PDA

View Full Version : Galant build

962 kid
02-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Cool to see a beyond project forum finally :D thought I'd be the first one to post up in here, despite my reservations about:

a) posting my car up on beyond, and
b) ruining the sleeper aspect of the car

But oh well. This is the latest incarnation of my car:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/torquemonsters/Galant%20VR-4/Galant1.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/torquemonsters/Galant%20VR-4/IMG_0971.jpg

Picked it up about a month and a half ago, and has gone from this:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/torquemonsters/IMG_1182.jpg

To this (ignore the stock exhaust manifold, I have a new one in the mail haha):

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/6844/photo003ju4.jpg

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1528/img0969ez1.jpg

Important points of the build are

- 2.3 stroker with 9.5:1 CR pistons
- FP3 cams (between 272s and 280s iirc)
- magnus intake mani
- FP race exhaust mani
- RC 750cc injectors
- walbro 255HP
- DSMlink or Megasquirt - I have both sitting in the car, both are plug and play so deciding which to run is tough haha
- HKS EVC EZII
- Evo 3 16g
- 2.5" exhaust with 2 resonators and magnaflow muffler
- evo 8 intercooler with 2.5" aluminum piping
- 4 bolt LSD rear diff
- Built tranny with Evo 1st and 5th, steel shift forks and rails, welded center diff and front LSD
- fidanza 4.3 ceramic clutch

I think that's about it :dunno: hoping to tie up a few loose ends this weekend and fire it up for the first time. I'm going to try and push the diminutive E316G as far as I can on pump gas, and hopefully by then I'll have finished piecing together my holset/meth setup :)

Now everyone else, get your shit up here :clap:

Cooked Rice
02-05-2009, 11:41 PM
:eek: oh baby!

:drool:

My Galant is starting to tick, and smoke a bit on cold startups. Maybe I could revive her this Summer with a motor swap. Also, liking the JDM front end.

CelicaST-162
02-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Sweet Jesus, I won't be revving at you at the lights!:D

EK 2.0
02-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162

It's a DSM...he won't even make it to the lights...:poosie:

962 kid
02-06-2009, 01:12 AM
^^ Screw you CycloneAWD :D

Originally posted by Cooked Rice
:eek: oh baby!

:drool:

My Galant is starting to tick, and smoke a bit on cold startups. Maybe I could revive her this Summer with a motor swap. Also, liking the JDM front end.

Thanks! If yours is on it's way out, then a motor swap is definitely the thing to do haha

Originally posted by CelicaST-162

That's kinda the point ;)

Redlyne_mr2
02-06-2009, 01:13 AM
ISF VS. your white knight.. it's on.

Supa Dexta
02-06-2009, 06:14 AM
...magnus.. ughh. Who built the tranny?

962 kid
02-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
...magnus.. ughh. Who built the tranny?

I like the design of the mangus street manifold more than the JMF one ;) The tranny was built by Angelo here in town.

New manifold in today :D

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7643/photo007sm1.jpg

Redlyne_jr
02-07-2009, 02:12 AM
looks good mike!!! loving the new Manifold.. get this thing running ASAP!!;)

tomt64
02-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Waiting for the update Mike.... :burnout:

962 kid
02-08-2009, 10:12 PM
haha not much of an update... got the new manifold on and the motor topped up with fluids and fired it up for the first time today. Started right up after a couple cranks, very undramatic as far as projects go. Now I just have to figure out how to get it down to a welding shop to get my UICP modified :) (and tie up a quarter million loose ends)

Supa Dexta
02-08-2009, 10:52 PM
What did you end up running on? link?

I'm still waiting to get V3, to see if they get speed density rolled out before I fire mine up again this spring. Twin disk arrives this week, other then that I also have a million small ends to tie up, but nothing too major.

Trini
02-08-2009, 10:54 PM
wow very nice

962 kid
02-08-2009, 10:56 PM
What did you end up running on? link?

I'm still waiting to get V3, to see if they get speed density rolled out before I fire mine up again this spring. Twin disk arrives this week, other then that I also have a million small ends to tie up, but nothing too major.

