PDA

View Full Version : My Jackson or maybe Turbo GSR Integra / JDM Front

Toma
02-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Well, my buddy Fidel popped by today and motivated me to yank the tired GSR motor from the 'teg. I was gonna get someone to do this for me, but he said we would have it out in a couple hours....

So, we got to work! It's a GSR with a Jackson on it that was smoking so bad, you would have thought it was the batmobile. The Jackson tensioner pulley was chewed and not tensioning shit.... explains the almost non existant boost lol.

The motor is supposed to have Eagle Rods and JE pistons, and skunk 2 cams.... If it has all that on tear down, I may sell the Jackson kit, and toss a turbo on it instead to use the potential of the built bottom end.

Progress today....
http://www.dynomotive.ca/gsr1.jpg

http://www.dynomotive.ca/gsr2.jpg

Fidel removing the fuel rails and supercharger...
http://www.dynomotive.ca/gsr3.jpg

On the stand....
http://www.dynomotive.ca/gsr4.jpg

dj_rice
02-07-2009, 11:44 PM
The paint color on that Teg looks awesome

Toma
02-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
The paint color on that Teg looks awesome

It's the picture lol... its just that green colour they come with, and the body is not too shit hot, but, I am a tuner guy, not a body guy so.... meh :dunno: lol

I just need some projects finished and out of my way so I can get to the 'bigger' project lol.

mboldt
02-08-2009, 12:44 AM
PM me if you decide to sell the JR kit.

Toma
02-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Well....fuck.... this makes stuff hard...

It actually has crower titanium retainers, so I assume springs, and also has Eagle rods and JE pistons.... so I have no reason to doubt the Skunk2 cams.....

WTF do I do now?? Totally overkill for what I wanted to do.

Sell this motor, and buy a stocker and put the Jackson on it?
Sell the Jackson and turbo it to about 400hp?
Keep the Jackson and add a 75hp hit of nitrous....

Crap.... gotta think about this a bit lol

I really like how it drove with the blower, down low, part throttle...
http://www.dynomotive.ca/crower.jpg
http://www.dynomotive.ca/je.jpg

Toma
02-08-2009, 05:07 PM
LOL.... ohoh.... here is why it was smoking :nut:

3 broken pistons lol! And it was a flat top, AND I was told this thing was oversped and made 11 psi from the Eaton :nut:

http://www.dynomotive.ca/pistonbroke.jpg

Datsun-Fever
02-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Thinking about selling the motor?

Dj_Stylz
02-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Nice teg Toma. Get it fixed and back on the road haha.

Toma
02-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Datsun-Fever
Thinking about selling the motor?
Maybe.... gonna see what a stock motor is worth, then may rebuild this 'old' one with some lower compression pistons, and sell it freshened.

Gonna have to do some calling around tomorrow and check things out.

dj_honda
02-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Toma

Maybe.... gonna see what a stock motor is worth, then may rebuild this 'old' one with some lower compression pistons, and sell it freshened.

Gonna have to do some calling around tomorrow and check things out.

a stock gsr should be fairly cheap and with the sc and a tune should be more fun to drive than this one was with the sc. i think i remember you saying something about the pistons being 8.8 CR or something?

A stock gsr can handle the jrsc easy and will be fun to drive and overall will be cheap to finish your project. then you can take your time with the rebuild.

legendboy
02-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Toma, your gonna want to yank the "block saver" block guard out of the coolant sleeve if you rebuild that motor.

Thoes thing cause all kinds of problems

might need to tap a few of the holes to get it out...

Toma
02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda

a stock gsr should be fairly cheap and with the sc and a tune should be more fun to drive than this one was with the sc. i think i remember you saying something about the pistons being 8.8 CR or something?

A stock gsr can handle the jrsc easy and will be fun to drive and overall will be cheap to finish your project. then you can take your time with the rebuild.
The compression is what I was told.... but no way that is what it is with flat tops....

ls/vtec-crx
02-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Hey Toma,

It's Allan! You should remember this car we dynoed this thing stock motor w/charger and then full build w/charger. This was back when nelson was with us at speedtech. It had a stock front end at the time. ooooold schooool lol

Toma
02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Anyone got a stock GSR motor?

