PDA

View Full Version : Storage Facilities

JWL
02-09-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm looking for a self-storage facility does anyone have any recommendations or had any experience with Sentinel Self-Storage?

Thanks!

Black Gts
02-09-2009, 06:16 PM
I used public Storage for awhile. It was around 75 a month.. I should have donated my stuff and bought new stuff and I would have been miles ahead, My stuff wasn`t worth what I ended up paying in fees. What are you storing and for how long.. You might be better off saving money.

StupidWade
02-09-2009, 08:55 PM
We use the Sentinel in the NW by Royal Oak. It's expensive (I think $230/month for a 10x12 unit or so) but you can get in 24/7 and it's always really clean and not sketchy at all. It's very secure, too.

I don't know about the other Sentinels though.

kamakurakid
02-09-2009, 09:35 PM
I worked in the industry here for a couple of months. Call around, many will have a deal on the first month. I think I saw a advert yesterday for Public Storage in the SE, the first month is free, if you need the space for only a month you can paperwork it for free.

How long do you need the space for?

Heated or unheated?

Are you storing a car or motorcycle?

What are you storing? In general.

Pay up front, be ahead of the rent.

Leave your CC number, very secure about charges, etc. Nothing to worry about. Saves having to come in each month for a payment.

Buy the best lock you can get, PS sells great ones for $22. There are cameras everywhere anyway but you never know.

On the whole, form what I saw, most of the stuff that went to auction was really garbage. As stated above, better to sell it all off and start fresh when you get back...if it is for a year or more.

Please take all your personal items, photos, etc and send them to your mom or someone you trust. I really hated having to throw all that stuff in the garbage when a renter was three months over due. It is not right for a child to have all the stuff from their childhood tossed cause mom and dad had financial issues. I had to toss report cards, family photos from generations back, toys, stuffed bears, etc. Christ what kind of parent lets things slip this badly? We called and called the numbers left by the renters, never able to get them to come around and collect the goods.

One the plus side I know the managers at Public Storage will mail the personal items to someone or they can pick it up. Moral issues, nice to see some practice it. They do not have to do this by law, really a personal choice on the companies part.

I can vouch for Public Storage, the locations are all good, well other than the Centre Ave location, not the best clients there. A tough crowd in general. Some yards have live on location managers, security is tight.

The Harvest Hills location is really nice, very high tech really. The previous owner, maybe a couple of years ago poured a ton of cash into the place. PS bought it and has been sitting on a half empty complex. Real deals to be found there.

JWL
02-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks for your help! I'll definitely check out PS in Harvest Hills.

Supa Dexta
02-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Try and find a garage. I have one for 100$ a month, keep one of my cars and all my stuff in there right now. I dont even have an apartment now, I just stay in hotels.. :rofl: