PDA

View Full Version : DE/Track Day options

Euro_Trash
02-10-2009, 10:59 AM
I am just curious what everyone would choose or reccomend for the best track car for someone to learn on. It would be bought aimed for DE's and track days, but would still be used to run around on weekends and stuff. The car would be bought on a budget, with the goal of learning (road racing, auto-x, general driving, etc) on something cheaper while saving money for something a little more fun. I don't mind buying something that needs some work, and would love to do a motor swap.

Personally I am leaning towards something RWD (then AWD, then FWD)... E30 possibly? Datsun (if I can find one)?

J@Tuner
02-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Your E30 = perfect car, cheap to fix if an issues, cheap to maintain the second vehicle in the family, light, fun.

Old Datsun 240z would be awesome! But E30 would be cheaper.

Mr_ET
02-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Your best bet is to find something that will be cheap on tires, lightweight, reliable and easy on brakes.

For strarters people usually recommend

88-91 crx si
88-00 civic
older miata with the 1.6l
E30 BWM that has been well cared for.

Usually a FWD plateform will not give you the level of performance an AWD or RWD car would but it is great for learning, very forgiving and usually much cheaper.

Also consider that the more popular a plateform is, the cheaper parts for it will be and the more options you will have for your build.

I chose a 1997 civic coupe DX as my track project if that helps at all.

ShermanEF9
02-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
Your best bet is to find something that will be cheap on tires, lightweight, reliable and easy on brakes.

For strarters people usually recommend

88-91 crx si
88-00 civic
older miata with the 1.6l
E30 BWM that has been well cared for.

Usually a FWD plateform will not give you the level of performance an AWD or RWD car would but it is great for learning, very forgiving and usually much cheaper.

Also consider that the more popular a plateform is, the cheaper parts for it will be and the more options you will have for your build.

I chose a 1997 civic coupe DX as my track project if that helps at all.

I agree on the honda. yes its FWD, but with basic mods (even tokico blues on some coils) they handle like go karts. i have a 90 civic si and she rips for what it is.