Toma
02-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by ls/vtec-crx
Hey Toma,

It's Allan! You should remember this car we dynoed this thing stock motor w/charger and then full build w/charger. This was back when nelson was with us at speedtech. It had a stock front end at the time. ooooold schooool lol

Hey Buddy!

Yeah, except the car was mint back then lol :thumbsup:

sputnik
02-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Looks like that engine lost a timing belt while running at one time.

78si
02-10-2009, 11:45 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=240804

Free delivery

Toma
02-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by 78si
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=240804

Free delivery
PM sent!

Toma
02-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Ok.... change of direction. The old motor needs too much work, and I have too much on the go to take care of it now.

So, thanks to 78si for the 'new' JDM GSR motor. We got it in, and fired. A the same time, I had to fix a bit of wiring from previously, and installed 2 new axles. :thumbsup:

So, tonight, got a smoking deal on a used ZEX wet 'brain box'. Intriguing cause most the Integras and stuff I tune are turbo, some blower, some NA,... not a single nitrous one in what... 5 years?? Gotta be different lol.

New Plan.... Sell the Jackson kit.
Get this thing tuned with a switchable chip with crome, so that it is optimally tuned both NA and on nitrous. Gonna jet with a 60 to 75 hp shot, just gotta buy a fogger nozzle and some jets.

After this car is out of my hair, I will rebuild the old motor and just sell it as a motor.... too many good parts to waste. The damn springs and titanium retainers alone are $$$. The bores are straight, but already 81.5mm so either just a hone and toss in some new slugs, or overbore to 82mm.

'New' motor in the car and running....

http://www.dynomotive.ca/newmotorgsr.jpg
http://www.dynomotive.ca/gsrzex.jpg

prudzzz
02-22-2009, 12:09 PM
I highly doubt the clearances were checked on your last motor and i highly doubt the cams were degree'd. If you don't have the tools to check them and degree them (dial gauges, digital micrometer, bore gauge, degree wheel etc) i would not bother rebuilding the motor. If even one of those are ignored with that motor odds are it will fail again. Just to check p2v and v2v contact specs alone will take you hours to get all the specs and is one of the most crucial part.

I would just part the motor out since it is loaded with goodies. And no i do not want any of the parts, i am just being honest with my advice on what needs to be done when you are building a built honda n/a motor. Way to many people slap honda motors together with high lift cams and think that everything will be fine and within a few 100 to a few 1000 km's the motor goes bye bye. You can't check p2v and v2v while tuning either, that is not a tuning issue, it is a mechanical issue.

Other than that, your build looks fun. I am going the same route as you with the nitrous :)

Toma
02-22-2009, 01:56 PM
^^^ LOL... thanks, but I have a pretty good idea how to check clearances and cam timing.

This motor failed out of detonation. The 'tune' that was in it was WAY out, the FPR was not boost referencing, and the Jackson was overdriven.

Also, these particular JE Pistons were the wrong choice for force induction... not only for compression, but top ring location.

When I rebuild it, it will be right.

R154
02-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by prudzzz
I highly doubt the clearances were checked on your last motor and i highly doubt the cams were degree'd. If you don't have the tools to check them and degree them (dial gauges, digital micrometer, bore gauge, degree wheel etc) i would not bother rebuilding the motor. If even one of those are ignored with that motor odds are it will fail again. Just to check p2v and v2v contact specs alone will take you hours to get all the specs and is one of the most crucial part.

I would just part the motor out since it is loaded with goodies. And no i do not want any of the parts, i am just being honest with my advice on what needs to be done when you are building a built honda n/a motor. Way to many people slap honda motors together with high lift cams and think that everything will be fine and within a few 100 to a few 1000 km's the motor goes bye bye. You can't check p2v and v2v while tuning either, that is not a tuning issue, it is a mechanical issue.

Other than that, your build looks fun. I am going the same route as you with the nitrous :)

Toma runs to shops and is a very knowledgable tuner around the world.

