PDA

View Full Version : Less rushhour traffic lately?

2EFNFAST
02-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Has anybody else noticed that there seems to be much less rushhour traffic on the roads these days?

I suppose that's one good thing with all the layoffs - less morons to fight on the way home :clap:

bituerbo
02-12-2009, 12:29 AM
You can thank me for that. I started walkin' home from work.

adam c
02-12-2009, 08:56 AM
haven't really seen it

GQBalla
02-12-2009, 08:57 AM
i get to miss rush hour since im in work by 6:30 monday to friday and off at 3:30

QuasarCav
02-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Yes. The usual Anderson / Bow Bottom / Deerfoot shitshow is much better in the mornings. I haven't noticed a decrease on the way home though.

sputnik
02-12-2009, 09:30 AM
I have heard that less people are forking out the money for a parking pass and are switching to transit.

Anyone notice any heavier crowds on the buses or trains?

a social dsease
02-12-2009, 09:31 AM
It has seemed slightly better lately. Generally there are alot fewer vehicles on the road in winter, but traffic is still as bad or worse than summer because of ice/snow. However seeing as how the roads are prime + fewer vehicles = good traffic.

Swank
02-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
I have heard that less people are forking out the money for a parking pass and are switching to transit.

Anyone notice any heavier crowds on the buses or trains?

Nope, I think it's even a bit less packed. Once they start charging for parking at the lots I'm hoping it reduces it even more.

Jeremiah
02-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Been taking me half the time up the deerfoot in the mornings, I'm quite enjoying it

scat19
02-12-2009, 09:56 AM
In early and out early is the way to be.

If I could get to work in a decent time without my car, I would definately. However transit from NW to the airport is almost a 2 hour deal!

Tomaz
02-12-2009, 10:26 AM
QuasarCav
Yes. The usual Anderson / Bow Bottom / Deerfoot shitshow is much better in the mornings. I haven't noticed a decrease on the way home though.

Been noticing this too. I am really enjoying it seeing that I have been waking up a bit late this week. One thing i noticed was that ND Deerfoot to Anderson doesn't have the huge, slow lineup. At the same time, Anderson WB past McLeod is a bit worse IMO.

Originally posted by scat19
In early and out early is the way to be.

If I could get to work in a decent time without my car, I would definately. However transit from NW to the airport is almost a 2 hour deal!

I totally agree! I used to live in the NE working in the SE. It was complete bullshit to take 2 busses and 2 trains and a 20 minute walk making my daily commute 2-3 hours. Later that month I bought a car, 2 weeks later, I moved to the SW! Now that I live in the SW, it still takes me 1h45m to get to/from work (Usually a 15-20 min drive).

I am amazed by the amount of time it takes just to get around this city sometimes. Worst part is you have travel far to get what you need! Fuck transit! So happy I drive again!

/rant

supe
02-12-2009, 10:39 AM
I'll have to agree too, im on a small section of the deerfoot at prime time 8 am and 5pm and its clear and clear, at least a lot more clear then has been

leec001
02-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
Has anybody else noticed that there seems to be much less rushhour traffic on the roads these days?

I suppose that's one good thing with all the layoffs - less morons to fight on the way home :clap:

Yes, especially in Downtown area. Traffic is not as bad as before before 07:00 and after 16:00.

Scope951
02-12-2009, 11:07 AM
coming home from school on crowchild I have noticed it has most definitely toned down.

Most likely I will be ditching the parking pass and using transit :banghead:

em2ab
02-12-2009, 11:11 AM
I find it went down a lot on Memorial into downtown after work but peaks right up again when there's a game on. I can always tell if the Flames are playing by how long it takes me to get home.

projekz
02-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I've noticed that too. It cut down my commute by 10 minutes.

bigboom
02-12-2009, 12:09 PM
going in and out from the downtown core there is definitely a lot less traffic. i can leave during the peak of rush hour and be home 5-10 minutes earlier than before christmas.

Euro838
02-12-2009, 12:31 PM
I think it has more to do with the layoffs as traffic is very light in the NW and most trains often have empty seats.

In the evening, same thing, a few months ago, if you left work at 4:30-5:15 the trains would be packed and those at the last stations probably couldn't get on. Now there's barely anyone at the last downtown stations.

rc2002
02-12-2009, 12:44 PM
I agree. Way less traffic on the way to and from work lately. Even Crowchild Northbound lining up onto Bow Trail is easy. This might just be due to Teacher's Convention though.

