PDA

View Full Version : Review: Mi Tierra

pinoyhero
02-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Already reviewed, but thought I'd do it in the Review section. Mexican in Oakridge strip mall. Small family owned and run authentic Mexican.

Food 8/10 - Very flavourful, not shy on the heat, great selection.

Ambiance 5/10 - Pretty plain joint in a run down strip mall.

Service 8/10 - One guy serving the whole place was pretty quick, overall timing of service, food deliv and billing was good. Likeable guy for sure.

Value 10/10 - I had enchiladas (which were a bit small) and a big toastada, wife had a taco and a toastado. Water and a pop for drinks came in at $28 ... free.

Will be returning soon and recommending.

a social dsease
07-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Went there last week. I pretty much agree with the OP. Food was really good, nice and spicy and flavourful. The portion size looked kind of small at first but really filled me up so no complaints. Price is very reasonable.
Only downside is they don't have their liquor license yet; wanted a corona, had to setlle for a water instead.

Cooked Rice
09-28-2009, 01:22 AM
Went there today for a hung over cure. Ordered the Chicken Enchiladas with the green tomato sauce. Nice and spicy, fulfilling and cured my hang over in an instant lol. Wish there was more rice and beans on the side though, i could eat those as a main dish.

nonlinear
09-28-2009, 10:49 AM
i read on Chowhound that they are opening a second location on Heritage and Fairmount, where China City used to be.

WALKING DISTANCE FROM MY FUCKING CONDO!!!!!!!!!!! BOOYA THANK YA HECTOR!!!!!!!

dannie
09-28-2009, 01:46 PM
^ Yeah, he mentioned that a couple months ago. They have been trying to secure the funds for it. The one they are opening will be full service too, including a liquor licence. Should be good! :)

rookie101
10-31-2009, 10:04 PM
Expected grand opening is supposed to be November 22. Hector was saying that they will be doing most of the real cooking at the new location and shipping the prepared food (the beef and chicken for tacos and such) to the Oakridge location, where they will continue to make the beans, rice and other sides and toppings on site.

nonlinear
11-01-2009, 03:07 PM
drove by yesterday and they have a big trash bin parked out the front door, next to a white chevy haha. looks like they're gutting the place. a few weeks isn't a lot of time, so i wish them luck!

lelalong
12-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Any updates on the new location?

nonlinear
12-01-2009, 12:29 AM
drove by today. they've put up paper in the windows so you can't see what's going on, but the China City sign is still up.

i'm on the email list, and i'm sure others are here too, so I'm sure it will be posted in this thread as soon as they send out the email :thumbsup:

A|pine
12-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Do you guys know the hours of operation?

nonlinear
12-05-2009, 06:55 PM
still not open yet, but I noticed today that they've taken all the lights off of that awful China City sign :thumbsup:

hurry up hector!!!!!!!!!

nonlinear
12-16-2009, 07:05 PM
drove by this afternoon and saw that they have their sing up. it's actually quite comical - it's the old China City sign (shaped like a chinese roof thing) that still says China City, but below that they put in a sign that says "Mi Tierra." \

Someone on chowhound mentioned that this new location will be called "Tu Tierra." I actually didn't notice if is said Tu or Mi, as i was driving, but it's kinda funny that they kept the China City sign. I wonder if they intend to keep that for the long haul. At any rate, hurry up Hector! it's hard to justify driving all the way to the original location when I know i'll just be able to walk to your new location in a few weeks :P

treefiddy
12-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Didn't read the entire thread, but do they plan on keeping the Oakrdge location open even with the new restaurant?

rookie101
12-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Yes they plan on keeping the Oakridge location.

Picked up lunch on Wednesday and Victoria mentioned that when the inspector showed up to do the final inspection at the new place they developed a major roof leak that set things back. They're hoping to be open in another two weeks.

nonlinear
01-17-2010, 11:36 AM
still not open yet. drove by a few days ago though, and saw dudes on the roof, so I guess they're getting closer :thumbsup:

Nissanaddict
01-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
drove by this afternoon and saw that they have their sing up. it's actually quite comical - it's the old China City sign (shaped like a chinese roof thing) that still says China City, but below that they put in a sign that says "Mi Tierra." \

Someone on chowhound mentioned that this new location will be called "Tu Tierra." I actually didn't notice if is said Tu or Mi, as i was driving, but it's kinda funny that they kept the China City sign. I wonder if they intend to keep that for the long haul. At any rate, hurry up Hector! it's hard to justify driving all the way to the original location when I know i'll just be able to walk to your new location in a few weeks :P

The sign does say Tu Tierra. I'll probably drop by the old location next week, so I'll try to find out when the new one will be open.

rookie101
01-21-2010, 09:40 PM
OK, I picked up lunch from Mi Tierra on Tuesday and asked Hector what the deal was. He said he's been having trouble with the inspector dragging his feet and taking more than a week at times to show up for an inspection, buuuuuut it should be ready to go some time this weekend hopefully.