He knows what he is doing

78si
02-22-2009, 07:25 PM
I've had good luck with the zex wet system on my 78 civic. I ran a 75hp nitrous jet and a 65 hp fuel jet with no problems (1.6L). I figured I could run more "NOZZ" due to our altitude.

Toma
02-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by 78si
I've had good luck with the zex wet system on my 78 civic. I ran a 75hp nitrous jet and a 65 hp fuel jet with no problems (1.6L). I figured I could run more "NOZZ" due to our altitude.
LOL...yup, I was GONNA try that....

But, the adventurous part in me says try the 125 or 150 shot....

Is there warranty on this motor ?? :D

Mr_ET
02-22-2009, 09:17 PM
click click boom!

stick with 75 Toma :)

92gsr
02-22-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm sure you know this but I wouldn't overbore to 82mm when rebuilding that other motor. The sleeves will be pretty thin for a boosted application.

prudzzz
02-22-2009, 09:42 PM
^^^ LOL... thanks, but I have a pretty good idea how to check clearances and cam timing.

This motor failed out of detonation. The 'tune' that was in it was WAY out, the FPR was not boost referencing, and the Jackson was overdriven.

Also, these particular JE Pistons were the wrong choice for force induction... not only for compression, but top ring location.

When I rebuild it, it will be right.

Good to hear :thumbsup:

Toma
02-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Sold the Zex box, bought a couple regular nitrous solenoids.

Now I gotta piece together lines, a fogger nozzle and the Pièce de résistance ... a state of the art programmable progressive controller.

This thing WILL take 150 hp, or I'll blow it up trying ;)

Besides, the dyno just got a 4 channel EGT upgrade... just waiting for the sensors :thumbsup:

Oh, and the Integra got some 'new' wheels, so they at least all match. Looks WAY better, pictures tomorrow.

Supa Dexta
02-25-2009, 12:44 AM
I've wondered this before, in the case of a 4 egt setup, are they for dyno-ing only, or are they monitored real time as well. I guess it would depend on the ems, but surely one wouldn't monitor 4 gauges. :nut:

Toma
02-25-2009, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I've wondered this before, in the case of a 4 egt setup, are they for dyno-ing only, or are they monitored real time as well. I guess it would depend on the ems, but surely one wouldn't monitor 4 gauges. :nut:
My EGT controller is part of a 10 channel logger, so it is dyno only really.

I could give a rats ass about EGT's normally, BUT when pushing the envelope, it's nice to track cylinder to cylinder variations.

I've been using a IR gun during loaded runs when it matters, but its not as nice, and you need a partner.

So, since I will be using a single fogger nozzle, I would want to monitor each pipe to try and catch any fuel distribution problems, and fix them if possible.... before a meltdown.

And realistically... once it's tuned, in cockpit gauges are kinda useless unless you are changing something.

Toma
02-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Found a nozzle that makes me happy, an assortment of jets, and ordered the nitrous controller. Should all be here next week sometime.

My dual program "flip chip" is delayed though, but I don't really need that to tune it for now.....

A little worried about the big hit of nitrous, I also am in the process of ordering up the components to build a water injection kit... just in case. 240 psi bitches! :nut:

Anyone got pics of the inside of a stock GSR manifold??

Oh, as coincidence would have it, I am attending a "how to tune outlaw drag race suspensions" seminar in the US next month, and as so it happens, one of the best nitrous tuners/system designers on the continent will be there. Would love to see what I don't know ;) ;) Very exciting!

JCarder
02-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Toma ^^^ LOL... thanks, but I have a pretty good idea how to check clearances and cam timing. This motor failed out of detonation. The 'tune' that was in it was WAY out, the FPR was not boost referencing, and the Jackson was overdriven. Also, these particular JE Pistons were the wrong choice for force induction... not only for compression, but top ring location. When I rebuild it, it will be right.

Please PM me if this kit is for sale??

Also, what is its condition, given you said it has been overdriven??

Toma
02-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by JCarder

Please PM me if this kit is for sale??

Also, what is its condition, given you said it has been overdriven??
It's for sale... just gotta take a day to get all the parts together and clean it up.

