PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Car with a Rebuilt title

sunsam
02-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Im currently interested in a car but im not sure if i want to invest 13,000$ in a car with a rebuilt title , it is a great deal he was aasking 16 ,000 but i told him 13 is what i wil give him , my main concern is how truthful the previous owner is about how extensive the damage was on the vehicle .. my question to anyone who might know this is , when a car passes provincial inspection for rebuilt title how extensive is it? should i be worried at all ? i know reselling it will be hard but i plan on keeping it ...

Destinova403
02-06-2009, 01:06 PM
my prelude was a rebuilt as you know sunny... your best off, if you really like the car, to take it to a mechanic or body-shop who you really trust and make them inspect the car to ensure that any repairs were done properly.

rebuilts CAN be ok, but they CAN be wrecks, so just do your research. Be aware as well that the re-sale on the car will be much lower with that title.

rumeo
02-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Well give us more details about the car so we can tell you if it's worth it or not.

Take it to a mechanic/body shop as well for an inspection. I've never done a carproof before so I don't know if it just tells you its got rebuilt status on it or if it goes into details about it. But do a carproof NOT carfax!

Just off the top of my head I'm going to say no don't get this car, you don't want to spend $13,000 on something with the chance of having a ton of problems, you can get something really good right now for $13,000.

Destinova403
02-06-2009, 01:10 PM
^^ Carproof tells you the value of the insurance claim... ex: $15000 claim (front end)

itll tell you something like that for all the claims. not a ton of detail but enough

sunny... DO NOT BUY A FLOOD DMG CAR. period.

C4S
02-06-2009, 01:23 PM
U get what u pay ..

If it has rebuilt title .. probably should worth ~ 20% less then a normal one .. (if it has been fixed right!)

If you will keep it for long, not selling it in near future .. then it is ok if the price is right...

Or .. u can sell it here in BEYOND .. people love rebuilt title here .. especially JDM :D

rc2002
02-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Be careful about how much you pay for it. $13000 better be a substantial discount from market value because it will be more difficult to sell later down the road.

Weapon_R
02-06-2009, 01:28 PM
What kind of car are you getting? If the savings aren't substantial, just wait for a good deal on a straight one.

sunsam
02-06-2009, 01:39 PM
thanks alot of the responses guys its really helping the car is a 2005 RSX Type S .. i wanted to downgrade to something more affordable from the 350z .. and i need money for a condo i plan on getting .. the car on the market goes for maybe 18 or 19 with 95 ,000 km that it has on it .. I talked to the guy he said i can take it anywhere for any kind of inspection .. so If you guys know of a good place please let me know .. or if you know of any good deals for cars out there because im looking to spend 13 or 14 max.. thanks

funkedelic2
02-06-2009, 01:40 PM
What is it? You get a few good responses whether it is worth it or not if you provide the details. Personally i stay away from rebuild/salvage title vehicles. I do know of a few people that have them and they have managed to get good deals.

It really should depend on how extensive the damage was in the first place and if it was correctly fixed and rebuilt. Take Destinova403's advice and take it to a good mechanic. This could potentially save you hundreds or even thousands down the road. If they find something wrong with it, you could either walk away or use it to negotiate a lower price.

The worse case scenario- It doesn't pass OOP inspection. At this point it is already too late if you have already bought it without your own proper inspection. The cost of repairs is now solely on you.

I use to work at a dealership and cars that were rebuilt and out of province were meticulously inspected.

sunsam
02-06-2009, 01:42 PM
It has already passed Province Inspection .. ** Note**

corsvette
02-06-2009, 01:45 PM
The inspections are quite strict on salvage cars,just be carefull WHO you are buying from,lots of seedy guys out there,a carproof is a must on the later model car's,some are written off for very little damage.

sunsam
02-06-2009, 01:51 PM
if i buy i will definitly get it inspected and carproofed, a good place for inspection is what id like to know .. i drove the car last night and drove the shitout of it .. and it was amazing .. conidtion was amazing .. just down the road im worried about realiability . and the CLUTCH PEDDLE was very soft!! i dont understand why! maybe im used to my 350z .. but it was dam soft compared to my 350z is it normal ? iv had 2 previous rsx.. but i cant remember anymore

funkedelic2
02-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by sunsam
if i buy i will definitly get it inspected and carproofed, a good place for inspection is what id like to know .. i drove the car last night and drove the shitout of it .. and it was amazing .. conidtion was amazing .. just down the road im worried about realiability . and the CLUTCH PEDDLE was very soft!! i dont understand why! maybe im used to my 350z .. but it was dam soft compared to my 350z is it normal ? iv had 2 previous rsx.. but i cant remember anymore

Yeah its normal. I had the same thing happen to me, kind of. I was use to driving my M3. I sold that car but i was just use to the feel of the clutch in that car. I bought my girlfriend a Del Sol recently and we took it for a test drive and it felt really really soft. I actually couldn't even drive it well until i got use to the clutch after we bought it. It was a new clutch too.Every car is different.

sunsam
02-06-2009, 02:17 PM
yeah i guess hey , crazy how the body gets used to it.... and for clutch inspection where do you guys recommend>?

realazy
02-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Honda clutches are very soft compared to the 350z. I drove my friend's and I was surprised by how stiff it was for a stock clutch. (compared to other stock cars I've driven, Civic's, 240's, Integras, etc.)

rc2002
02-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by sunsam
yeah i guess hey , crazy how the body gets used to it.... and for clutch inspection where do you guys recommend>?

Clutch inspection could get pricey. To figure out how much meat is left on the disc, they'll have to drop the transmission. At that point, you might as well change the clutch out.

If it's not slipping then I wouldn't worry about it.

sunsam
02-06-2009, 08:11 PM
how can you double check for slipping while driving .. i know u can pop it in a higher gear and see if it moves .. but is there another way as well?

nonlinear
02-06-2009, 08:26 PM
i've never had a carproof before, but from what i've read, i think that sometimes the repair shops report general information about what kind of damage was done... check the examples on the carproof site and you'll see what i mean.

kwazy
02-06-2009, 11:51 PM
DON'T DO IT!

No matter what, rebuilds will never be the same, either buy a car that is cheaper or save up until you have the money to get a good condition one.

sunsam
02-07-2009, 02:22 AM
reallly ? =( /// that makes me sad

Redlyne_mr2
02-07-2009, 02:23 AM
Doesn't really sound like much of a deal, I suspect that guy is going to have a tough time selling the car, he'll be lucky to get more than 10 for it.

Team_Mclaren
02-07-2009, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by kwazy
DON'T DO IT!

No matter what, rebuilds will never be the same, either buy a car that is cheaper or save up until you have the money to get a good condition one.

Exactly. A rebuilt vehicle can never be repaired 100% back to its original form, doesnt matter how good the repair is

Generic
02-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by kwazy
DON'T DO IT!

agreed.
and even worse, thats a brutal deal by that seller
13k for an RSX-S?? garbage deal.

sunsam
02-09-2009, 03:08 AM
THANKS EVERYONE! made my Decision that much easier! =) no go with the car..