PDA

View Full Version : Your worst prof/teacher ever ...

nismodrifter
10-08-2003, 10:33 PM
i am in first year at uni and I must say I have encountered the worst teacher I have ever had in my life

math 251 with Bates

guy is a fool and just talks shit out of his mouth not caring that 95% of the class doesn't understand a single word he is saying

every single other teacher I have at uni is great...but this guy is ruining math for me...if I do shitty in this class I'm screwed...and it doesn't help when I can't understand what the hell hes talking about

anybody else ever had this guy? or is there worse than him...

Shaolin
10-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Worst prof I ever had in my 3.5 years at U of C was probably the following.

J Schaer - Math 271
- Dude knew his shit, but it was like he was teaching the course in another language that no one understood
J Potter - Geology 291 rocks for jocks
- She got so pissed off at us near the end of the semester and she wouldn't stop or slow down for us to write notes because the class was full of asses
Sniaticki - Math 221, i don't remember his first name
- Different speak english very well and also trying to convince us that communism will be on the rise in North America, fucking commie.
Some German dude that taught CPSC231
- First time teach the course, i give him that, but I would rather watch paint dry then listen to him talk.
Kim Vaughn - Psyc 357 and 355
- tried to be "one of the guys/girls" and failed miserably.

Worst TA
- Some chinese guy that had a Masters degree in Math, total fob. Was the TA of my Math 251 course. He had to get us to hand out the assignments because he couldn't pronounce our names.. We had to figure out how to do the problems that we needed help on because his english was below sub par. He was there to do the problems and drop off the assignments, he wasn't good for anything else.

Weapon_R
10-08-2003, 10:46 PM
I think my worst prof was Pinno. Fuck was he ever messed up. But he knew this, thats why he used to work deals with students :)

nismodrifter
10-08-2003, 10:47 PM
ahha...I only have 1 ta that can't speak english so I didn't get it bad there

walker for bio = great
duer for cpsc = great
lorro for phyz = great
sandblom for chem = great
bates for math = I am going to shoot this guy tomorrow. Middle of class on monday he began talking about Linux and was wondering if the U of C system ran on AIX or something. Went into a full pc lesson in the middle of class for no apparent reason

compared my last quiz with other math251 kids.....everybody elses quizzes were easy stuff (some even got m/c quiz :eek: ) while the quiz for our class was stoopid hard

AquamosH
10-08-2003, 10:48 PM
My Psyc 209 prof last year (Dr. Abra) was much worse than this guy sounds. He was a nice guy and all, just way too old fashioned. He looked like he was about 70 yrs. old.

We had long written tests, and whoever marked them had insanely high expectations, which only a few ppl were able to meet.

Needless to say, out of a class of 70, about 35 ppl withdrew from it (including myself). I don't even think they offered 209 this year, wonder why...?

Weapon_R
10-08-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by AquamosH
My Psyc 209 prof last year (Dr. Abra) was much worse than this guy sounds. He was a nice guy and all, just way too old fashioned. He looked like he was about 70 yrs. old.

We had long written tests, and whoever marked them had insanely high expectations, which only a few ppl were able to meet.

Needless to say, out of a class of 70, about 35 ppl withdrew from it (including myself). I don't even think they offered 209 this year, wonder why...?

I took that class, passed with nothing to be proud of. The guy was a fucking psycho. And yes, it's been stopped this year. Too bad it took so long for them to realize that he was an asshole. I think he used to mark our tests, and he was BRUTAL.

Shaolin
10-08-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
ahha...I only have 1 ta that can't speak english so I didn't get it bad there

walker for bio = great
duer for cpsc = great
lorro for phyz = great
sandblom for chem = great
bates for math = I am going to shoot this guy tomorrow. Middle of class on monday he began talking about Linux and was wondering if the U of C system ran on AIX or something. Went into a full pc lesson in the middle of class for no apparent reason

WTF, that was like me and Sniaticki, near the end of the class he'd stop teaching linear algebra and talk about Poland and rise of communism in North America.

Anyone have Holden or Tracey for Econ? those 2 teachers saved me from going postal on campus. Holden's couch story is classic.

Melinda
10-08-2003, 11:16 PM
Monte Stewart for Feature Writing and Cdn Gov't last semester...wow what a shitty teacher...we actually all skipped his class and went to complain to the dean about his teaching (this was of course after they ignored the petition with 300 signatures we did) Needless to say, he's not teaching in my faculty anymore :D

V6-BoI
10-08-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin

Sniaticki - Math 221, i don't remember his first name
- Different speak english very well and also trying to convince us that communism will be on the rise in North America, fucking commie.

