PDA

View Full Version : Networking noob - What is the best wireless LAN setup?

ExtraSlow
02-10-2009, 10:29 AM
My current home setup is Shaw internet, running to a wired and wireless router. The home computer is connected by wire, and the wifes laptop is wireless.
Looking to take the whole thing wireless, what is the best setup? I assume I'll need something from this page for my desktop.
Memoryexpress.com - Wireless desktop adapters (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/Computers(ME)/ComputerComponents(ME)/NetworkCards(ME)/DesktopNetworkCards(ME)/DesktopWirelessNetwork(ME)/Default.aspx)
What's the deal with G, N and all that stuff? is one actually better, faster, or more reliable?

Willing to buy a new router if it'll be a significant upgrade.

adam c
02-10-2009, 10:34 AM
802.11g is the industry standard right now
802.11n is the next step, fast speeds and more reliable

there are also wireless routers that have 802.11g/n capabilities, of course you will need a G or N card to work with the wireless

For your desktop, you will need a wireless card, but i would recommend you stay with a wired connection to the desktop or laptop, you get better transfer speeds through a DC than a wireless one

nissanK
02-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by adam c

there are also wireless routers that have 802.11g/n capabilities, of course you will need a G or N card to work with the wireless

Be sure to double check the laptop wireless card. As mentioned before^^ You may have to get a new wire less card.

I would suggest wireless N if you got the money. I had a Wireless G network before and it was about 54mb/sec. Now I'm on Wireless N - 300mb/sec.

This is what I have and it works great:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX15586(ME).aspx

eblend
02-10-2009, 12:19 PM
most stuff is N these days, but almost everything i have seen is multimode...so N can run b and g as well as N all at the same time. And like others mentioned, stick with wires when possible, must more reliable. If i didn't have a laptop i wouldn't even bother with wireless at all

ExtraSlow
02-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Yeah, the reason we are looking at wireless for the desktop is that we want to move the computer out of the room with the cable jack, and it would be a hassle to instal one in the room we are planning on using.

Good responses guys!

eblend
02-10-2009, 01:28 PM
For kicks and giggles I would get the USB stick wireless adapter. just so that you can use it in any computer, not just a laptop, and they cost about the same

Alterac
02-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Spiretech is offering a discount to beyond members if you get them to come put cable drops in your house.

ExtraSlow
02-10-2009, 02:25 PM
like this?
D-Link RangeBooster N USB Adapter (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX21568(ME).aspx)

davechoi1973
02-12-2009, 03:43 AM
+1 for N

rp_guy
02-12-2009, 04:58 AM
personally.. i've stuck with G for 5+ years now and it's doing fine. i don't transfer large amounts to my laptops and when i do i can just use a USB key or an external hard drive which would be faster anyway.

if you have any older devices (G, heaven forbid B) when you're running an N network, the network won't run at N speeds anyway. G is going to be many times faster than your internet so that is a moot point.

if you want something cheap now that will work fine, go with G (her laptop might not even have an N card in it). most stuff is still N draft which means there is a possibility it will not work with N final, but when G final came out, most G draft devices still worked fine. one reason i would switch to an N router is because most of the decent routers have a wired gigabit switch built in (but you would need gigabit adapters and such).

you can find G stuff dirt cheap now (i've seen router/usb adapter bundles for $20 new).. and comparable N stuff is still in the $80-$100 range for just the router.

but when the time comes to upgrade, N routers will be cheaper and you can use your G router as a switch (assuming you're not needing gigabit by then).

Grogador
02-12-2009, 07:06 AM
+8 wired

(tilt your head sideways. that's plus infinity.)

DarkDream
02-14-2009, 12:42 PM
If you are going to get a USB wireless adapter don't cheap out.... Getting a cheap adapter will just cause your connection to continuously drop.

copynpaste
02-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by rp_guy
personally.. i've stuck with G for 5+ years now and it's doing fine. i don't transfer large amounts to my laptops and when i do i can just use a USB key or an external hard drive which would be faster anyway.

if you have any older devices (G, heaven forbid B) when you're running an N network, the network won't run at N speeds anyway. G is going to be many times faster than your internet so that is a moot point.

if you want something cheap now that will work fine, go with G (her laptop might not even have an N card in it). most stuff is still N draft which means there is a possibility it will not work with N final, but when G final came out, most G draft devices still worked fine. one reason i would switch to an N router is because most of the decent routers have a wired gigabit switch built in (but you would need gigabit adapters and such).

you can find G stuff dirt cheap now (i've seen router/usb adapter bundles for $20 new).. and comparable N stuff is still in the $80-$100 range for just the router.

but when the time comes to upgrade, N routers will be cheaper and you can use your G router as a switch (assuming you're not needing gigabit by then).

Agreed. Ill upgrade to N sometime down the road but not willing to fork out all the money for a new router and adaptors for all 3 laptops in my house. :thumbsdow Just not worth it IMO, ill wait for the prices to drop or when I get my new laptops im sure they will have built in N cards.

But I have a Q, say you run a wireless N router, can you run N and G devices off it simultaneously? So say 2 of my laptops I keep using the G connection.

ExtraSlow
02-17-2009, 08:16 AM
I have no doubts that wired is better, but I'm in the process of staging my house, and the room that I want the computer in has no cable, so wireless will have to work.
ran out and bought this: D-Link RangeBooster N Notebook Adapter (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX14363(ME).aspx)
It just plugs into the USB port, and so far I've had zero issues.

It's a cheap and simple solution, and I think that's what I needed here.
Thanks for everyone's help.

Originally posted by copynpaste
But I have a Q, say you run a wireless N router, can you run N and G devices off it simultaneously? So say 2 of my laptops I keep using the G connection.
I asked the guy at Memory Express that same question, and he said that pretty much all devices that are N are also backwards compatible to G.

The network adapter I bought is N, but it works fine with my G router.