PDA

View Full Version : Examining a Car as a Prospective Buyer

Generic
02-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Examing a Car

I thought I'd type out what may help prospective buyers when looking for a vehicle.
Take it from me, I've been burnt under 5k on a couple cars, which isn't much, but its a solid learning lesson. Ever since learning to appraise vehicles for Toyota, I've developed a systematic way to inspect vehicles. First of all, I do proven research beforehand. I talk to the seller before I look at it, and let him answer my first basic question..
"Do you have maintainence receipts for this car?" and "where has this car been maintained all its life?" If he stutters, falters, doesn't know what to say, I'm not interested. I want a car that's been well maintained and has receipts to back this up. In the under 5k mark, its much harder to find, and often I'll just look at the car if the guy has knowledge of the car and what has been changed lately, even if he doesn't have "receipts." Receipts are your best friend, always try to find a car with receipts.

When I go to see the car, I notice the type of person he is. Older, 40's to 60's he probably hasn't bagged on the car (yes its a stereotype, but its damn true). If he's younger, 18 to 25, he's bagged the crap out of the car, very likely (I saw too many Tiburons and GSR's and Civics just in rough rough shape due to bagging). Just keep this in mind.
First and foremost, I examine the body of the car thoroughly.

- Rust is very important to me. For under $5k vehicles in eastern Canada (especially) you're probably going to find some. And a lot of cars in Alberta are from Ontario. But rust is a good indicator of whether it was winter driven, how it was maintained, and what the car's condition will be in the future (i.e. a rust bucket). I always buy rust-free vehicles personally, I HATE rust.
- Dents/scratches. I expect a few if its city driven, but if I see a fair bit on a 'high mileage highway driven only' car, its an alert to me, that it was city driven lots. Like I said, the body is crucial to me, I can always fix an engine, or fix mechanical parts, but if your body doesn't look good, than your car will never have the same type of resale. I.e., (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Nissan-1995-240sx-W0QQAdIdZ104311903).

I get in the car and look at the interior next:
- Is it worn, abused, is it clean? When I was appraising vehicles I noticed that about 90% of the cars that had well worn interiors and unclean dashboards and wrecked carpets and were generally filthy were VERY unmaintained mechanically. The owners treat the interior like they treated the maintainence of the car, terribly. I saw a 2002 Corolla with a trashed interior once, and the car was on its last legs. It only had 150xxxkm on it. He hadn't done an oil change in 20 to 25 thousand km.. he didn't see the 'point in it.' So, I often stay away from cars that are disgusting inside. And surprisingly enough, you still see lots of cars that are dirty inside, proclaimed as "MINT"
- I try every mechanical and electronic function from wipers to horn to climate control to A/C to heat at full and low blast, from headlights to high beams to seat warmers to radio to rear wiper to alarm to keyless remote to hazards... everything. Expect something not too work..its usually normal. Lots of non-working things could be as simple as fuses or actual motors..
- I pop the trunk, take a look at the engine bay. Is it clean or is it dirty? A clean engine bay means the owner probably took it to the carwash before he showed it to you, so don't think its just 'clean' that its been well maintained. I always check:
0- Oil and levels and oil color
0- powersteering fluid
0- all fluids, from rad to even windshield fluid.
0- see if belts aren't frayed, if you're allowed check T-Belt if its a non interference engine (i was allowed when I bought my last Lude).

- Than turn on the car and listen to the engine, rev it up and down with throttle cable.. listen for ticking, hammering, anything unusual.
- I examine the lines of the body versus the fenders and the sides of the fender coming into the engine bay to see if its been in an accident, it takes a little bit of practice to see a vehicle with accident history if its been repaired properly. I check the pillars and how they match up, than walk around to the back and look at the rear bumper to see if its sitting high or low. Than I go home and CARPROOF the vehicle (don't carfax it unless its an American car [Carfax misses a lot of stuff]). Even Autocheck it if it’s a US car to be safe.