I dunno I found sniaticki an alright prof. Sure his english was pretty bad, but his tests/quizzes were easy.

Worst prof I've had was Brudnyi for Amat 217, and Ezibella (or something like that) for Engg 233

D'z Nutz
10-09-2003, 12:04 AM

Some German dude that taught CPSC231
- First time teach the course, i give him that, but I would rather watch paint dry then listen to him talk.

Christian Jacob? If that's the guy, I was in his class too. I *could not* understand the hell he said. He sounded like the albino priest in The Princess Bride, only he spoke faster.

thich
10-09-2003, 12:13 AM
worst profs:

acct317=green
coms363=smith
math251=wang

most profs i've had i've liked b/c they teach well.
if any of u have to take stats213, i found Chen to be awesome prof. his notes were well sorted and he taught the principles very well

maximus
10-09-2003, 12:17 AM

J Schaer - Math 271
- Dude knew his shit, but it was like he was teaching the course in another language that no one understood
Kim Vaughn - Psyc 357 and 355
- tried to be "one of the guys/girls" and failed miserably.
:rofl:

I have Tracy right now. He is DAMN SLOW!!!! It's kinda good that takes his time explaining things and stuff but man, sometimes you just wanna kill him because he's soo slow. And he's always telling stories and letting us out early and stuff. If you were to seriously calculate how much time he spends on stuff each class it would be maybe 1/2 hour at most.

Anyone have Gorden?

Shaolin
10-09-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by thich
worst profs:

acct317=green
coms363=smith
math251=wang

most profs i've had i've liked b/c they teach well.
if any of u have to take stats213, i found Chen to be awesome prof. his notes were well sorted and he taught the principles very well

Morrison for stats.. dam, I don't know why but i thought she was fucking hot.. she was a good stats teacher too though.. but dammmmm :love: :poosie:

Shaolin
10-09-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Christian Jacob? If that's the guy, I was in his class too. I *could not* understand the hell he said. He sounded like the albino priest in The Princess Bride, only he spoke faster.

Yep i think so (This was 3 years ago at least), I just remember him as a quiet guy, like you literally had to be 5 feet away from him or else you wouldn't understand wtf he was trying to say.. he was short, skinny and had glasses..

Shaolin
10-09-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by maximus

:rofl:

I have Tracy right now. He is DAMN SLOW!!!! It's kinda good that takes his time explaining things and stuff but man, sometimes you just wanna kill him because he's soo slow. And he's always telling stories and letting us out early and stuff. If you were to seriously calculate how much time he spends on stuff each class it would be maybe 1/2 hour at most.

Anyone have Gorden?

Tracey is VERY SLOW, but because of that, there's no excuse on not understanding his shit because he's so thorough.. You ever see him write on the board? it's like watching a slideshow.. but yeah, slow as hell, but a good teacher none the less, completely opposite of Holden, but I respect him as well because he likes to make bets in sports :D

YCB
10-09-2003, 12:32 AM
CHANG for math.. total fob and u have to learn stuff urslef..

also Mollin for math .. doesn't know how to write..

inspire
10-09-2003, 01:26 AM
valentine for psyc205

AquamosH
10-09-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by inspire
valentine for psyc205

Haha, that's another one. She'd always talk about how she does psych experiments on her little kid.

gkAeris
10-09-2003, 01:50 AM
Dont take stat 213 from K Vasduanuan (or somethign like that) it's like throwing $400 right into the F*&King toliet, honestly it feels like he's teachign himself, and you hear is blah blah blah,

max_boost
10-09-2003, 02:33 AM
Tracey & Holden are the best :D

Why am I telling you this? To give you a break.......

The exam is completely irrelevant to the power of the force........

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That is all I remember before I dropped out

Davetronz
10-09-2003, 08:24 AM
My current Math285 instructor foams at the mouth.
And doesnt wipe it....

accordboi_02
10-09-2003, 08:52 AM
Worst I ever had was Arnold for Soci of Deviance and Soci of Law.
He doesn't give a shit about teaching; all he wants to do is his research. He makes every student literally rehash what he lectures about, doesn't encourage any independent thought, and is insanely unfair when grading.
In my final year, he even made my supervisor have to take over his class halfway through the semes b/c he was in a low speed, low impact accident, and so he was "afraid to drive to work" so the bitch stayed at his house to do his precious research... fucker.

