PDA

View Full Version : teaching kid to skate

Gorilla
02-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Anyone teach thier kid to skate? At what age? Where did you buy skates from?

Kritafo
02-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Are kids have been skating since they were 2, we started with hockey skates I think we got them at a sport swap sale, they were very little. We opted to the use hockey skates for the better ankle support and to avoid the toe pick, with our daughter We also used one of the skating supports cause you will kill your back holding hands and holding them up.

So to get your child use to the skates put them on in the house use a floor mat just so they can learn to stand on them.

Don't expect much, they will shuffle around for what seems like years. lol. Just make sure you take them all the time, and have fun.

We always went down to bowness on the pond and some of the local arena's.

n1zm0
02-10-2009, 09:01 AM
i was skating since i was 6 or 7, i remember using a small chair to hold onto first, first time was at sikome lake.

Euro838
02-10-2009, 09:55 AM
I'd suggest going to places with rough or bad ice. If you start them out on good ice, the will only fall. They need to know how to catch that edge and balance first. Even with a chair or something to hold onto, good ice is just too smooth for beginners.

interlude
02-10-2009, 09:57 AM
What about those double bladed skate things you can get? I think those are better to train them to stand on ice, move a little. and then move on to the hockey skates.

Kritafo
02-10-2009, 10:35 PM
those are bob skates the skates with two blades..people on freecycle are always asking and always giving away.

JAYMEZ
02-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Just going through this right now.. Got skates for a 3 year old boy from play it again sports. Got one of those skate assists too ($35) ... Everything seems to be going great , just make sure you buy a new helmet , i wouldnt trust a used one!

Kritafo
02-11-2009, 12:08 AM
thanks I couldn't remember what the skate assist was called!

Yes please always make sure you are buying new helmets. Never ever buy those second hand.

Doh
02-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
those are bob skates the skates with two blades..people on freecycle are always asking and always giving away. Bob Skates and a wooden chair, I was taught at age 3 and my kids were taught the same way at age 4.

Masked Bandit
02-13-2009, 09:30 AM
You can buy the bob skates at Canadian Tire. They just strap onto winter boots. We also bought the expandable skates for our daughter so that we can use them for a couple years and then use them again with the boy in a couple years.