Than get in and testdrive. I personally testdrive cars I'm interested a lot different than most people, so I won't write it all here, but I can tell by the way a car drives, what sounds are what parts that have to be replaced. THUNK THUNK = struts, loud road noise and humming from the front often = wheel bearings, etc.
Than get the seller to have it looked at by a mechanic who will doublecheck everything you just did and can give you a fair opinion of its condition.

Conclusion: You will never find a car that's perfect. But seriously, something will be off, or something won't be 100% right. That's normal. If a brake squeals or rubs, but the rest of the car runs fine and drives like a million bucks and you've ruled out its not a hub or an axle but a squeaky pad, buy it. Used cars are used because they're not perfect. For your money, expect something that will run good, will have a good body (to the best you can afford), and will hopefully not need thousands of maintainence in the near future (unless you're getting a crazy good deal). Make sure, make sure the car lines up with the Carproof when you go to buy, and the history is COMPLETELY counted for. You don't want any surprises when you go to buy it!
That's all!

Destinova403
02-06-2009, 11:17 AM
good read :thumbsup: lots of good tips

funkedelic2
02-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Awesome write up. Most people know the majority of the things listed but i there are few on there that i don't do when buying a new car or looking at one which are very useful.

I few things i ask the seller before seeing the car. (Regardless of the answer that the seller gives you, you should do research on the vehicle on all of these points)

What is the VIN?
Is the car local?
Does the car have a warranty?
Does it have any liens?
What modifications (if any) were completed on the vehicle?

If the seller sounds shady about any of these, its best to move on.

In addition to that here are a few other good points to add when examining a car:

-It is normal for a vehicle to accumulate 16.000 to 20,000 km a year. If there is significantly more mileage, ask the owner why.

-Bring along a flashlight for checking under the car, a rag to check fluid levels and a magnet to check for body filler.

-Check the tread depth with a depth tool or penny. It should be 1/16'. Look for any bumps. They may indicate an alignment problem.

-If there is paint on the cars under body, or if paint is rough around the doors, hood and trunk, it could be a sign of body work. Wrap your magnet in a cloth and run it over the body to look for signs of non-magnetic filler.

-Push down on the corner of the car several times until it bounces. Step back. The car should settle in 2 cycles without too much noise, although there will be some squeaking. Repeat on all 4 corners.

-Check if there is any mildew on the carpet or upholstery. It probably means there's a leak some where.

-Look for corrosion on the battery. Clean oil is a honey brown colour, make sure the levels of all fluids are normal.

-Have a mechanic you trust inspect the vehicle. If the seller is reluctant to let you do this, be wary.

-Rev the car and look for signs of black or white smoke.

-Test the brakes, come to a full, hard stop, from about 50km and pay attention to any noises or pulling to the left or right.

- Never buy a vehicle without seeing it in the day. (Chances are you missed something) In fact, you should choose a nice sunny day to go and see it. Park it in a spot where the sun is facing it directly. View the vehicle from all different angles. You will be able to see door dents, paint defects and swirl marks easier. This will also help tell if all of the panels on the vehicle are the same color, or if some are brighter then others. (an indication that it has been involved in an accident and has had replacement body parts)

The OP has good points when dealing with a private seller. However many dealerships that sell used vehicles will have their used cars "reconditioned" before placing them on their lot. This means that the cars are often taken to detailing shops (or detailed at the dealership)and are made to look more presentable.

Many times these cars come in completely filthy. I have seen many with tons of rock chips, paint in very bad condition and motors that are covered in oil and gunk. They go through a series of detailing and prepping before being sent back to the dealer. (full interior/exterior/engine cleaning, wax, paint touch ups, odour remover, and sometimes frame under coating)

When you make you way down to the dealership, you see a car that looks like it is in pretty good shape for being 5-10 years old (and you think nothing more of it), but just take into consideration that the car you are looking at may have looked like complete shit a few days ago and may have been treated and maintained just as badly.

Something to keep in mind next time you decide to go shopping for your next ride. ;)

Generic
02-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
Awesome write up. Most people know the majority of the things listed but i there are few on there that i don't do when buying a new car or looking at one which are very useful.

