :P

Jason took it.

you&me
02-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Yah just to clear it up, I meant the CL's (all models) depreciate much quicker than the DBS and GT.

Not entirely sure about that... considering what very lightly used DBS' are available for, it would be a tight race!

ZorroAMG
02-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Actually, folks in this market, everything this side of the truly unique and exotic is plummeting.

None of these cars is really better than the other...

Redlyne_mr2
02-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Actually, folks in this market, everything this side of the truly unique and exotic is plummeting.

None of these cars is really better than the other...
Good point, also keep in mind the time frame. Initial depreciation may be very similar however the Bentleys and Aston's seem to hold their values much more as time progresses while the MB's continue to plumet.

ZorroAMG
02-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Dude, the vantage took a HUGE hit....AM's are far from immune...

chkolny541
02-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by redline
I would just buy all three and sell some of the relics in your sig....:facepalm:

wtf, what relics?

i think that kwazy has been pretty established as a beyond resident baller, hes already proven himself in a past thread

funkedelic2
02-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Here watch this! To be honest with you, i think the DBS is the best looking car i have ever seen in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b97UVBCqPXI

E36M3
02-06-2009, 06:02 PM
I was talking about the DBS. The rear lights in particular look boy racerish to me.. I was kind of surprised that they were stock.

The Vantage looks pretty sweet in person which is why I said I'd take the V12 Vantage over the DBS..

Oh I see how it is.....

ZorroAMG
02-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Haha, I was playing...I know, I'm not a fan of the clear lights on the DBS, but that CF trim and diffuser are nice...

E36M3
02-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Maybe Mugen should make all three for the Vantage..

Haha, I was playing...I know, I'm not a fan of the clear lights on the DBS, but that CF trim and diffuser are nice...

Redlyne_mr2
02-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Personally I like the clear tailights on the DBS, everything about that car is so modern and "cold" and sort of caters to the kid in all of us sort of reminds me of Hublot.

semograd
02-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by NoMoreG35

All we know about are civics and 240s... :poosie: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

natejj
02-07-2009, 06:01 PM
After watching youtube videos on all 3 cars, it is my professional opinion you buy the DBS.

jb--
02-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Write in vote for Maserati Granturismo S

ZorroAMG
02-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Maserati isn't nearly as good as the other choices.