PDA

View Full Version : Undersea Cables: 1901-2008

dr_jared88
02-09-2009, 03:52 PM
I thought this article was pretty neat:

Cables are what make all of our connections possible; everything from your internet to you TV is possible thanks to cables that span the globe.

Cable lines, or in those days, phone lines were the hottest technology. Below is a map from 1901 of undersea cables that connected the world to each other. With these cables the world was finally able to communicate to each other quickly and was no longer dependent on mail.

Moving forward to 2008 and nearly everyone in the world depends on undersea cable. Everything from your favorite website to that spam mail you received from a rich king in Nigeria who wants to give you his fortune are dependent on these undersea cables.

There is no doubt that as we move forward in the future that we will require more cables to be put on the sea floor. Imagine what the next 100 years will bring for undersea cables, or perhaps a new technology will rid our need for them completely.

http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/1901EasternTelegraph.jpg

http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/Cable_Map_big.gif

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/02/09/undersea-cables-1901-vs-2008

Eleanor
02-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Wow, you can really see the increase from NA to Asia compared to 1901.

Gotta get those Japanese game shows here somehow :rofl:

dr_jared88
02-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Wow, you can really see the increase from NA to Asia compared to 1901.

Gotta get those Japanese game shows here somehow :rofl:

Instantly made me picture this game in my mind hahaha

fpg3xM-niVw

Schwa
02-10-2009, 01:54 AM
What's cool is that in 1901 northern canada was still "british possessions", arabia and persia were around. And a lot of coastlines were barely mapped, and just show up smooth!

psycoticclown
02-10-2009, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by dr_jared88

Instantly made me picture this game in my mind hahaha

fpg3xM-niVw

Holy shit! This is the funniest one yet! And I've seen every one of em, 24 hour tag, speaking english, human tetris and this one actually made me tear up.

Thanks for this one haha, made my night.

eglove
02-10-2009, 02:24 AM
i can't even read those maps.... they are so tiny even when enlarged

Grogador
02-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by eglove
i can't even read those maps.... they are so tiny even when enlarged

Do a bit of searching and you'll see that the company who makes them sells posters of them... so yeah...

n1zm0
02-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by psycoticclown

Holy shit! This is the funniest one yet! And I've seen every one of em, 24 hour tag, speaking english, human tetris and this one actually made me tear up.

Thanks for this one haha, made my night.

there are english subs for almost all the gaki no tsukai batsu (punishment) games now, even Haado geiii 'whooo' episodes lol, we actually miss out on all the small tidbits.

i'd like to see the 2008 map in full detail, all the crap on the bottom and the top.

semograd
02-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Silent Library:

LdgdBOTUSqg

GQBalla
02-10-2009, 05:05 PM
was that black guy singing in japanese?

ahaha silent library is always the greatest