PDA

View Full Version : Best vacuum cleaner?

joyridder
02-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Pretty lame topic, but I have a large house with almost all carpet and a dog that sheds a lot. I need a really good vacuum cleaner, my $200 Kenmore isn't cutting it.

RickDaTuner
02-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Dylan! Dylan, Dylan!

oh I meant Dyson:nut:

SJW
02-06-2009, 01:36 AM
get a dyson

They really suck.

joyridder
02-06-2009, 01:47 AM
Is the Dyson really worth the $700?

DeeK
02-06-2009, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by SJW
get a dyson

They really suck.

Not only that, they have balls.

Boat
02-06-2009, 02:45 AM
I think crappy tire has a "Shark" brand one that is tailored for pets. Its around 200. They are pretty shitty vacuum cleaners but you cant beat C-Tire warranty!

Shark Infinity Upright Vacuum Cleaner with Pet Care System

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0436530P/reviews.htm

Seen em at C tire in northland.

The_Rural_Juror
02-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Miele > Dyson any day.

viff3r
02-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Another +1 to Dyson. Yes they are worth the money.

Euro838
02-06-2009, 10:03 AM
If you are to spend $700 on a dyson, just get a central vac system. More convenient if you have multiple floors and areas. I have one of the VaccuMaid systems and the motors in them are really strong and should last a long time.

The hand-held dyson is probably the best on the market.

nonlinear
02-06-2009, 10:48 AM
go to a vacuum shop, they carry way better brands and models than you'll find at a big box store (e.g. Miele like someone mentioned above). tell them you have a dog and see what they recommend.

Oreck vacuums work really well... they don't look pretty (use the same old school design from like the 70s or 80s, although it's kinda retro now), don't have a bunch of fancy attachments, or any of that crap used to sell cheap vacuums. but, they are super lightweight, suck like hell, the bruches spin at really high RPM, and they can handle tons of use and abuse... they are used professionally all over the place, at hotels, etc. i'm just not sure if you can buy them in canada or not. http://www.oreck.com/

sillysod
02-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Central Vac is the best, I had a miele in my old appartment and really, it didn't do much better than my mother in laws dyson (she got the cheapest one).

Honestly spending $700.00 on an upright vacuum cleaner that just vents back into the house is a total waste of $$$. put the $ towards a good central vac it will have way more suction and it vents outside. so whatever goes in the hose will go into the canister or outside.

jonnycat
I bought this one from costco for $260 ish. Total Dyson Rippoff, never loses suction either, it just doesn't ride on a ball. It's a heavy bitch, but works well.

Bissel Healty Home Vacuum (http://www.bissell.com/Products/c/uprightvacuum/p/healthyhomevacuum/product.aspx)

nonlinear
haha, dyson is like the ipod of vacuums.

LadyLuck
02-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Go buy a Tristar, those things are amazing, just dont buy it from their sales people

89coupe
02-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by joyridder
Pretty lame topic, but I have a large house with almost all carpet and a dog that sheds a lot. I need a really good vacuum cleaner, my $200 Kenmore isn't cutting it.

I have a Miele and love it. Canister style. Would never use anything else.

www.miele.ca

EK 2.0
02-06-2009, 11:04 AM
My parents rock a Dyson and its a sweet sweet ride...

dr_jared88
02-06-2009, 11:08 AM
If you're looking for a standup get a dyson. However I recommend an irobot roomba. They are awesome! I have mine vacuum my house every other day and all I have to do is empty the canister every so often.

BigWill
02-06-2009, 11:10 AM
go to apple cleaning and get a comercial grade vac! twice the power of a dyson for the same price!

Artega
02-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by BigWill
go to apple cleaning and get a comercial grade vac! twice the power of a dyson for the same price!

and probably 10 times the noise too:(

89coupe
02-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Artega

and probably 10 times the noise too:(

No shit. Thats why I love my Miele. You can barely tell its on its so quiet.

alloroc
02-06-2009, 11:46 AM
My experience Built in > dyson > miele. My parents have a Miele and after cleaning a room it isn't much better than the kenmore they replaced.

Any vacuume that you plug into a wall is going to be using the same amount of power about 1200w. All of the manufacturers use very similar motor sizes and fan arrangements. They have to, it it is just the way fans work. Just as anyone wanting to boost a car with x mount of displacement at x amount of pressure will need a turbo that is disigned for that specification.

What makes a vacuume work is not just how much suction it has but how much air it moves. Anything with a bag clogs and as the static pressure increases across the bag the cfm drops as a result. Built ins (and shop vacuumes) have a similar filter to canister bag vacuumes but because they use two power sources the main motor can be slightly larger and thus can move more air.

89coupe
02-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by alloroc
My experience Built in > dyson > miele. My parents have a Miele and after cleaning a room it isn't much better than the kenmore they replaced.

Any vacuume that you plug into a wall is going to be using the same amount of power about 1200w. All of the manufacturers use very similar motor sizes and fan arrangements. They have to, it it is just the way fans work. Just as onyone wanting to boost a car with x mount of displacement at x amount of pressure will need a turbo that is disigned for that specification.

