PDA

View Full Version : is this a scam?

forced_eg
02-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Im looking around for another s2000 and ive come across a couple ads which say in the description

"The cars title is still with capital one finance. Upon paying the finance off, I will give the keys to you and the title will be sent to you"

is this a scam of some sort? ive only checked out a handfull of ads on s2ki and cars.com and 2 of them had this similar story.

funkedelic2
02-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Uh well its saying that the car has a lien on it right now. I wouldn't get involved with that at all. I don't think you can obtain the title either unless that has all been payed off. Maybe the scam is to have YOU pay it off and then you don't get the car either.

Kloubek
02-11-2009, 12:24 AM
If you feel uneasy, then don't do it.

schocker
02-11-2009, 12:31 AM
I would not touch a US car with a lien, not worth the hassle.

A790
02-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Sounds scammy to me.

rumeo
02-11-2009, 12:38 AM
if you have the feeling its a scam then it likely is

SilverGS
02-11-2009, 12:49 AM
I bought a car from the states that still had money owing to Lexus Finance. I paid the owed amount straight to the company and not the seller and they sent the title directly to me.

I then went down there with title in hand and picked up the vehicle. Worked out for me but I did a lot of calling around and double checking to make sure everything was legit.

89s1
02-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
If you feel uneasy, then don't do it.

Originally posted by A790
Sounds scammy to me.
:werd:

ReflexFX
02-11-2009, 02:28 AM
scamm

forced_eg
02-11-2009, 10:02 AM
thanks alot guys, i guess i shouldnt gamble with my money just to save a couple thousand

kyo6919
02-11-2009, 10:36 AM
totaly scam

yanivbar
02-11-2009, 11:16 AM
The bank holds the title until its paid off, the guy isn't lying.

BlackArcher101
02-11-2009, 11:20 AM
WTF? It's not totally a scam based on the info in the first post. In fact, it sounds legit as this guy is telling the truth. However, the hassle may not be worth it... but if you have tons of free time, go for it. Travel down to look at the car and speak with Capital One.

Weapon_R
02-11-2009, 11:28 AM
It doesn't sound like a scam to me, but some states hold title for several weeks and you won't be able to cross without one.

You could end up having to pay for the car unseen and waiting til the title arrives or going down there, buying the car and waiting it out or flying back again to pick it up when the title arrives.

Generic
02-11-2009, 11:30 AM
scam

w_man
02-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Yea when I sold my BMW, there was money owing to BMW Financial. The best way to deal with this is to go to the dealership WITH the seller and talk to the finance guys. Write a cheque to BMW financial AND take the car with you!! If you have made the 'owing amount' to the bank/financial institute and you have done this infront of the owner, there's no reason why he shouldn't hand over the keys to you right then and there. BMW then sent the paperwork over to the new owner with no problems.

It's not necessarily a scam, you just have to make things clear to the seller and use common sense.

Eleanor
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
If you need to ask.......

clem24
02-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by w_man
Yea when I sold my BMW, there was money owing to BMW Financial. The best way to deal with this is to go to the dealership WITH the seller and talk to the finance guys. Write a cheque to BMW financial AND take the car with you!! If you have made the 'owing amount' to the bank/financial institute and you have done this infront of the owner, there's no reason why he shouldn't hand over the keys to you right then and there. BMW then sent the paperwork over to the new owner with no problems.

It's not necessarily a scam, you just have to make things clear to the seller and use common sense.

Well, the issue is that it takes time (as mentioned) to issue a new title. To bring the car over you need the title without lien faxed ahead of time to the border, which sounds impractical/impossible with your method.

Anyway, with our sinking dollar (or rather going back to what it's really worth), I didn't think there were actually still deals to be had. :dunno:

SilverGS
02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
It does take a couple weeks for payment to get there and then in turn for them to send you title. UNless you want to go down twice the risk would be to purchase the car without seeing it.

I had the guy bring it to he dealer for a full inspection and talked to the dealership myself to make sure everything was okay.