:banghead:

WhiteNikes
10-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Don. S. Bidulock. cpsc 355

There is no worse teacher. True his english is excellent. How could it not be? He practises cussing the entire class 3 to 4 times a day? He'll cuss you, make the exams so hard, if you didn't do the homework 3 times normally and once in BINARY you CAN NOT get finished in time.

For anyone that know cpsc... have you EVER seen someone go up to the board and write a FULL program in, not hex (to short), not binary (too common) but octal?? And say... "It's not rocket science people?" the cuss you for not knowing how it works?

Ajay
10-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Bates is still there?! My first year at UofC I was doing 251 with him and ended up withdrawing out of that class.

That dude is super eccentric!

My worst prof so far at the U was Labute - Stats 213.

nismodrifter
10-09-2003, 10:26 AM
great....had a quiz today....damn TA didn't show up....some people from our lab went to some other ta's with like 20 min left in the class...they didn't really know what to do either and they just photocopied some quizzes for us and made us do them in like 15 minutes...

bates + his TA = DEAD tomorrow

is there any possible way I can switch out of his bullshit class and get into another one because I really cannot stand this guy any longer...and I don't think many others can either. This guy tells us about his political feelings towards microsoft during class....

VWhooligan
10-09-2003, 12:05 PM
i'm taking intro calc 249 right now. lets just say the teacher is a retard. class average is 44%. and mine isn't that much better!

Seanith
10-09-2003, 05:09 PM
Two profs that come to mind that sucked real bad.

Math 221 : Dr. Schauer (sp?)
Amat 307 : Dr. Chang

some good ones are Dr. Brown (engg), dr. Azaiz(engg) and elsabrouty and lamerouix for AMAT

EG STyLeZ
10-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I think my worst prof was Pinno. Fuck was he ever messed up. But he knew this, thats why he used to work deals with students :)

pinno was the worst prfo EVER! couldn't read is writing and didn't know what the hell he was teaching.

math 253 - braverman was pretty bad too. hardcore foreign accent, so it was hard to understand.

davidI
10-09-2003, 06:54 PM
I hate the fact that as I'm reading this list I have or have had so many of these bad profs. :(

I hate my luck.

hampstor
10-10-2003, 01:02 AM
MacRae in the Econ department is one of the worst i've ever had, not only does he look like a doorknob, he certainly talked like one too!

I hated ECON315 with him, he'd spend 2 minutes dragging the mouse from the top right of the screen to the start button and another 5 trying to open up MS Excel. Ontop of that, most of the grade on his exams was what colours you made your cells.

Oh and J'val Shuster for ANTH205. I couldn't stand her tangents about how capitalism was the devil and how the IMF is killing babies in the 3rd world. She got nervous in class, stuttered, and her method of teaching was with powerpoint. It was all 'click... click... if i'm going too fast, then too bad. The notes are on the web'. Her evaluation from me said: "DEMON HELLRIDE!".

maximus
10-10-2003, 09:27 AM

Morrison for stats.. dam, I don't know why but i thought she was fucking hot.. she was a good stats teacher too though.. but dammmmm :love: :poosie:

I guess she wasn't that bad. I had here almost 2 years ago and you probably could have had a shot.....you could tell she needed a good one real bad ;)
It was actually funny because one day some nerd came to the class, understudy or something, and she put on all this makeup and shit...was real funny because she never like dressed up before. Her attitude kinda sucked though.

The one thing that I can't stand right now at the U is how more and more profs are using that damn powerpoint. I can't stand it. Most, you can tell, are from the actual texbook authors.
Teach damn you....we don't pay the $$$ to have someone read summery points from the text.
:banghead:

Shaolin
10-10-2003, 12:04 PM
hah I had Morrison for 217 2 years ago, and i found out she was already married, she just doesn't wear a ring.. but yeah her attitude was bitchy during class time, but she's a totally different person when she's in her office :D

sdubz
10-11-2003, 09:38 PM
ahah...i dont know what u guys are talking about, those profs wernt that bad chen is awsome for stat213...and valentine was alright for pych205. "master" bates for 251 was actually bad though, but his midterm was easy.
and u guys in traceys econ class, u in the 3:00 MWF?

nismodrifter
10-12-2003, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by sdubz
ahah...i dont know what u guys are talking about, those profs wernt that bad chen is awsome for stat213...and valentine was alright for pych205. "master" bates for 251 was actually bad though, but his midterm was easy.
and u guys in traceys econ class, u in the 3:00 MWF?

from what it looks like so far....nothing of his stuff is going to be easy

he gives us the hardest quizzes out of all the other math classes i have compared ours to. Other classes at least get SOME numbers in their quizzes....ours are all like prove some fx = some other bullshit when this bullshit is that etc.. etc...

last class in the middle of class he started talking right in the middle of class for about 10 minutes about how he used to streetrace and stuff back in the day and how cops caught people etc..

accordboi_02
10-12-2003, 03:48 PM

from what it looks like so far....nothing of his stuff is going to be easy

he gives us the hardest quizzes out of all the other math classes i have compared ours to. Other classes at least get SOME numbers in their quizzes....ours are all like prove some fx = some other bullshit when this bullshit is that etc.. etc...