What makes a vacuume work is not just how much suction is has but how much air it moves. Anything with a bag clogs and as the static pressure increases across the bag the cfm drops as a result. Built ins (and shop vacuumes) have a similar filter to canister bag vacuumes but because they use two power sources the main motor can be slightly larger and thus can move more air.

I've never own a Dyson, but I have had the top of the line central vac and a Miele and hands down my Miele is way better.

The central Vac was noisy, and clumsy. My Miele is sleek, super quiet, and works great!

I won't even attempt to compare regular store models as they don't even come close.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for.

ZorroAMG
02-06-2009, 12:02 PM
I dunno....for the average person even a dyson is overkill but I'd LOVE to see ACTUAL data comparing the Dyson to a Miele.....not just oh, i have this one so it's best, bullshit. Or this one costs more so it must be better.

Miele is just as guilty as BMW and MB at rocking a name brand for price hikes. With REAL data one could justify spending the whatever 600$ more for a Miele...or NOT spending it.

Data, folks....

89coupe
02-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I dunno....for the average person even a dyson is overkill but I'd LOVE to see ACTUAL data comparing the Dyson to a Miele.....not just oh, i have this one so it's best, bullshit. Or this one costs more so it must be better.

Miele is just as guilty as BMW and MB at rocking a name brand for price hikes. With REAL data one could justify spending the whatever 600$ more for a Miele...or NOT spending it.

Data, folks....

$600??? You can buy a Miele for $600? Since when....LOL.

ZorroAMG
02-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Read my post. "spending the whatever $600 MORE for a Miele"

Geez, it's all about the price flaunt, hey?

I am still right about it...

89coupe
02-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Read my post. "spending the whatever $600 MORE for a Miele"

Geez, it's all about the price flaunt, hey?

I am still right about it...

LOL:rofl:

ZorroAMG
02-06-2009, 12:33 PM
:D

PS I am clearly just playing with you...you wouldn't BE 89coupe without the price comments...

Xtrema
02-06-2009, 12:40 PM

PS I am clearly just playing with you...you wouldn't BE 89coupe without the price comments...

Central vac sucks but I hate the hauling the hose.

xLostx
02-06-2009, 12:56 PM
What about a Kirby? they're stupid expensive but they work pretty damned good. If they cost half of what they sell for they'd be well worth it for what they do and how long they last.

nonlinear
02-06-2009, 01:21 PM
my parents have a kirby, bought it in the 80s. kirby vacuums are very, very high quality, but they are REALLY heavy, so the cleaning lady doesn't use it anymore. i would try and get something lighter.

seriously man, if you're looking for a serious machine but don't wanna pay out the nose for industrial design (i.e. dyson and miele) check out the orecks... there is a reason they are used by cleaning staff in like every hotel chain

codetrap
02-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Consumer Reports.. good site for this sort of thing..

Damnit.. can't attach the PDF files of the reviews..

spikerS
02-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by joyridder
Is the Dyson really worth the $700?

I asked that too, but the wife was adament.

Best $700 i ever spent. My best friend who is extremely allergice to cats and dogs is now able to come over if we vacumme the house about 2 hours before he gets there. didnt matter how much we vacummed before, he could only stay for 5-10 mins, now he can stay all day.

Amysicle
02-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Glad to hear you're happy with the Dyson. I love my Dyson and I got it from Costco for I think $570+GST.

If you're a dog owner and you have carpets, the most important part is the beater bar to really lift up the dirt and hair.

I had a central vac at the house we used to live in and it was crap. The hose caught on corners and marked up the walls, the hose itself was extremely heavy and starting to crack and so the suction wasn't very good, etc. Maybe the newer models are better. :dunno:

alloroc
02-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle
Glad to hear you're happy with the Dyson. I love my Dyson and I got it from Costco for I think $570+GST.

If you're a dog owner and you have carpets, the most important part is the beater bar to really lift up the dirt and hair.

I had a central vac at the house we used to live in and it was crap. The hose caught on corners and marked up the walls, the hose itself was extremely heavy and starting to crack and so the suction wasn't very good, etc. Maybe the newer models are better. :dunno:

It usually depends on the power head. There are only one or two manufacturers that make good power heads.

frozenrice
02-06-2009, 10:09 PM
No mention of Electrolux yet.
I'm not sure how they rate today, but my parents had one back in the day (not sure if they still have it or not). Back then they paid $700 (this is back in the early 90s) for it and I've seen them going for $1200 or more today. They're definately built well and did a great job at the time.

bawlls
02-06-2009, 10:13 PM
bite the bullet, get a dyson.
it will prbably make you enjoy vacuuming.
every other vacuume i have ever used was a piece of shit.

abyss
02-07-2009, 11:35 AM
My parents have an oldschool Electrolux, if you want an awesome vacuum to stand up the the abuse of 3 lazy clumsy kids using it get one of these! We sucked up so much shit we weren't supposed to and the thing just kept going and going. It STILL works great and it's 25 years old!!! Heavy though!