I few things i ask the seller before seeing the car. (Regardless of the answer that the seller gives you, you should do research on the vehicle on all of these points)

What is the VIN?
Is the car local?
Does the car have a warranty?
Does it have any liens?
What modifications (if any) were completed on the vehicle?

If the seller sounds shady about any of these, its best to move on.

In addition to that here are a few other good points to add when examining a car:

-It is normal for a vehicle to accumulate 16.000 to 20,000 km a year. If there is significantly more mileage, ask the owner why.

-Bring along a flashlight for checking under the car, a rag to check fluid levels and a magnet to check for body filler.

-Check the tread depth with a depth tool or penny. It should be 1/16'. Look for any bumps. They may indicate an alignment problem.

-If there is paint on the cars under body, or if paint is rough around the doors, hood and trunk, it could be a sign of body work. Wrap your magnet in a cloth and run it over the body to look for signs of non-magnetic filler.

-Push down on the corner of the car several times until it bounces. Step back. The car should settle in 2 cycles without too much noise, although there will be some squeaking. Repeat on all 4 corners.

-Check if there is any mildew on the carpet or upholstery. It probably means there's a leak some where.

-Look for corrosion on the battery. Clean oil is a honey brown colour, make sure the levels of all fluids are normal.

-Have a mechanic you trust inspect the vehicle. If the seller is reluctant to let you do this, be wary.

-Rev the car and look for signs of black or white smoke.

-Test the brakes, come to a full, hard stop, from about 50km and pay attention to any noises or pulling to the left or right.

- Never buy a vehicle without seeing it in the day. (Chances are you missed something) In fact, you should choose a nice sunny day to go and see it. Park it in a spot where the sun is facing it directly. View the vehicle from all different angles. You will be able to see door dents, paint defects and swirl marks easier. This will also help tell if all of the panels on the vehicle are the same color, or if some are brighter then others. (an indication that it has been involved in an accident and has had replacement body parts)

The OP has good points when dealing with a private seller. However many dealerships that sell used vehicles will have their used cars "reconditioned" before placing them on their lot. This means that the cars are often taken to detailing shops (or detailed at the dealership)and are made to look more presentable.

Many times these cars come in completely filthy. I have seen many with tons of rock chips, paint in very bad condition and motors that are covered in oil and gunk. They go through a series of detailing and prepping before being sent back to the dealer. (full interior/exterior/engine cleaning, wax, paint touch ups, odour remover, and sometimes frame under coating)

When you make you way down to the dealership, you see a car that looks like it is in pretty good shape for being 5-10 years old (and you think nothing more of it), but just take into consideration that the car you are looking at may have looked like complete shit a few days ago and may have been treated and maintained just as badly.

Something to keep in mind next time you decide to go shopping for your next ride. ;)

great advice as well, man.

Originally posted by Destinova403
good read :thumbsup: lots of good tips

thanks Dane.

Mods should sticky this!

badatusrnames
02-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Good read. +1 for sticky. Maybe combine the two posts?

94boosted
02-06-2009, 07:21 PM
There was lots of good info in those 2 posts +2 for sticky

nonlinear
02-06-2009, 08:33 PM
excellent information in these posts. i'm looking to buy a used car around 10k this spring, and since i've never bought my own car before i've been trying to do a lot of reading on what to look for...

i think it would be awesome if Beyond had a 'wiki'-type guide for buying a used car. maybe you guys (or some admin) could spearhead a thread where the goal is to produce such a "Beyond Used Car Buyer's Guide." alloroc also has a used car checklist at http://forums.beyond.ca/st/171858/t...ive-check-list/

maybe the three of you could collaborate on a single used car buyer's guide for beyond?

E36M3
02-06-2009, 08:40 PM
For a couple hundred bucks, AMA (Alberta Motor Association) or its equivalent in other provinces offer an excellent pre-purchase inspection service. I'm a car car, and I love cars, but I am not as mechanically oriented as I could be, and I really appreciated their service.. it saved me from a costly (5k) mistake on a car that had a bent frame but looked mint.

Just a tip.