He said it should be either Saturday, Sunday, or Monday (his words) and that he's not going to shave again till it's open.......lol he's looking pretty scruffy.

nonlinear
01-27-2010, 01:00 PM
drove by last night and the paper had been taken off the windows. some people on chowhound said they talked with hector, and he is opening next monday or next wednesday.
:thumbsup:

nonlinear
01-28-2010, 09:08 PM
we just got back from dinner at the new location, Tu Tierra, at 8316 Fairmount Drive Southeast. They just opened this afternoon (!!!) and we were thoroughly satisfied, as always! The restaurant was quite busy, especially considering they don't yet have a light on their sign outside and haven't announced their opening to the public. (in fact, i think the notes on chowhond are the only 'public' announcement of today's opening). I'm really happy they were doing so well even on their first night. I love this place and really, really want this to work for these folks. :)

This new space is a vast improvement over the original location (which is still in operation), both in terms of location and size; Mi Tierra is growing into its skin very well). The space is much larger than the original location - about 4 or 5 times the size (?) - and has probably about 20 tables or so. The old China City space underwent quite a renovation. The wall that previously separated the dining room and the lounge has been removed, resulting in two separate but unified rooms. The room in the back has a small bar with cash register, and is quite a bit larger than the first room. This provides a bit more elbow room than in the first room, where some of the tables are packed just a bit tight. I think i'll sit in the back room on future visits.

As I mentioned before, this space is a vast improvement over the previous location. It's quite apparent that more time and money has been spent on the renovations. The walls are painted with the same sort of mexican theme as the original location.. the floors are covered in thick tiles which give a nice, solid feel underfoot. The tables and chairs are much sturdier than at the first location, which is nice... sometimes I thought i might break those tables and chairs heheh.

The food is the same awesome fare we've come to expect from these folks, although the menu is a bit larger. There are more burritos, some more tacos, a new desserts section, etc. I noticed that the prices had risen a bit on each entree, however I was amazed at the size of our meals... MUCH larger than at the previous location. The new plates are large ovals, and the food portions have been adjusted to fill the space. (i'm guessing that's why the prices have gone up a bit, too). So all in all, Tu Tierra is STILL excellent value for the money... quite refreshing in the otherwise overpriced food scene of calgary.

I had the tacos al pastor - delicious as always. The tortillas that come with the tacos are now fried (as opposed to being steamed), and the amount of taco filling has increased by about 30% or so. They no longer have bottles of El Yucateco on the tables. I'm not sure if this is because they are just opening, or because this is more of a 'restaurant," but I soon realized it didn't really matter because my plate of tacos included a little dish of AWESOME spicy salsa (like a runny sauce, not a pico de gallo-type) which I assume was made in-house. However, I did miss the green tomatillo salsa that was formerly served with the tacos. Might have to ask for a side of this next time.

My friend had a chile verde burrito (steak cubes inside), and that thing was GIANT! I had a taste and it was good as ever. Tu Tierra has a damn good salsa verde!

all the usual characters were working... :) hector back in the kitchen, working his magic, and the very friendly waiter lady who i think is his sister-in-law (don't know her name, though). They actually remembered us from the previous location and gave us a very warm welcome... So excited that they have moved into the neighborhood!

Didn't get a chance to check the hours, but it would be great if they were open a bit later than the original location, say 9 or 10.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Nissanaddict
02-11-2010, 10:59 PM
I just got out to the new location today. Basically the same stuff as mentioned, but I wasn't even able to finish mine in one sitting. It's certainly bigger portion-wise. No liquor license yet (soon they said), but everything else seems to be up and running.

Ran in for lunch, and a friend, who didn't enjoy his first visit to the Oakridge location, said that his food (the Puerco Bean burrito) was probably the best thing he'd ever had at a Mexican restaurant.

They now give chips and salsa like many Mexican restaurants, and we got both a Pico De Gallo type salsa, and a sauce that visually resembled a dill dip, but contained avocado, and was kinda spicy. Both very good.

twodoor
03-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Just an update on Tu Tierra -- they now have their liquor license.

cancer man
03-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Yeah they had to go to a course on how to handle liquor.