Instead of just teaching you HOW to do something, Bates wants you to UNDERSTAND it... he's a big fan of proofs.
If you want good grades, just remember all of the proofs that he gives you in class, chances are some of those will be on your test/quizzes.
If you're not smart, you're not going to do well in his class, you better start working on your proofs as opposed to just straight "number" problems.

maximus
10-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Thats good though. If you can prove it you can usually solve any problem. Maybe I'm just partial because I don't find math that hard

accordboi_02
10-13-2003, 01:31 AM
^

I agree. Proofs are the hardest to do, but once you get them figured out, you can do ANYTHING in that area. Bates is actually a great prof, only problem is too many of his students are too lazy to actually commit the time required to learn the shit.

I especially love the Frosh coming fresh out of high school and think they can breeze through all the courses, and then bitch about how they have the "hardest" prof and it's not fair.

To you frosh who bitch about hard profs, think about it this way: you're paying ~$5,000/year for an education... would you rather learn something, or have some jack-off PhD student who doesn't give a rats ass beyond his/her dissertation give you some nice, easy assignments and tests??

One thing I loved about Univ above all else was the fact that I was actually able to learn stuff, not just rehash the same garbage over and over again. I was fortunate enough to get profs who actually wanted to TEACH, and not just go through the motions because it's part of their job description.

BebeAphrodite
10-24-2003, 08:50 PM
PJ Coe -- worst Econ teacher I've had (done my econ degree this year)... he's so smart he forgets that the class isn't full of PhD students. LOVES math...uses intense math in classes where math249 isn't even a prereq. Loves to fail students on midterms and add the midterm mark onto the final... grrr...

-APEX-
10-24-2003, 08:58 PM
i had this teacher he was an ass but he was funny stuff cause hed be giving you shit for doing someing wrong and right in the middel of his yelling at you he puts his fingers to his nocse and he starts to sniff them the more you laugh at him when he does this the more he does it so its usually a pretty interesting day sometimes

nismodrifter
10-24-2003, 09:19 PM
ok...i am not sure if you guys will believe me or not but get this:

Bates just had a newborn kid :eek:

The guy looks like he's 60 years old....he keeps complaining in class about how tired he is because his new kid doesn't let him sleep

Imagine what his kid must look like :eek: huge glasses, every muscle in his body twitching uncontrollably....I feel sorry for that kid

maximus
10-25-2003, 05:48 PM
Tracy ahs the be THE WORST teacher. He teaches very little stuff and then for the midterm he wants you to just rewrite his notes. I mean EXACTLY his notes. You basically have to photocopy his notes into an exam booklet. If you don't write something that was in his notes he'll dock marks. Even if you explain everything but don't draw the graph he'll doc marks. Sure its an easy A but come on, thats redicuous. I would rather get a B on a midterm that actually called for me to apply what I've learnt to see if I actually understand it rather than just remember shit some old lady put on the board and then foget it. And the UofC wonders why they always rank so low. It because professors like this want desperately to be liked by the students that they tell stories all class then let you out early and make micky mouse midterms. Then he bends you over on the final so that he saves his own ass because the avrage is too high. Don't people realize they're paying for this crap. I would advise everyone that wants to learn anything NOT take Tracy. If you want to actually walk away from a course having learnt something then avoid him as much as possible.

Now that I think about, the courses that I've gotten A's in are not with profs that I think of as really good. Easy profs DON'T make good profs!!!

RiCE-DaDDy
10-26-2003, 01:12 AM
holden > tracey??

man is bidoluck that bad??? im gonna have him for 355 in winter!!