The car has been a project car for years, so it has very few miles on it, and fewer still since the overdrive pulley.

JCarder
02-28-2009, 12:24 PM

It's for sale... just gotta take a day to get all the parts together and clean it up.

The car has been a project car for years, so it has very few miles on it, and fewer still since the overdrive pulley.

Let me know how much you would like for it.

I will also need to get it tuned once on the car and I heard you are pretty good at that....if your interested send me a price for that too.

S-FLY
03-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Let me know how the build goes Toma. Or if you need any help tuning when you get it on the dyno. I've also turned turbo and NA, never nitrous. Would be a good learning experience.

JAYMEZ
03-02-2009, 12:21 PM
LOL of course Fidel made ya do it! :rofl:

Toma
03-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
LOL of course Fidel made ya do it! :rofl:
LOL... nah, well... kind of....

I mean if he didn't come and help me, it would probably still be in the garage lol! With is help, we had it done in a few hours.

He doesn't read forums.... but "Thanks Buddy!"

crez
03-22-2009, 01:00 PM
If you still have that sc kit i'm interested in it. How much you wanting for it, condition, etc.

Toma
04-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Finally, the weather was nice enough that I was motivated to get the POS out of my garage, and throw it on the dyno for a quickie tune on jsut motor, before I put nitrous on it... Pretty typical power. Stock GSR, Header, Exhaust, Cold air. ;)

Used Crome this time, next time, gonna try the new Uberdata....

Rpm_____ HP_______ Tq
2750____ 53.3 ____ 101.7
3000____ 60.4 ____ 105.7
3250____ 63.8 ____ 103.1
3500____ 69.2 ____ 103.9
3750____ 74.8 ____ 104.7
4000____ 80.6 ____ 105.8
4250____ 86.2 ____ 106.5
4500____ 96.7 ____ 112.8
4750____ 98.2 ____ 108.6
5000___ 103.4 ____ 108.7
5250___ 112.9 ____ 113
5500___ 121.1 ____ 115.6
5750___ 127.8 ____ 116.7
6000___ 132.8 ____ 116.3
6250___ 135.6 ____ 113.9
6500___ 139.4 ____ 112.7
6750___ 142.2 ____ 110.6
7000___ 145.6 ____ 109.2
7250___ 147.3 ____ 106.7
7500___ 146.5____ 102.6

http://www.dynomotive.ca/DYNOa.jpg

Mr_ET
04-07-2009, 09:04 PM
What kind of intake, header and exhaust if you don't mind sharing?

Toma
04-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
What kind of intake, header and exhaust if you don't mind sharing?
Cold air?? no idea... just 2 crome pipes and a K&N style filter... pretty cheesy, came with the car.

Exhaust it just a header, 4 into 1, squashed one or tow on the bottom cause car is too low. 2.5" exhaust, no cat, straight through muffler, no idea brand.

You can actually see it in the previous page with the picture of the motor in the car.

Toma
04-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Disappointing dyno day... wanted to break 150 whp. Ran some baselines, swapped plugs, and then changed from the cheapest junk 5w30 Walmart oil to Full Synthetic European formula Mobil 1 0w40 oil.

Made many runs, was keeping track of oil temperatures (they were what affected power output the most.)

Zip, Zilch, NADA for a power gain. Best tonight was 146.2 on the shit oil...

http://www.dynomotive.ca/oil.jpg

Mr_ET
04-09-2009, 06:27 AM
played with ignition timing?

Toma
04-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Nah, she was tuned the day before pretty spot on...

Just changed plugs, then oil, tried no filter, shorter cold air, no pcv etc as well...

legendboy
04-09-2009, 09:50 AM
fixing the header might get you there

you could also take off the ps belt but thats cheating

Mr_ET
04-09-2009, 10:21 AM
leaf blower that's where it's at man:thumbsup:

dj_honda
04-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Nah, she was tuned the day before pretty spot on...

Just changed plugs, then oil, tried no filter, shorter cold air, no pcv etc as well...

were you running a filter??

try running something like this...and then possibly messing with the length.
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o248/RiverOtter1/DSC_0157.jpg