PDA

View Full Version : skilled beyond member list

Kloubek
02-09-2009, 11:21 PM
All the time on here I see:

"I need a welding job done".
"I need basement work".
"I need web design".

There is a thread somewhere where the users discuss what they do for a living. But I think there should be a "registry" of sorts, where people on Beyond can pull up an alphabetically-sorted list of trades and services which other Beyond members can provide for them, along with say... a contact email. Maybe a spot for a phone number - should one wish to provide it.

Only some of the Beyond members are swimming in money - and I think we should do what we can to help ensure the "small fish" such as myself get these side jobs when available.

aych
02-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Sure. Its a good idea where we can utilize our "beyond" resources to "beyond" what we normally can =)

I'm a student....

I do graphics design, photo editing.
I run events, anything A/V related I will do.
I also do home theater installations
General consulting on purchases, bargains etc

Minor things I do....
Hardware repair (plumbing, cabinets, drywall etc) I do not do full renos tho.

And any other odd jobs that you just need done fast.

Kloubek
02-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Right. But this was a suggestion for an actual LIST... not a thread, as nobody will likely scan through a whole thread to check. :)

ExtremeSi
02-10-2009, 12:04 AM
I think this is a great idea! I know there are a lot of skilled people on beyond that would love to get there name out there. A list would be a greeat resource. :thumbsup:

LongCity
02-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Would they all need to be sponsors though?

l/l/rX
02-10-2009, 12:16 AM
this is a great idea...but then that defeats the whole purpose of the paid sponsors.

soo what individuals get FREE advertising while the bigger companies have to pay for theres? Okay so the paid sponsors get banners n what not, and the individuals get a thread, but its kind of a double standard innit?

not to bash the idea...but from a business stand point this idea has to be refined somehow.

max_boost
02-10-2009, 12:24 AM
^^

As long as it doesn't conflict with any current sponsors then it's alright.

Kloubek
02-10-2009, 12:44 AM
I agree about the sponsors. Heck - it can be another place to ADVERTISE the sponsors, since the users cannot put their own services in those categories.

Something like this:

http://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/demo.jpg

Of course, the list should probably include a bit more, and the categories should be grouped together... but you guys get the idea.

As long as the list does not overlap anything the sponsors are offering, I think this list would be a HUGE benefit to our users.

Tik-Tok
02-10-2009, 12:59 AM
If anyone needs any backyard mechanics done on their Boeing 727, or 757, I'm your man!

rumeo
02-10-2009, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I agree about the sponsors. Heck - it can be another place to ADVERTISE the sponsors, since the users cannot put their own services in those categories.

Something like this:

http://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/demo.jpg

Of course, the list should probably include a bit more, and the categories should be grouped together... but you guys get the idea.

As long as the list does not overlap anything the sponsors are offering, I think this list would be a HUGE benefit to our users.

LOL at the "another sponsor"

great idea though, i'd be up for this

inline6turbo
02-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Terrible idea

buh_buh
02-10-2009, 09:31 AM
beyond hookups?

Wildcat
02-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Chances are you're going to get a dozen users offering free breast massages.

QuasarCav
02-10-2009, 09:34 AM
All that I'm getting out of this thread is that Kloubek can do web design.

project240
02-10-2009, 10:03 AM
I think it's also a good idea. I am a carpenter/woodworker, would be good to have a list.

Personally, I would rather search and find a beyond member (in good standing) that may be able to help out with whatever problem I am having rather than choosing randomly from the yellow pages.

sneek
02-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I am a student, but I do a lot of car detailing in my free time :)

adam c
02-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
All that I'm getting out of this thread is that Kloubek can do web design.

+1 and he seems jealous that there are other people who can do it and get the agreement instead of him

D'z Nutz
02-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Nope, don't see it happening. Leaves too much of an opening for people who run businesses to get a free ride without paying for sponsorship. While I do get the idea of people helping each other out, it only takes a couple shady cheapskates to ruin it.

LongCity
02-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Or maybe a reduced fee for individuals?