BebeAphrodite
10-27-2003, 02:02 PM
tracey is wicked! he'll give u marks for nothing too!!!
he gives a very solid case for future classes because he makes sure that everyone understands

awesome prof!!

thich
10-27-2003, 03:40 PM
i agree.
I don't know why anyone would say Tracy sucks.
He's like the best! goes through the material very very thoroughly and his notes are ten times better than Holden's.
i hate holden.

maximus
10-27-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by thich
i agree.
I don't know why anyone would say Tracy sucks.

because the way he teaches is staight memorization of his notes.

thich
10-27-2003, 04:02 PM
and the problem would be...??
see, i find his notes very useful and thorough -- much more livelier than the text book.

maximus
10-27-2003, 04:08 PM
Its not challanging...it dosn't make you think. In the real world you arn't given a booklet when you're hired and told to just memorize everything and throughout we'll just ask you to tell us exactly what it says. You need to APPLY this stuff especially in economics. When you are forced to apply the stuff then you really learn it.

Don't get me wrong, its an easy A. Its perfect if you want to breeze through.

thich
10-27-2003, 04:45 PM
i find i can apply it to real world applications.

but then again, i am not an economics major/minor so I don't think my experience can be used as a basis for this.

i find that he teaches very well and is a much better professor than compared to Holden

edit: plus... Tracey is how old now? so memorizing would be a good method of keeping things simple. (for him anyways)... but it may affect ppl like yourself who want to learn applicable things.

maximus
10-27-2003, 04:48 PM
Oh I never said Holden was better. They are both bad in my opinion.

Maybe thats why the University considers them both instructors not professors

don't worry I won't hold it against you (Tracy Lover :tongue: ) most people like him because he's easy. The Econ majors I've talked to, most share my opinion but others like him.
:dunno:

accordboi_02
10-27-2003, 11:08 PM
Its not challanging...

Sure its an easy A but come on, thats redicuous. I would rather get a B on a midterm that actually called for me to apply what I've learnt to see if I actually understand it rather than just remember shit some old lady put on the board and then foget it.

Hmmm... maybe you can learn some spelling sometime while you're at University as well????

:thumbsup:

maximus
10-27-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by accordboi_02

Hmmm... maybe you can learn some spelling sometime while you're at University as well????

:thumbsup:

ooooooo two spelling mistakes in all my posts. Maybe thats because I don't look at the keyboard when I type and use two fingers.

:rolleyes:

BimmerGirl
10-30-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
holden > tracey??

man is bidoluck that bad??? im gonna have him for 355 in winter!!

Good luck with DSB. :) Is he still in UC?? :rofl:
I guess he hadn't changed a bit since I was in 355 A LONG TIME AGO!! :) YEah, most ppl flunked his class of course. When I took 355, 100 out of 160 ppl got C- and BELOW (final). And they had to open a 2nd 355 class in the 2nd semester (at my time, 355 was only offered once a year!) About 60 of us had to retake 355. One month into the 2nd semester while we re-took 355, the CPSC department decided to do something about the 355 results from DSB's class ... and some of us who got D+ in DSB's class finally got a C- and so we didn't have to retake it!! You see how bad that was??? If you could have Walpole teaching you 355, go for it .. altho he's always off topic.. but at least his exams aren't as hard...... (Ie, If he's still there...!)

BebeAphrodite
10-31-2003, 07:16 PM
Its not challanging...it dosn't make you think. In the real world you arn't given a booklet when you're hired and told to just memorize everything and throughout we'll just ask you to tell us exactly what it says. You need to APPLY this stuff especially in economics. When you are forced to apply the stuff then you really learn it.

Don't get me wrong, its an easy A. Its perfect if you want to breeze through.

Actually what Tracey teaches is done so throughly that if you don't remember it after the class your memory must be pretty bad... he gives you a really good base that you can apply to all fields on economics... one of my degrees is an economics degree and his class is usually the only class that i have problems getting into.

Ben
10-31-2003, 09:08 PM
Ms Werner-King - Bishop Grandin - 1998 English 10 AP

This was the epitome of terrible teaching.

First of all she had the most outlandish wardrobe ever, for example:

White Blouse, Red Suede Skirt, Purple Suede Jacket and Purple shoes.

She also fancied herself with a purple cape if she didn't have the jacket.

Messed up. She also had shoulder length blonde hair that was boldly yet disastrously attempted to turn it into "Big Hair" like in the 80's :rolleyes:

Her style of writing? Horrific.

She would critique someone based on her impression and not taking into account what someone else interpreted (how the fuck did she know what Shakespeare felt, did he come to her in a dream while she was in a far away land with little fairytale frogs with little hats living in teapot houses. I THINK NOT!

