PDA

View Full Version : Buying an imported car

ClearBluewater
02-06-2009, 05:54 PM
So i'm thinking of buying an rx-7 for the summer. Does insurance stay the same price as on my mazda 3 or is it going to sky rocket for driving an imported car with a steering wheel on the other side?

95EagleAWD
02-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Call your insurance company and find out.

yanivbar
02-06-2009, 05:59 PM
DUDE your insurance is going to be CRAZY! RHD insurance is nuts, you may as well own a ferrari. But that's price you pay for being JDM tight :D

:facepalm:

Why don't you just call and get a quote?

ClearBluewater
02-06-2009, 06:01 PM
I think they are closed till monday :(

semograd
02-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by yanivbar
DUDE your insurance is going to be CRAZY! RHD insurance is nuts, you may as well own a ferrari. But that's price you pay for being JDM tight :D

Why don't you just call and get a quote?

depends if you get just liability or full.

Liability is super cheap, some insurance companies might ask for you an appraisal which is $100, to get full.

I actually saved a lot of money being jdm tight and pretty sure I will stick to jdm

Where are you pulling this info from? Have you ever insured a jdm car?

D911
02-07-2009, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by yanivbar
[B]DUDE your insurance is going to be CRAZY! RHD insurance is nuts, you may as well own a ferrari. But that's price you pay for being JDM tight :D

/B]

Dude,

RHD insurance isnt even worth it, cause one, insurance companies in canada will probably not cover it on their own, you have to get a joint insurance between a canadian company and, you have to have a 3rd party full coverage insurance from japan too.

So thats really costly, not only do you have to source it in japan, you also have to pay the premiums in Yen.

Oh and you also have to get special JDM registration at the registry offices, which costs like i think upwards of $500 depending on how far right the steeringwheel is in relation to the car.

Team_Mclaren
02-07-2009, 03:22 AM
you guys are fucking retarded, instead of trying to be "funny" why not answer the question.

to OP:

Its hard to say if it'll be more expensive or not, all depending on your insurance company. If you just get third party and no collision, then there wouldnt be a huge different afaik. Since you are not looking to buy till summer, you can wait till monday and call your insurance to find out.

DonJuan
02-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
you guys are fucking retarded, instead of trying to be "funny" why not answer the question.

to OP:

Its hard to say if it'll be more expensive or not, all depending on your insurance company. If you just get third party and no collision, then there wouldnt be a huge different afaik. Since you are not looking to buy till summer, you can wait till monday and call your insurance to find out.

Agreed. noobs trying to be funny :facepalm:

Most insurance wont give you full coverage on a RHD even with an appraisal. The best you can hope for is the Basic PLPD coverage. But shop around, most insurance agents cant give you a quote directly because of the RHD, but the underwriter will call you back proptly. Prices range with companies, but they usually ask you what the equivalent North American car is and the base it on that. For example, by U13 Bluebird SSS is in the same insurance as the "equivalent" Altima.

yanivbar
02-07-2009, 11:10 AM

to OP:

OMG mod pwned my ass... .:rolleyes:

ask an insurance broker.

semograd
02-07-2009, 11:19 AM
stop listening to queertards and phone some insurance companies I'm pretty sure I have one of the best rates possible for rhd cars. If you need some options let me know

Sorath
02-07-2009, 11:22 AM
since they have an rx7 over here, chances are it`ll fall under the same category

rizfarmer
02-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by D911

Dude,

RHD insurance isnt even worth it, cause one, insurance companies in canada will probably not cover it on their own, you have to get a joint insurance between a canadian company and, you have to have a 3rd party full coverage insurance from japan too.

So thats really costly, not only do you have to source it in japan, you also have to pay the premiums in Yen.

Oh and you also have to get special JDM registration at the registry offices, which costs like i think upwards of $500 depending on how far right the steeringwheel is in relation to the car.

this was the process for me with my 300ZX. The yen conversion killed me

rc2002
02-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
since they have an rx7 over here, chances are it`ll fall under the same category

I agree partly. As for availability of parts, I don't see how it can be that much more than the North American counterparts. But if the insurance companies keep statistics on the claim amounts, the RHD ones might make more claims due to the average age of owners and possibly increased collision rate making left turns.

semograd
02-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

I agree partly. As for availability of parts, I don't see how it can be that much more than the North American counterparts. But if the insurance companies keep statistics on the claim amounts, the RHD ones might make more claims due to the average age of owners and possibly increased collision rate making left turns.
Funny you mention this, cause I remember phoning ING and the account manager said that for a 92 FD most of the items will be easy to obtain except for the clutch pedal rofl

ClearBluewater
02-07-2009, 03:32 PM

to OP:

Thank you

D911
02-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Because this is a stupid fucking question to begin with.
How hard would it of been to just pick up the phone and ask his insurance company upon thinking of the question "oh i wonder how much more my insurance could or could not be if i were to buy an imported car.."

Team_Mclaren
02-07-2009, 03:50 PM

How hard would it of been to just pick up the phone and ask his insurance company upon thinking of the question "oh i wonder how much more my insurance could or could not be if i were to buy an imported car.."

because this is a forum? where people ask questions and share experience? if you dont like it you dont have to post?!

"phoning your insurance company is the best way to find out" is a perfectly fine response, see second post. :rolleyes:

DonJuan
02-07-2009, 04:16 PM

because people are lazy and dont want to take the time to search or call they would rather post a question on a forum where the members may have pertinent information; such as a person in the same situation that can give them a direct answer.

Also the quotes department of his insurance company could be closed. So stop being gay, its a choice.

sergejsk2
02-07-2009, 05:27 PM
mine was the same as my audi when i transferred it, only could get liability though

inline6turbo
02-07-2009, 06:03 PM
I skipped all the yelling and people trying to be funny. Hopefully this helps.
I have a JDM RX-7 (I actually have two for sale) and for FULL coverage including theft is $239/month. Just storage by itself for winter is $13/month. For PLPD with theft is $140. I use TD Meloche Monnex.

Good luck

skylinegtr20
02-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Insurance is not more expensive. They go by the type of car not if its rhd or lhd. Skylines usually get classified as a 240sx, or Sentra. And K cars get classified as a ultra compact like a Firefly. RX-7 will obviously be classified as an RX-7 since they are available here and insurance will likely be $125-$140 for PLPD & Fire/theft if your record is clean.

My Aristo is $135 a month with PLPD & fire/theft. And the GTR is around $110 with the same coverage.

DonJuan
02-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Yikes that is some crazy rates. I have a couple tickets (2), and I get $130 for the 240 and the Bluebird. PLPD on both. TD Meloche Monnex, but I know a guy on the inside.

I was told by Meloche Monnex that RHD cars couldn't have full coverage without an appraisal. Just what I was told.

megafandrew
02-11-2009, 06:02 PM
well coming from someone that has owned a rhd. I had a 1992 180sx insured by AMA and it was not that expensive at all. I was fully covered except for theft, which i got from another independent insurance agent which was like an extra $10 a month, so your gonna have to call your agency and I wouldn't even bother listening to people that have never owned an imported car although there is alot of good advice on here about it