PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have an AMEX?

Redlyne_mr2
02-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Just wondering who here has an American express? Do you use it and is it worth it? I'm thinking about getting one and I've heard that they have a great aeroplan points system but I'm wondering if more and more places have begun to accept Amex. thanks

adam c
02-10-2009, 08:00 PM
i use one for work
most places take it now, but it's still hit and miss

Redlyne_mr2
02-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by adam c
i use one for work
most places take it now, but it's still hit and miss
Is there really any benefit to it from a Visa or MC?

GiangZilla
02-10-2009, 08:02 PM
I use it the most and love it. I have a visa and mc but I use my amex as much as possible.

adam c
02-10-2009, 08:04 PM
well mines a company card, so i dunno if there are any benefits to it or not

only downfall is when i need to use it for purchases, some places won't take it

edit. i think one of the benefits is for international purchases, ie the states, it's a lot easier to transact then with a cdn visa or mc

rizfarmer
02-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Costco exclusively accepts Amex... it is used more widely in the states obviously. But if it is you main card then I would stick to Visa. It is fine as a second card in Canada.

Jlude
02-10-2009, 08:10 PM
I had one but got rid of it... I didn't use it enough to accumulate points and when I tried to use it often, I would hit places that didn't accept it.

Keep an eye out to see if it's accepted at places you frequent.

Xtrema
02-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Other than Costco, all places that accepts AMEX will accpet MC and VISA. But not vice versa.

AMEX charges more so most shops that accept it are of the high margin type.

AMEX is even more useless outside of North America.

I have a AMEX Airmiles. 1 airmile for every $20 on the card. But I found PCMC rebate is better. You can use the card @ more places = more rebates. And you don't really need to save up, just buy grocery with it anyway and have $20-$100 off a month.

My AMEX airmile is now only used @ Shell gas stations because 1 swipe instead of 2 (CC + Airmiles card).

Godfuader
02-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I have a US AMEX, and absolutely love it....but in Canada, I heard they are quite limited to where you can use them.

Weapon_R
02-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader
I have a US AMEX, and absolutely love it....but in Canada, I heard they are quite limited to where you can use them.

lol what do you 'absolutely love' about it? Visa and MC are 100x better than AMEX anywhere in the world.

psycoticclown
02-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Other than Costco, all places that accepts AMEX will accpet MC and VISA. But not vice versa.

AMEX charges more so most shops that accept it are of the high margin type.

AMEX is even more useless outside of North America.

I have a AMEX Airmiles. 1 airmile for every $20 on the card. But I found PCMC rebate is better. You can use the card @ more places = more rebates. And you don't really need to save up, just buy grocery with it anyway and have $20-$100 off a month.

My AMEX airmile is now only used @ Shell gas stations because 1 swipe instead of 2 (CC + Airmiles card).

:werd:

PCMC is the best, free groceries ftmfw.

PC Financial's personal banking is pretty good too, during last year, my special savings account had a base interest rate of 4% and if you been with them for longer, you get more interest so i was getting something like 4.15% or higher IIRC on a fucking savings account. :hijack:

rc2002
02-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I had 2 AMEX's and had a hard time using them. This was probably 8 years ago, but it doesn't seem like things have changed. If anything, I've seen some places (especially Chinese restaurants) that used to take AMEX not take it anymore.

I got rid of them and never looked back. I rather like the dividend cards now - it's nice to get a few hundred bucks in cash back at the end of the year.

Pacman
02-10-2009, 09:33 PM
I used to have an AMEX company card and hated it. Some places don't accept it, and if you are dealing with privately owned places (restaurants in general) they dislike taking them over MC or Visa due to the higher service fees.

Ajay
02-10-2009, 09:42 PM
I have an AMEX, MC, and Visa.

I never use the MC and I've used my AMEX on a handful of occasions. The reason being is I didn't know what my PIN was for my VISA card and decided to charge it to the AMEX instead. Otherwise I strictly use my Visa for credit card purchases.

It's nothing special really. I haven't run into an issue with using it as most places I've used it at accept any of the major cards. Mine is a charge card so it has to be paid in full every month which is different than a normal credit card that's revolving.

If you're looking for a rewards card the Avion from RBC and the Visa from TD are probably two of the best. I have the Aventura from CIBC and I have no complaints.

broken_legs
02-10-2009, 09:48 PM
AMEX has the best *free* airmiles program and is the only card accepted at Costco.

Other than that why would you want a card that 2/4 businesses dont accept?

TYMSMNY
02-10-2009, 10:14 PM
I mainly use my AMEX for purchases and I find most places that I shop take it. For the occasional places, my MC comes in handy. I just like to amalgamate my purchases all on a card that gives me the best return (points or cash) + card benefits.