Kloubek
02-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by adam c

+1 and he seems jealous that there are other people who can do it and get the agreement instead of him

Woah! Jealous? Where in there do I put DOWN anyone else who is capable of the same? Do you guys really think anyone is going to look at this mock listing and get me business in the "suggestions" thread? Hell - I misspelled something in my line without fixing it, because it's not a serious listing! Did you happen to notice the other entries of "breast augmentation", etc? (Or did you seriously think there is someone on here who does that on the side?) Did you perhaps expect me to research what services other people could provide before making a bloody mockup? Get real.

It's for demonstration purposes. Get over it and spend your time doing something constructive as opposed to acting like a douche and claiming things that have no merit.

-----------------------------------------

The one thing that IS becoming apparent is that the paid sponsors don't seem to want this... even if it doesn't compete with them. I guess it takes some of the "value added" out of being a paid sponsor in the first place if they can just advertise for free on this list instead.

I really viewed the list as a resource for our users to get discounted "private" work, as opposed to an actual venue of advertising for the service providers.

What I did not really consider is that current paid sponsors would view such a list as a slap in the face, considering they are paying for advertising. I also didn't consider the complexity of ensuring the list is maintained, as well as does not conflict with the paid sponsors in any way.

Ie: Someone wants to detail cars. Maybe a company like speedtech will do this too, as a little-known aspect to their business. Hence, a conflict that would cause issues if nobody catches it first.

Ok... scrap the idea. I guess we'll just create new threads any time we require something.

Still... I'm "jealous" because I put my name in a mockup? That claim blindsided me. Geesh.

adam c
02-10-2009, 10:57 AM
no it's the way you wrote it, you want to sound like you're the best

and you seem to be jealous due to the WTB: Website threads coming up but someone else getting the agreement, I know I even beat you out on one

Kloubek
02-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Ahh... that makes more sense now. You wanted to put down your "competition". Noted.

No, you did not "beat me out". I could not do what he wanted. My programmer (required for e-commerce) is not available for a month, so I told him I could not take the job. Though I WILL say that it was that particular thread that gave me this idea.

Glad to hear you got the job though.

Trust me... I put little thought into what I wrote. Hence, the spelling mistake as proof. Don't read into everything dude.

Wildcat
02-10-2009, 11:02 AM

I thought Kloubek was a chick?

adam c
02-10-2009, 11:04 AM
No, i can't program e-commerce either

and no i'm not putting you down, you just need to re-read what you wrote and think about how you're coming across

Kritafo is a chick

Kloubek
02-10-2009, 11:27 AM
No, i can't program e-commerce either

and no i'm not putting you down, you just need to re-read what you wrote and think about how you're coming across

Dude..... it was meant to be a light-hearted mockup. Nothing more. Come on: "Hot shit designer"? Do you really think that can be considered a "serious" statement intended to garner business? If you wish to read more into it, that's your issue... not mine.

And no, I am not a chick Wildcat. lol. That's a first - I must say....

Super_Geo
02-10-2009, 11:35 AM
I can love you long time. Offer stands.

Come on, I want to see it on the list..

Super_Geo: ... will love you long time.

Wildcat
02-10-2009, 11:43 AM
And no, I am not a chick Wildcat. lol. That's a first - I must say....

Sorry, it was the Canucks sig that threw me off :poosie:

adam c
02-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat

zing!

Kloubek
02-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat

hahaha.... You wait Wildcat... we're making a comeback into the standings!

TDFTW
02-10-2009, 06:52 PM
lol.......everybody and their dog makes websites pal.

Kloubek
02-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by TDFTW
lol.......everybody and their dog makes websites pal.

Thanks tips. That's why I only do work on the side.

badatusrnames
02-10-2009, 07:24 PM

hahaha.... You wait Wildcat... we're making a comeback into the standings!

Really, they have nowhere to go but up...

But yeah, nice idea in theory for a site with no paid sponsors. But I can't see it working here.

soupey
02-10-2009, 10:27 PM
why not just add a box to the profile menu for "occupation".

errr...wait...

haha