Yeah, I'm going to stick with the link simply because they finally rolled out V3. I still think MS is the superior system, but the support and ease of use for the link is undeniable. I'm in the same boat though, I'm holding off on V3 until they release the speed-density update. Going from MAF -> MAP back in the day was the best decision I ever made haha. Did you end up going with the tilton unit?

Originally posted by Trini
wow very nice

Supa Dexta
02-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Nah, got a good deal on a used PTT.. It'll do what I need it to. hopefully have it fired up the end of may....

SNAATCH
02-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Killer sleeper! This is a very cool project, interested to see what 1/4 mile time this hog can get. How many WHP are you hoping for?

02-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Nice mike, you've been working on this for a while haven't you? :werd: on how much power your looking to get? Looks good!

ZorroAMG
02-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Nice project, mister!

962 kid
02-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Nah, got a good deal on a used PTT.. It'll do what I need it to. hopefully have it fired up the end of may....

End of May? Are you waiting on parts or going to be unable to work on the car?

Originally posted by SNAATCH
Killer sleeper! This is a very cool project, interested to see what 1/4 mile time this hog can get. How many WHP are you hoping for?

Thanks, it'll be interesting for sure. It's not that hog though, had it on the scales at 3050lbs on a 1/4 tank. To be honest, I have no idea what kind of WHP numbers I'll be making seeing as noone is running a setup with the same parts I am. On the 16g I'd like to see over 300whp, but on the holset I have a feeling I'll be happy with whatever it makes :)

Originally posted by 5.0
Nice mike, you've been working on this for a while haven't you? :werd: on how much power your looking to get? Looks good!

Thanks man. I've had this car for about 2 months or so, the motor was in my talon last year though :p put about 8000km on it before I put the car away for winter (aka broken transmission :().

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Nice project, mister!

Thank you sir :D Race for pinks?

Supa Dexta
02-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
[B]

End of May? Are you waiting on parts or going to be unable to work on the car?

Yeah car is packed away in storage. I won't be dragging it out till may when I finish up working for the summer. Not sure what I'll push for power either, should be over 500 no problem, and hopefully over 6 when I turn it up a bit (28-30lbs) Haven't hit the scale either, but I would think its sub 3k.

95EagleAWD
02-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Since that's my old Galant, I'll have to race you. :P

toastgremlin
02-10-2009, 02:31 PM
White Galants are really good looking cars. It's going to be a really nice sleeper when everything is said and done.

Eleanor
02-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Damn Mike, you'll have to bring this around to the meets this summer :thumbsup:

962 kid
02-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
Since that's my old Galant, I'll have to race you. :P

I was hoping you'd say that haha

Originally posted by toastgremlin
White Galants are really good looking cars. It's going to be a really nice sleeper when everything is said and done.

Thanks, I bolted the exhaust on today and it's really quiet which I'm happy about. Makes it all the more sleeper

Originally posted by Eleanor
Damn Mike, you'll have to bring this around to the meets this summer :thumbsup:

drag wars 2009: White galant vs '09 FSAE car haha

Eleanor
02-11-2009, 12:40 PM
drag wars 2009: White galant vs '09 FSAE car haha Which will blow up first? :rofl:

97TSiAWD
02-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Sorry for the off topic, how many GVR-4s in Calgary now? Hey Mike, project looks great.

DonJuan
02-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Can you make sure it's polished before you bust it out? I hate looking at dirty cars in my rearview mirror.

j/k :D

LOL

Man with all these insane projects being completed this year, it is gonna be one hell of a summer!

962 kid
02-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Which will blow up first? :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Which car has more JB Weld?

Originally posted by 97TSiAWD
Sorry for the off topic, how many GVR-4s in Calgary now? Hey Mike, project looks great.

Thanks Indy. Other than ours, I've only ever seen 1 other, it was a black RHD GVR4.

Originally posted by DonJuan
Can you make sure it's polished before you bust it out? I hate looking at dirty cars in my rearview mirror.

j/k :D

LOL

Man with all these insane projects being completed this year, it is gonna be one hell of a summer!

:werd: way too many fast cars around town these days. I decided a long time ago to not even bother trying to match some of the 4 bangers going around town lol and just try to build a car that would be practical and fun. I'd be more worried about you keeping your car clean though, it'll be difficult for you to admire my rear bumper through a dirty windshield ;)

Redlyne_mr2
02-19-2009, 12:57 AM
More pics:D

Ron@Revolution
02-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Nice sleeper!:thumbsup:

962 kid
02-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I'll try and grab some with the new exhaust mani and intake pipes tomorrow... maybe a video of the launch control too haha.