We use the canister Dyson at our house. Minh flipped out when I told him I spent that much on a vacuum (he IS Asian afterall haha), but now he understands. It pulls up SO much cat hair out of our carpets its unbelievable. Vacuuming takes less than half the time it would've before because you only have to make one pass with the bar not two or three like the old vacuum. I'd love to see stats on them all too, but we're definitely happy with the Dyson!

sillysod
02-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

Any vacuume that you plug into a wall is going to be using the same amount of power about 1200w. All of the manufacturers use very similar motor sizes and fan arrangements. They have to, it it is just the way fans work. Just as anyone wanting to boost a car with x mount of displacement at x amount of pressure will need a turbo that is disigned for that specification.

You have to keep in mind that the 2 most important things on an upright vacuum cleaner is weight and filtering. A typical upright vacuum cleaner is around 20 - 30 lbs the canister we have in our house for example is 85lbs.

Vacuum cleaners are measured using a standard Air Watt unit to measure suction.

I put the smallest Vacuflo as well as the one we have in our house for comparison.

Miele S 5980.............111 Air Watts.....120VAC 15A
Electrolux Z4708......169 Air Watts.....120VAC 15A
Hoover DM6173.........205 Air Watts.....120VAC 15A
Dyson DC07...............270 Air Watts.....120VAC 15A
Vacuflo 260................371 Air Watts.....120VAC 15A
Vacuflo 760................824 Air Watts.....120VAC 30A

A kirby doesn't have a HEPA filter and a lot of fine dust just goes through the bag.

The Bagless ones generally work well as the filters don't plug up and they maintain sugction.

nonlinear
02-07-2009, 01:39 PM
seriously dude, if you want a real vacuum that will meet your specific needs, you need to stop looking for advice from beyond millionaires and go to your local independent vacuum shop and talk with an expert.

Weapon_R
02-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
seriously dude, if you want a real vacuum that will meet your specific needs, you need to stop looking for advice from beyond millionaires and go to your local independent vacuum shop and talk with an expert.

A lot of those guys are on commission and they will try and sell you something you don't need. I'd spend an hour researching it before going in so you know exactly what you want. There are plenty of good vacuums that don't cost as much as a Miele and do a better job.

WhippWhapp
02-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Almost bought a Dyson, but after researching a bit bought the Bissell Healthy Home from Costco- I am very pleased with it.

Apparently this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HRY304/ref=s9_sdps_c1_s1_p79_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0HH4QTB0NZ97YD0X1B5A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383351&pf_rd_i=507846) model compares very favourably with Dysons, the only thing needed is an electrostatic filter for the motor. Sears sells it for $150- at that price point, it might be worth a shot.

There is a long thread on redflagdeals about Dysons and alternatives.

89coupe
02-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

You have to keep in mind that the 2 most important things on an upright vacuum cleaner is weight and filtering. A typical upright vacuum cleaner is around 20 - 30 lbs the canister we have in our house for example is 85lbs.

Who on earth would want an upright, big, heavy and tough to navigate under anything remotely low.

ZorroAMG
02-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Huh? I get everywhere with my dyson upright.....EVERYWHERE. under furniture, on furniture, baseboards, everything.

Lex350
02-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Any vac model will do as long as a women is pushing it!

sillysod
02-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Who on earth would want an upright, big, heavy and tough to navigate under anything remotely low.

okay, but still even if you have the regular one with a hose and power head (ie the Miele S 5980) it still can't be 70+ lbs. A normal person has to be able to carry it around the house comfortably.

some people live in appartments or older houses and vacuflo is not an option.

Moe Man
02-07-2009, 09:43 PM
I know im going to make a few ppl mad cause a few of you have a DYSON!

Go and get a Filterqueen or rainbow, hands down best vacums out...

BUT!!!

Dont buy it from sales man, ive seen their course been through it and they sell them for $2700 CRAZY CRAZY!!!!!

ANOTHER BUT!!!

go to ebay for about $300 you can get one and i guarentee you take one of these vacums and go over a spot a dyson went over and your going through your dyson away...

one more thing research about dyson the owner/inventor use to have another vacum cleaner/company and went bankrupcy cause his stuff was crap...

REALLY look into the filterqueen majestic, does allot of things a normal vacumm doesnt, aroma, blower(take your vacumm outside and blow the leafs), dirt meter(really cool) double swivelhose so it will never get tangled...

gatorade
02-07-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm suprised none of you guys got an irobot vacumn, we have one of those in our house and it works alright.

TDA
02-09-2009, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by WhippWhapp
Almost bought a Dyson, but after researching a bit bought the Bissell Healthy Home from Costco- I am very pleased with it.

Apparently this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HRY304/ref=s9_sdps_c1_s1_p79_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0HH4QTB0NZ97YD0X1B5A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383351&pf_rd_i=507846) model compares very favourably with Dysons, the only thing needed is an electrostatic filter for the motor. Sears sells it for $150- at that price point, it might be worth a shot.

There is a long thread on redflagdeals about Dysons and alternatives.

+1 Very happy with my total floors velocity, the electrostatic filters dont even get anywhere near dirty for my vaccum and last forever months and month.. The electrostatic vent filters for floor registers at home depot are a perfect fit!

TDA
02-09-2009, 01:30 AM
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/652989

Here it is, read post 1 and 2..