She would go on and on about how there was symbolism in stories based on the most far fetched assumptions. Eat a dick. " "Willy Listened" In this quote, the author was alluding to the fact that Willy dies later on in the story, and the listening can be compared to being still, or being deceased. " Fuck off, there were HUNDREDS of far more worthy excerpts from that story than picking some vague and made up assimilation just to seem intelligent. I would prove her wrong to the class on numerous occasions.

She would proceed to build on "archetypes" and how we don’t live in a true archetype because of all the diversity in the world, and that the only way to achieve the "Golden Age" was to kill the human race off and start over. "We haven’t advanced from the iron age yet because our lives as humans are futile and raw, perhaps through great valor we will advance." Well that’s cool and all, if you're in an asylum, but if you live your life awaiting when the next archetype will transform as if completing another level of Tetris (which I played contently at the back of the class) then you, my lady, have some serious issues.

She also wrote poems about Karla Homolka, and claimed she was innocent. For days I would tolerate the most obtuse cases of poor writing and disgusting claims of respect for Karla that I would leave the class.

As a joke a buddy of mine and I and the Valedictorian to be shared responses to a book we read (Of Mice and Men) and worded them a bit different as to make it sound unique yet they all meant entirely the same thing.

She gave both my buddy and I F's and the Girl an E, she later approached the teacher who which openly admitted it and yet refused to change our grades saying that "we didn't conform to her classroom expectations" Since when the fuck did conforming have ANYTHING to do with arts and literature. Creativity is what builds great artists. Fool. I passed that class with a 70, the minimum to stay in the AP program. I spited her with vicious attacks on her mode of transport.

She left the department later on.

I later went on to ace my English 30AP exam, both parts A and B...so it goes to show she knew nothing.

nismodrifter
10-31-2003, 09:40 PM
english ap was the ghey course....but good thing I had a GREAT teacher for it

He was real easy....flexible on due dates (ie...basically hand in assignments during a like 2 week time frame...)

Basically write about whatever topic you wanted to after reading a book.....

I didn't end up taking the AP exam since I knew I wouldn't get a 4 on it but taking that course was worth it since it was so easy. He didn't even give us a single test in grade 12 (I had him for all 3 years). He just made our assignments worth a little more so as long as you did good on assignments then you were fine..

also...he was the only english ap teacher so ALL kids who wanted to take english ap had to take it with him during 2nd semester...which meant a class size of 43 kids. He split it up so you only had to come to class like 3 days of the week. He split us up into 2 groups and then we came in on alternating days except for fridays

I absolutely hate english since I am not a very "enthusiastic" person about writing about books and stuff....I bsed my way through that whole course and got great marks.

nismodrifter
11-03-2003, 11:39 AM
shit....had our midterm in math today......probably the hardest test I have ever done in my life :(

I really wish I would have switched out in the first week....I compared our midterm to other teacher's midterms and bates' were by far the most challenging out of all of them (other teachers had simple ones with like questions from the text book and stuff..)

shiat shiat shiat

anyone know if the final exam for this class (math 251) are common (ie..everybody does the same test) or does each teacher make their own final exam...

Weapon_R
11-03-2003, 01:06 PM
lol math 251 raped me up the ass so hard too :(

Thank god its done with!

thich
11-03-2003, 02:45 PM
i almost got raped in 251 b/c i had a dumb prof. good thing i took Math 31

nismodrifter
11-03-2003, 03:44 PM
I took math31.....it's not helping in Bate's class :(

Seriously....I looked at other classes practise midterms and they are a JOKE!!!!

I want to get this class over with and hopefully just get a C- so I can continue on. If I don't get a C- then I can't get into biologican sci and am SCREWED

WhiteNikes
11-04-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by BimmerGirl

I guess he hadn't changed a bit since I was in 355 A LONG TIME AGO!! :) YEah, most ppl flunked his class of course. When I took 355, 100 out of 160 ppl got C- and BELOW (final). And they had to open a 2nd 355 class in the 2nd semester (at my time, 355 was only offered once a year!) About 60 of us had to retake 355. One month into the 2nd semester while we re-took 355, the CPSC department decided to do something about the 355 results from DSB's class ... and some of us who got D+ in DSB's class finally got a C- and so we didn't have to retake it!! You see how bad that was??? If you could have Walpole teaching you 355, go for it .. altho he's always off topic.. but at least his exams aren't as hard...... (Ie, If he's still there...!)

Yup, both of them still teach at the U of C. They've been switching things up quite a bit lately, but if you do have DSB (Don S. Bidulock) for any of you're classes it would be wise to switch. When I took the class he didn't assign homework so people had to come to his crazy hard tests. Of course, because there was no assinged homework many people did not do well. On the up side of things he does curve grades now. The highest grade receives 4.3 and the rest go down from there. Wapole is definitely the instructor you want over BSD.

