PDA

View Full Version : 996 Porsche Targa Turbo

Idratherbsidewayz
02-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Has anyone ever seen a a 996 Targa with a turbo body kit, and engine?

Is it even possible, would the parts match up? All the Porsches look similar on the outside but are the chassis' the same?

I think this would make a really sick project. 996 Targas can be had in the states for a relatively small amount of money...

bashir26
02-08-2009, 08:22 PM
You can find 996 turbos in the states for 35K. How cheap is the 996 Targa?

You'll get ass raped with labour switching engines. I'd stay with a stock 996...

962 kid
02-08-2009, 08:29 PM
The targas and turbos have different engines, and it would be retarded money to swap the turbo engine in. Transmission, oiling system, cooling system, brakes and suspension are all different as well. Everything behind the doors on the targa is different than the Carrera, including the roof so you wouldn't be able to put turbo flares on.

If you think it'd be worth it after all that, then go for it :dunno: If not, then save up for a 996 turbocab

dino_martini
02-08-2009, 09:42 PM
I thought that the Targa 996/997 was longer then a standard 996/997 Turbo?

I would just buy a 996 Turbo. That way when you go to sell the car, its a 996 Turbo. Not a modified 996 Targa...

Just a thought.

Idratherbsidewayz
02-08-2009, 09:44 PM
For some reason I am completely in love with the Targas. I guess modifying the Targa with mostly aftermarket parts would be the best. Im sure you could make it as fast as a Turbo.

schocker
02-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz
For some reason I am completely in love with the Targas. I guess modifying the Targa with mostly aftermarket parts would be the best. Im sure you could make it as fast as a Turbo.
I also am a big fan of targas, all that glass looks nice imo with the top. But they are far too rare, you never see them here.

3tw03
02-08-2009, 11:36 PM
http://kulumotorcar.com/imagefile/porsche2006carrera4blkblkcab2.jpg

very niceee

http://kulumotorcar.com/imagefile/porsche2005turboSredblkareo2.jpg

:drool: :drool:

962 kid
02-09-2009, 12:05 AM
That black one is 85k, and the turbo S is 90k :dunno: not exactly cheap

Eleanor
02-09-2009, 05:25 PM
^ And you can get a GT-R brand new for about the same price that will beat both of them around a track :drama: :D

AllGoNoShow
02-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
That black one is 85k, and the turbo S is 90k :dunno: not exactly cheap

As you should know, if OP is looking for "cheap" is looking at the wrong car and the wrong project. Either of these 2 cars would be cheaper then a 996 Targa w/ Turbo swapped. The 997 targo is quick, agile, fun, a vert, decent on maintance. The Turbo S has the power he wants, agile, looks sickening and isn't completely outragous for maintance. A 996 targa turbo would be the shits for maintance as no one would want to work on it and deal with its headaches, it would be a shitmix of porsche parts left right and center to make it all work properly if it even could be done.

Don't forget those are prestine examples which is why they are priced respectively. If he wants a shitbox from New Orleans to swap a motor into then he won't be paying that price for the car itself.

schocker
02-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
^ And you can get a GT-R brand new for about the same price that will beat both of them around a track :drama: :D
It is like you hate every car that I like.:rofl:

Idratherbsidewayz
02-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow

As you should know, if OP is looking for "cheap" is looking at the wrong car and the wrong project. Either of these 2 cars would be cheaper then a 996 Targa w/ Turbo swapped. The 997 targo is quick, agile, fun, a vert, decent on maintance. The Turbo S has the power he wants, agile, looks sickening and isn't completely outragous for maintance. A 996 targa turbo would be the shits for maintance as no one would want to work on it and deal with its headaches, it would be a shitmix of porsche parts left right and center to make it all work properly if it even could be done.

Don't forget those are prestine examples which is why they are priced respectively. If he wants a shitbox from New Orleans to swap a motor into then he won't be paying that price for the car itself.

I really just want a fast Targa that handles like a mofugger. I like the earlier targas but they are ridiculously expensive.

So as I see it from the few good arguments, it would be my best bet to modify it with aftermarket parts.

And by cheap, I meant relatively cheap. Relative to other Porsche projects, or buying a 85k Turbo. Budget maybe 45-50k.

JAYMEZ
02-09-2009, 08:04 PM

You dont buy a porsche for track times. I would pick a Porsche or Aston Martin over a GTR anyday . Im back in the market looking for another 996 , its an amazing car.

adamc
02-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Buy my C4! :)

TorqueDog
02-09-2009, 08:37 PM
^ And you can get a GT-R brand new for about the same price that will beat both of them around a track :drama: :D Yeah, but you still have to budget $20k when you grenade the transmission.

Redlyne_mr2
02-09-2009, 09:00 PM
35K for a 996 turbo? That sounds like a horrendous money pit.

calstar
02-09-2009, 09:12 PM
I know this is a bit off topic but here are spy pics of the 998 Targa prototype

http://www.motorauthority.com/spy-shots-998-porsche-911-targa.html

Eleanor
02-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by schocker
It is like you hate every car that I like.:rofl: You and ZorroAMG must get along pretty well then :rofl:

Originally posted by JAYMEZ
You dont buy a porsche for track times. I would pick a Porsche or Aston Martin over a GTR anyday . Im back in the market looking for another 996 , its an amazing car. Lots of people buy porsches for track times. I just made that comment to rip on 962 :rofl:

Originally posted by TorqueDog
Yeah, but you still have to budget $20k when you grenade the transmission. Shhhhhhhhh :D