Originally posted by Ron@Revolution
Nice sleeper!:thumbsup:

Thanks Ron! Means a lot considering your car is inspirational to so many enthusiasts out there, myself included. I remember back in the day watching your car asplode halfway down race city and coast to a 12 second run while trapping below 100MPH. Definitely one of the coolest things I've ever seen lol

Ron@Revolution
02-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah blowing rad hoses aren't fun:banghead: And a low 12 at I think around 68Mph was the result.:eek: Thats the way any of these projects go the good the bad and the DSM.

EK 2.0
02-22-2009, 10:53 AM

hear, hear...

962 kid
02-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Ask and ye shall receive...

Basically finished this bit
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7130/photo009.jpg

Problem with the IC piping :banghead:
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9384/photo010.jpg

The only ballin parts on the entire car:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2977/photo011p.jpg

Redlyne_mr2
02-23-2009, 12:31 AM
^^^ woah whats going on with the IC piping in the second pic... it looks like some sort of robotic arm with all the randomness going on. Throw a Canadian flag on it and call it the Canadarm.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44133000/jpg/_44133913_canadarm4_nasa_416.jpg

;)

anschutz_92
02-23-2009, 12:52 AM
^^^ woah whats going on with the IC piping in the second pic... it looks like some sort of robotic arm with all the randomness going on. Throw a Canadian flag on it and call it the Canadarm.

GM maf...

Have you tried running the 1G bov vented before? I hear most leak pretty good at idle.

Nice build, believe it or not had this car not being in Loydminister (I think...) when Cody owned it there is a good chance it would have been my first car. But I guess the engine blew a couple months after it sold so it's probably a good thing I didn't buy it lol!

962 kid
02-23-2009, 08:16 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44133000/jpg/_44133913_canadarm4_nasa_416.jpg

;)

:rofl: You should see what the stock MAF looks like...

Originally posted by anschutz_92

GM maf...

Have you tried running the 1G bov vented before? I hear most leak pretty good at idle.

Nice build, believe it or not had this car not being in Loydminister (I think...) when Cody owned it there is a good chance it would have been my first car. But I guess the engine blew a couple months after it sold so it's probably a good thing I didn't buy it lol!

I had my BOV vented on my speed density setup before, I've never run a GMMAF before though. I'm not worried about it leaking at idle though, it doesn't matter haha. Yeah I picked the car up with a blown motor, someone had really done a number on it. This car gets passed around like a cheap heure though, I think I'm the 4th owner since it came up from the states.

chrispl
02-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Looking pretty sick man,i thought about picking one up a while back but the guy never got back to me.

ColoDano
02-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Looks fun, and although sleeper is god, I forsee a big choke with a 2.5 inch exhaust, using a 3 inch or larger with a good resonator and muffler would be better in my opinion, and still quiet.

962 kid
02-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Excuse the shitty video and shitty idle haha. Just a couple revs to give an idea of where it sits. And yes, it did bounce the rev limiter once, it's only set at 5000RPM iirc
fdvzxDM6KsE

Originally posted by chrispl
Looking pretty sick man,i thought about picking one up a while back but the guy never got back to me.

Thanks, he probably didn't respond to you because I had committed to buying it a couple days after he had posted it up for sale haha.

Originally posted by ColoDano
Looks fun, and although sleeper is god, I forsee a big choke with a 2.5 inch exhaust, using a 3 inch or larger with a good resonator and muffler would be better in my opinion, and still quiet.

I thought about going with a 3" exhaust, but the car came with the 2.5" that's on it now. To be honest, I'm not really worried about squeezing every last hp out of the engine, and at the relatively low power levels I'm aiming for, 2.5" won't be that big of a restriction.

three.eighteen.
02-24-2009, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by 97TSiAWD

if this galant is not the same one i see all the time...there is another white one that has a cardboard rear window...

97TSiAWD
03-01-2009, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
if this galant is not the same one i see all the time...there is another white one that has a cardboard rear window...