BTW I have a good opinion of him... I used to laugh at him cussing us all. There are much worse opinions of that guy.

speedracer
11-20-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by BimmerGirl

heh DSB wasn't so bad. Evil but not bad. So the overall gpa was 0.4 when I took it... lol

self modifying code - very cool and efficent but pure evil for exams.

DSB heckles you and you can heckle him back. As for the assigment - very close to being impossible and only worth 5%... lol (Hey, he was evil)

"You write a program and then some user fucks it up"

DSB is so far the only prof I know that will tell you exactly what is on the test... though it doesn't help - hahahaha

Honestly, it's one of those you look back and say it wasn't so bad... Or maybe I'm just sadistic :rofl:

Wapole exams is a writing contest :D

WhiteNikes
11-20-2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by speedracer
Wapole exams is a writing contest :D
:werd: When I was writing my last question on one of his finals... I just stopped.

"That's it, I ain't writin' no more"

it's like an essay test in a CPSC course.

lude_conduct
11-20-2003, 09:52 PM
nismodrifter- what's your TA's name? I know a few of them...

By far the worst prof I had was Jonathan Schaer for Math 221, I just remember hearing people cry during that final.

Zvengrowski isn't that good either, he's a nice guy but if you actually have to know the course of something later on (say like knowing MATH 349 for Math 353) then your fucked.

Oh, and to those who bitch about proofs in math, that what math is, it isn't about mindless computations.

nismodrifter
11-20-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by lude_conduct
nismodrifter- what's your TA's name? I know a few of them...

his first name is Blair..don't know his last name...

lude_conduct
11-20-2003, 11:13 PM
hmm...my buddy is one of the TA's for another tutorial, his name is Dale Block, he's pretty good at explaining things, his tutorial is at 8:00am on Fridays, I'm sure he wouldn't mind you coming to it if it isn't full or anything.

nismodrifter
11-27-2003, 10:34 PM
yet again....came to my math lab today at 9:00 am.....TA doesn't show up

30 of us wait there for like 1/2 hour......he still doesn't show, so we left

This really is pissing me off. I have no idea what i got on the last quiz, and now have nothing to practise for next weeks quiz.....

I swear I am going to kill this guy, his being late and missing our Labs is screwing me over:guns: :guns:

accordboi_02
11-28-2003, 03:26 AM
yet again....came to my math lab today at 9:00 am.....TA doesn't show up

30 of us wait there for like 1/2 hour......he still doesn't show, so we left

This really is pissing me off. I have no idea what i got on the last quiz, and now have nothing to practise for next weeks quiz.....

I swear I am going to kill this guy, his being late and missing our Labs is screwing me over:guns: :guns:

Report your TA to the prof, and if that doesn't help, report him to the faculty... they're getting paid for TAing you know, so if they don't show up, they shouldn't be getting paid.
If he's screwing you over, screw him over by:

a) making a grad student lose a fairly reliable source of income, and
b) making this grad student look bad in the faculty's eyes.

His supervising prof will look down on him, as will the comittee that is supposed to review his thesis at the end of his Master's/PhD... I can guarantee you he'll never miss another tutorial/lab again!!!

KLCC
11-28-2003, 03:58 AM
while we are on the topic of the worst prof.....

I guess I will nominate Dr.Smith from coms 363, this year!!!!! :thumbsdow

as some one here said "agent smith of the machine queen"1

1. someone, beyond forum board discussion, November 28, 2003
<APA format????>

:banghead: :banghead:

lude_conduct
11-30-2003, 10:59 PM
I think I saw the guy (who TA's Math 251) whose been missing the tutorials. If he's the guy, he's a grade A loser. He was bitching about how he almost got fired on Friday...what a homo.

nismodrifter
12-01-2003, 12:58 AM
white guy who looks like he just woke up all the time???

Gainsbarre
12-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Well I am a student at the U of C, so this is going to be a LONG list

Elzbieta Slawinski
Took PSYC 205 from her in Winter 2002. Will never ever take another PSYC course again. Couldn't understand a damn thing she said. Would frequently shout "SEX!" about ever 10 minutes in a desperate attempt to get our attention. Her exam questions were full of errors.

Deborah Oliveros-Braniff
Apparently she has a PhD in mathematics. Made the mistake of taking MATH 249 from her in Spring 2003. Did nothing but example straight out of the book/teacher's manual on the board. She couldn't even do that right...she made at least 1-2 errors in ever single example, which we were quick to point out. Wrote on the board backwards once..I think she actually made more sence that way.

