PDA

View Full Version : Best restaurant for salmon?

Khalil.e
02-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Have a good friend coming from out of town, and we plan on going out for dinner over the weekend.

I know she absolutely loves salmon - can you recommend any fine dining restaurants with great salmon?

Cheers! :D

A790
02-10-2009, 12:23 PM
I don't want to toot my own horn here, but I hit up my restaurant all the time for the Sake Poached Salmon because it's fucking delicious. I get it almost every time I eat there.

Super_Geo
02-10-2009, 12:24 PM
River Cafe
Catch

colsankey
02-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Catch is pretty well recommened for seafood in general and fits your fine dinning requirement. Litte pricy, but good stuff.

nonlinear
02-10-2009, 12:36 PM
i don't think catch serves salmon (at least i don't remember ever seeing it)... unless they do it as a special

i doubt river cafe has it regularly, either.

salmon is a low-grade fish (not that there's anything wrong with that, but i just think the more upscale kitchens play with more upscale fishes)

EDIT: both menus are online, salmon isn't on either menu right now (maybe they have wild salmon when it's in season, though). you don't want the farmed shit anyhow

dannie
02-10-2009, 02:29 PM
The Ranche in Fish Creek Park has a superb salmon

http://www.crmr.com/theranche/pdf/The-Ranche-Dinner-Menu.pdf

DiVino has a good Salmon

Escobas Salmon is awesome too.

If you are wanting to earn brownie points with this girl, go to the Ranche.

nonlinear
02-10-2009, 04:58 PM
dannie, what kind of restaurant is The Ranche? i mean, do you have to be dressed formally or can you go in jeans and haven't shaved in a couple of days haha. do they have a lounge?

Wildcat
02-10-2009, 05:05 PM
I can swear by The Ranche as being the finest meal I've ever had in this city. However I didn't try the salmon but I'm sure it'll impress her. Be prepared to open your wallet up wide, The Ranche is world class, dare i say beyond the tastes of 89coupe. :poosie:

dannie
02-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
dannie, what kind of restaurant is The Ranche? i mean, do you have to be dressed formally or can you go in jeans and haven't shaved in a couple of days haha. do they have a lounge?

Not much of a lounge at all. Its like Teatros, but rustic. I have gone in nice jeans and a nice shirt, and I have also gone dressed up. No hats though iirc.

Its awesome. Super romantic. If you go on a not so chilly evening, after dinner you can go for a stroll through fish creek. Its a great date type place. And its out in an area that you would not expect it to be.

nonlinear
02-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
Be prepared to open your wallet up wide, The Ranche is world class, dare i say beyond the tastes of 89coupe. :poosie:

those prices aren't bad at all! especially if the food is good (there are restaurants e.g. Halo that have these same prices but the food is on par with moxies and earls)

Originally posted by dannie

Not much of a lounge at all. Its like Teatros, but rustic. I have gone in nice jeans and a nice shirt, and I have also gone dressed up. No hats though iirc.

Its awesome. Super romantic. If you go on a not so chilly evening, after dinner you can go for a stroll through fish creek. Its a great date type place. And its out in an area that you would not expect it to be.

cool, will have to check it out! was just asking about the atmosphere, cause i love good food and drinks and am absolutely willing to spend money on good stuff, but I'm pretty casual and HATE walking into places where the host looks at me like my money is worth less than some corporate monkey in a suit hahah

i don't mind dressing well if that's the code, but it's just nice to know first so you don't feel like a jackoff

Kritafo
02-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Yes the Ranche is an awesome - awesome! restaurant. The elk is unbelievable. Actually all of CRMR restaurants are good, the ranche just a wonderful setting.

dannie
02-10-2009, 06:26 PM
The Ranche isnt one of those places. Its so very accomodating, relaxed, yet upscale. You will enjoy it.

I believe they are also offering a tasting menu now too.

I had a business meeting there once and called ahead to book a tasting menu. The Chef personally called me back, asked about allergies and how much I wanted to spend per person. It was one of the most amazing meals I have ever had