Haha, yes that is my gvr-4 with the cardboard rear driver side window. It was finally replaced with a glass window a couple of weeks ago.

962 kid
03-07-2009, 10:15 PM
A little motivation to get the car finished up :) This will be going on the car along with some meth injection a little later on in the year. Full spool by 3500RPM + 60 lbs/min FTW

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4126/photo013i.jpg

Cody D
03-08-2009, 02:06 AM
It's good to see this car getting some love, it has gone through a lot of owners who are DSM guys but it never had much luck, hopefully you do better.

95EagleAWD
03-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Cody D
It's good to see this car getting some love, it has gone through a lot of owners who are DSM guys but it never had much luck, hopefully you do better.

x2.

962 kid
06-08-2009, 10:36 PM
^^ Thanks guys, sorry there haven't been updates lately. The tranny is apart right now, just waiting for new input/output shaft seals to come in. Long story short, I pulled it apart, changed a couple parts and vowed never to rely on local "gurus" ever again. This is how the car sits now:

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/7134/gvr4.jpg

Since last time, I've done a lot of small things like wire in the stereo, paint the FMIC black, get the TB overbored and rebuilt, pressure tested the whole system to 40psi, redid the UICP, and a couple other small things. Most importantly though, I'm ready for when I get bored of the 16g :)

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5138/photo026g.jpg

Cody D
06-09-2009, 10:39 AM
pressure tested the whole system to 40psi

At 40psi I'm sure you found a lot of leaks.

962 kid
06-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Cody D

At 40psi I'm sure you found a lot of leaks.

Actually, it wasn't that bad. The tester would blow off over 15psi, so I had to bead all the pipes. After that the TB was leaking pretty good, which is why it got sent off for rebuilding and boring out to 63mm. Once I got it back, I popped it on with some silicone and pumped it straight to 40psi with no problems. I would have gone higher, but the silicone coupler that was on the tester was stretched to about 150% of it's original size haha

Redlyne_mr2
06-09-2009, 07:59 PM
New manifold looks awesome, love that turbo as well. Cant wait to see it running.

inline6turbo
07-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Car looks awesome

j0nblayz
07-07-2009, 10:47 PM
saw your car today at alpine autowerks, infact looks like all the pics you took are from alpine autowerks. You work there??

blackpeople
07-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Car looks awesome man
looks like we are goin to have a good old dsm show down soon man.:poosie:

962 kid
09-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Small update, I have pretty much everything finished up. I've been driving the car around for a while, have about 200km on it and I'm really happy with the preliminary results. I'm seeing positive pressure before 2000RPM, full boost (1bar) by 3300RPM and a DSMlink estimated 398hp. Keeping in mind that 15psi is only WG pressure, I'm very excited to see what the next couple weeks and another 10psi have in store!

New manifold looks awesome, love that turbo as well. Cant wait to see it running.

Originally posted by inline6turbo
Car looks awesome

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by j0nblayz
saw your car today at alpine autowerks, infact looks like all the pics you took are from alpine autowerks. You work there??

haha, I know the owner pretty well. Hopefully one day I'll get some pics of the car not behind a shop :D

Originally posted by blackpeople
Car looks awesome man
looks like we are goin to have a good old dsm show down soon man.:poosie:

DSM showdown eh... you mean where 3 people show up, complain about how their cars aren't running properly and then drive around slowly so as not to break anything? I kid I kid, but yeah I need to take a good look at that weirdass black 1g you have now.

Ron@Revolution
09-02-2009, 10:37 PM
What version of Dsmlink are you running:?

962 kid
09-02-2009, 10:50 PM
V2 with V3 software. I really prefer an old fashioned speed-density standalone to the DSMlink so far, but I guess I'm getting used to it and the knowledge base is massive. Plus, it came with the car haha. I'll grab some pics of it tomorrow I think, the car really is frankensteined now. I was booting around with a buddy and his evo1, and I forgot how different the engine bay looks when I had it next to his.

IntegraG2
09-02-2009, 11:23 PM
sweet project man. Cant wait to see this thing tear up the track.

Redlyne_jr
09-03-2009, 01:18 PM
looks good mike!!! im still waiting on a ride in this thing.. well a ride in it when its running and im not pushing it around... :eek:

tomt64
09-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Cool, cant wait to check this beast out!