Chinese places barely accept CCs let alone a AMEX. "Cash(ew) ony"

roopi
02-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Only reason I have one is to use at Costco. Other than that you can get better rewards with a Visa/MC and everyone takes them.

Godfuader
02-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

lol what do you 'absolutely love' about it? Visa and MC are 100x better than AMEX anywhere in the world.

Points that actually add up really fast. 3x points at all gas stations every summer. I have managed to take 5 flights in the last 3 years. Even the Avion would not have been able to match it.

Superb flight insurance. $500 if my flight or baggage gets delayed. Have claimed $4,500 in the same period (No one likes to travel with me, because 4/5 flights I take have some sort of delay, lol)

Amazing customer service (wife's mom and sisters got delayed in Dubai last year, called cs and they got $1,500 shopping spree. Just send them an expense sheet and they had the credit in their account right away)

Accepted everywhere in the US.

AMEX Front of Line for shows.

AMEX Concierge

Access to AMEX Travel services (Booked a $2750 cruise last summer and recieved additional $2,250 in perks)

Rental insurance coverage (im sure most cards have that now)

Those are just what I have used, its the Platinum card so its got other benefits that I haven't had to use yet. Cost a couple hundred a year...but I more than recover that. :D

Neil4Speed
02-11-2009, 12:29 AM
I have a supplementary Platinum Aeroplan Amex - Its been good for me since as a charge card it really has been good at limiting my spending while still providing me the benefits of extended warranty, return policies, etc.

Also came in handy when I was in Mexico City airport for a long layover (horrible fucking airport, literally all duty free shops, no restaurants), and I got to use their air conditioned lounge with open bar/food (not really a big deal here, but in MC it was a real relief)

Also, the customer service you receive is good if you ever have account inquiries etc.

Neil4Speed
02-11-2009, 12:30 AM

Points that actually add up really fast. 3x points at all gas stations every summer. I have managed to take 5 flights in the last 3 years. Even the Avion would not have been able to match it.

Superb flight insurance. $500 if my flight or baggage gets delayed. Have claimed $4,500 in the same period (No one likes to travel with me, because 4/5 flights I take have some sort of delay, lol)

Amazing customer service (wife's mom and sisters got delayed in Dubai last year, called cs and they got $1,500 shopping spree. Just send them an expense sheet and they had the credit in their account right away)

AMEX Concierge

Access to AMEX Travel services (Booked a $2750 cruise last summer and recieved additional $2,250 in perks)

Those are just what I have used, its the Platinum card so its got other benefits that I haven't had to use yet. Cost a couple hundred a year...but I more than recover that. :D

Great post - I need to look more into this, do you have the normal Platinum Charge Card or the Aeroplan Platinum?

Also I think Front of the Line, Is a load of BS - I get better seats on the normal sale.

rumeo
02-11-2009, 01:57 AM
Have any of you heard of the Airmiles toolbar?

Basically install said toolbar (Airmiles/Yahoo)
For every 30 searches you do=1 airmile
maximum 30 airmiles a month

Amysicle
02-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by rumeo
Have any of you heard of the Airmiles toolbar?

Basically install said toolbar (Airmiles/Yahoo)
For every 30 searches you do=1 airmile
maximum 30 airmiles a month
Q. How many FREE reward miles do I earn on searches?
A. When the Toolbar is active you'll earn 5 FREE reward miles for every 50 valid searches you perform. Up to 30 FREE reward miles per month can be earned by performing 300 valid Toolbar searches powered by Yahoo! Search. https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/ToolbarInstall

So basically every 10 searches is 1 Airmile, not every 30 like rumeo said.

ZorroAMG
02-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

AMEX Concierge

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Godfuader
02-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Great post - I need to look more into this, do you have the normal Platinum Charge Card or the Aeroplan Platinum?

Also I think Front of the Line, Is a load of BS - I get better seats on the normal sale.
This is for my 'US' Amex (Not available in Canada)
I don't do concerts and such, but the Front of the Line has helped me get tix the morning of popular shows on Broadway and Radio City Music Hall, a couple hours ahead of box office. Alot of the benefits will never be fully utilized in Canada like the Concierge service.

Beerking
02-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I love my AMEX. I have VISA as well as a backup and my wife uses a 2nd VISA.

Originally I had the AMEX areoplan card, then I realized what a shitty program aeroplan was, even though I fly a lot and used AMEX it still cost you a shit load of miles to fly anywhere. The worst part is that the travel times are ridiculous for aeroplan. I wanted to fly to Cancun and my best choice was 85,000 miles, leaving at 6am, arriving at 9am the next day:nut: , Thanx.

So I switched to AMEX airmiles platinum ($50/yr) and get 1 airmile for every $10 at stores that accept airmiles, or 1 airmile for every$15 anywhere else. Adds up fast, since you are also getting airmiles with your normal airmiles card as well.

I rarely find places now that do not accept AMEX. So I am fine with it.