Lavinia Moldovan
Took ECON 315 from her in Summer 2003. A nice lady, but just a horrible teacher. Unbearable lectures full of complex proofs calculus, despite the fact that the course has no math prereq.

Barry Cooper
Had POLI 201 with him in Fall 2001. Just stood at the front of the room and dumped his ultra-right wing views on us. Classes seemed more like a fachist rally than a political science lecture. The reason I changed my major to finance/economics.

Anita Lakra
The worst of the worst. Took ACCT 317 from her in winter 2003. Shouted at students who asked questions. Exams were full of errors. For example, the balance sheet wouldn't balance. Is it too much to ask for somebody to actualy proofread examinations before they're given to hundreds of students? Blew up at me in her office and called me 'dim', even though I was 1 of only 2 people to get a A in her class.

I've had many other lousy professors, but none noteworthy enough for me to post about here.

AquamosH
12-08-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

Elzbieta Slawinski
Took PSYC 205 from her in Winter 2002. Will never ever take another PSYC course again. Couldn't understand a damn thing she said. Would frequently shout &quot;SEX!&quot; about ever 10 minutes in a desperate attempt to get our attention. Her exam questions were full of errors.

Haha, I just finished Psyc 369 with her. Spent half the class trying to decode was she was saying. I think she'd actually be an alrite prof if not for her accent.

She told us recently that this was going to be her last year teaching 369. Maybe it applies to the other courses she profs as well? :dunno:

Shaolin
12-08-2003, 01:08 AM
I don't understand why universities will hire teachers who can't speak fluent english or at least be able to have regular joes understand what they're saying.

Maybe they're short for teachers, maybe the standard isn't very high, hell, whatever the hell it is, it should be looked into.. You pay this much money for school, get a mark that decides whether you get into a faculty, and you can't even understand wtf the teacher's saying.. hell, why don't they just hire a fucking alien with those big brains and teach? would make no god dam difference, and at least the alien would look cool..

I think i talked about this already, but my Math 251 TA had to get the students to hand out the assignments because he couldn't pronounce our names.

yes, i'm stressed, i got a final tomorrow and I have 35 pages of 10 point font notes to read... sad thing is, I made the notes myself out of the 120 pages that was presented by the prof.

:guns: :guns: :guns:

accordboi_02
12-08-2003, 02:55 AM
I don't understand why universities will hire teachers who can't speak fluent english or at least be able to have regular joes understand what they're saying.

Maybe they're short for teachers, maybe the standard isn't very high, hell, whatever the hell it is, it should be looked into..

They don't hire them to teach, they hire them to research... the more "big" name people that work at a Univ = the more money, grants, and prestige a Univ. receives.

If a Univ. has to choose b/t a good teacher prof, or some genius in a particular field from India, Japan, Germany, wherever - they'll pick the genius, regardless of their grasp on the English language or their capabilities of teaching students.

Consider yourself lucky if you manage to get profs who are both respected as researchers and can also teach... unfortunately it's a sad reality.

Shaolin
12-08-2003, 08:26 AM
I know about profs being there for research, but it baffles me that every single one of them is here for research.. I can't see that as reality. Everything else I agree with, but I really don't think someone like Ingleson is here for research.. but I could be wrong.

DeSi
12-08-2003, 10:17 AM
J Schaer - Math 271

I can't understand a thing that guy is saying, had him for math 221.

accordboi_02
12-08-2003, 12:54 PM
I know about profs being there for research, but it baffles me that every single one of them is here for research.. I can't see that as reality. Everything else I agree with, but I really don't think someone like Ingleson is here for research.. but I could be wrong.

I have no idea who you're referring to... I'm two years removed from my degree already.

If you're referring to Alan Ingleson in Mgmt; you're right, he's not there to research... honestly, I don't know how Mgmt does it, as Mgmt has nothing at all to do with Academia... no offense intended, just that all Mgmt seems to be about is making money.

I know there are tons of Mgmt students on this forum: any of you know how it is that Mgmt goes about hiring it's instructors? DO they just hire experts from out in the field? Is there even such a think as a PhD in Mgmt? I dont think there is....
:dunno:

maximus
12-08-2003, 03:50 PM
I don't think all profs are doing research here. In the econ department there are seasonal profs. And I think some are just instructors like Tracey.

Maybe this is what McLeans is trying to capture with their low rating of the UofC.