PDA

View Full Version : Project Car Concerns

Erff
02-08-2009, 01:13 AM
I want another project car but im not sure what way I should go, I got into VW's for my first project car but I spent way to much money on that and it seemed all the parts were pricy and hard to get, comparing to domestics or japanese cars so im headed towards a 240sx, civic hatchback, prelude, As of now im heading towards a civic hatch but im deciding whether i should do with a an 89-91 or 92-95, i was wondering what would be easier/cheaper to to work on, getting aftermarket parts, and possibly even swapping in a jdm engine later on, i've never swapped an engine but i really would like to give it a go, any thoughts, comments, or suggestions? Heres my last project car....
Before/After
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/erff_jettagl/Picture004.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/erff_jettagl/DSC01553.jpg

Mr_ET
02-08-2009, 01:22 AM
a 92-95 civic will be the easiest to work with for a swap, it's already obd1 if you ever want to get it tuned and most b series engines can be bolted in without too much work or a bunch of brackets/mounts/ps/ac swap.

03ozwhip
02-08-2009, 02:46 AM
or you can buy my 91 civic hatch automatic thats supercharged already. swap a 5 speed in there and you got a good base car to start with some more serious mods! shameless plug to sell my car i know haha

Erff
02-08-2009, 11:07 AM
It would be tempting but i think i might be going for a 92-95 hatch, then possilly swapping in a jdm engine later on, what other places could i look into getting an engine/trannys besides jdmsource?

texasnick
02-10-2009, 10:29 AM
junkyards

B Series motors shouldn't be expensive or hard to come by. In fact, I think there's a GSR motor for sale on here for around $1300.

92-95 will def. be easier to modify, engine swap wise.

What's your budget and goals for this build?

Erff
02-11-2009, 10:01 AM
My budget it very low, but I can do all of the autobody work myself, as in i work in the trade so thats just my time and the price of the primers, paints, etc, so i'd be looking to get a car for a max of $1500 but preferably $1000, most likely keep stock bumpers, unless i can find a nice clean, cheap aftermarket bumper, but other that than plastic welding the stock bumper to a more sleekish look, delete antenna holes, just basic things to clean the car up along with straighen out the body, put a nice paint job on it, fix any forming rust or rotten spots, clean up the interior, maybe a few gauges and small modifications, all within good taste, but if I did end up swapping in an engine if would be later summer when i have soem extra cash flow, mostly now i want to just put in some time on the outside with would be very cheap for me to do, im still looking for a good car to start off with, i found a nice 91 civic si, how more difficult are swaps with these cars compared to 92-95? If i were to put in a B series motor/tranny later on?

Supa Dexta
02-11-2009, 10:46 AM
If your budget is that low, don't bother.. You'll have a tacky shitty car, thats bleeding you dry and you never get any further ahead.

Mr_ET
02-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Erff
My budget it very low, but I can do all of the autobody work myself, as in i work in the trade so thats just my time and the price of the primers, paints, etc, so i'd be looking to get a car for a max of $1500 but preferably $1000, most likely keep stock bumpers, unless i can find a nice clean, cheap aftermarket bumper, but other that than plastic welding the stock bumper to a more sleekish look, delete antenna holes, just basic things to clean the car up along with straighen out the body, put a nice paint job on it, fix any forming rust or rotten spots, clean up the interior, maybe a few gauges and small modifications, all within good taste, but if I did end up swapping in an engine if would be later summer when i have soem extra cash flow, mostly now i want to just put in some time on the outside with would be very cheap for me to do, im still looking for a good car to start off with, i found a nice 91 civic si, how more difficult are swaps with these cars compared to 92-95? If i were to put in a B series motor/tranny later on?

They are still pretty easy but require mount kits and an obd wiring conversion if you want to be able to tune the engine.

You will be hard pressed to find a decent B series in any junkyard in this city. If you want a JDM engine JDM Source and JDM Motor Imports are the 2 I have used and they have both been great.

If you want something even cheaper, be prepared for a lot of legwork and try to find a scrapped Type R, GSR SIR or LS/RS Integra that was hit from behind but still has a solid engine that can be heard and seen running.

Usually the second route involves knowing your way around cars, knowing where to look and knowing a lot of people who can help.

Erff
02-15-2009, 10:59 PM
hmm thanks for all your replys, ive decided im going to sell my jeep before i purchase my project car otherwise ill be stuck with 3 vehicles so hopefully I can get it sold sometime soon, I think ive decided on a eg6 though, seems to be the better way to go with my budget and i know i can find a wide variety of used parts such as suspension, brakes, interior peices, engine parts and such, and i've always been a fan of the hatchbacks:D

TE4MFaint
03-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Go with an EG6 Erff :)
I just picked up a 91 240, come help me fix the minor rust ;)