I've noticed an increase in traffic on the weekends and later in the evenings though.

JfuckinC
02-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Everyone got laid off you idiots haha
No one is going to work!!

Lagerstatten.ca
02-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Ditto here for Memorial Drive going east towards Applewood. It's been really clear during the peak hours going home.

powerslave
02-12-2009, 01:47 PM
How is Glenmore during rush hour? I know there were always issues around 37th St SW. How about Glenmore at McLeod or Deerfoot?

I take Deerfoot each day to work and I too have noticed less traffic, but then again I work 7 to 3:30.

modded46
02-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Just my opinion but with tell tale signs like this.. You're going to see Unemployment numbers for Feb a LOT higher.. The reason that Jan still looked ok is that there is typically a seasonal adjustment done but we're you're talking about a citywide slowdown on traffic and people going to work.. Yah i'd say something is influencing that and it's not people taking the bus.

extm88
02-12-2009, 03:46 PM
I agree with all of you however anyone else think it might be because not everyone is leaving work at the normal time. Instead i would think alot of people are spending a little more time at work if its possible thus spreading traffic out throughout longer hours but less congestion.

VetteRacin
02-12-2009, 06:12 PM
There is alot less traffic on blackfoot at 7am as well, noticed that a couple days ago

bigboom
02-12-2009, 06:12 PM
I think its just less people driving and more people either taking public transit, walking/biking, or car pooling

Ukyo8
02-12-2009, 06:42 PM
deff noticed less traffic in the morning, train doesnt seem that busy either? :dunno:

kaput
02-12-2009, 07:18 PM

88CRX
02-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Was going to make this same thread.... McLeod Trail has been less busy the last week or two.

Dropped 15 minutes off the morning commute.

a social dsease
02-13-2009, 09:25 AM
wow even with the snow traffic was amazing today. often takes me 25-30 mins to get to the office, today, 17 minutes. And for some reason EVERYONE on deerfoot was driving in the 2 left lanes, I ripped all the way from glenmore to 16th in the right lane doing 115km/hr and flew by everyone. f*ing awesome :thumbsup:

scat19
02-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by a social dsease
I ripped all the way from glenmore to 16th in the right lane doing 115km/hr and flew by everyone.

Sounds safe with the slick roads and all

Masked Bandit
02-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I drive up Macleod to Canyon Meadows and over every morning for the past decade. There is definately less traffic (I'd say over the past six to eight weeks) than normal. I would say it's at the same volume as about five years ago.

QuasarCav
02-13-2009, 11:00 AM

I know! He probably was only running the angel eyes as well.

TorqueDog
02-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by modded46
Just my opinion but with tell tale signs like this.. You're going to see Unemployment numbers for Feb a LOT higher.. The reason that Jan still looked ok is that there is typically a seasonal adjustment done but we're you're talking about a citywide slowdown on traffic and people going to work.. Yah i'd say something is influencing that and it's not people taking the bus. Perhaps it's because you've shot all the commuters with your new guns.

Eleanor
02-13-2009, 12:23 PM
I know at my company they're not laying people off yet, but they are "strongly encouraging" people to take vacation/time off.

prae
02-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
I know at my company they're not laying people off yet, but they are "strongly encouraging" people to take vacation/time off.

dont they still get paid?

TorqueDog
02-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by prae
dont they still get paid? Depends. Some people get vacation pay paid out per cheque, some people accrue it and are paid it out when they opt to take vacation time.

Generally, if you receive vacation pay, you don't get paid holidays.

I'm salaried and I get 3 weeks of paid holidays yearly, so I don't receive any vacation pay; per cheque or accrued.

Eleanor
02-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by prae
dont they still get paid? Contract/Term

a social dsease
02-13-2009, 02:50 PM

deerfoot was almost completely bare.....

Kona9
02-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
I think its just less people driving and more people either taking public transit, walking/biking, or car pooling

I'm going to have to call you on that one. Do you realize how far some people need to commute to get to work?

Why the HELL would a huge sum of people randomly decide that walking or riding a bike in February is a better decision than driving like they used to? Especially (for the exception of the last 10 cent hike) when gas has been as low as it has in comparison to the summer spike.

MAYBE more people are taking transit than usual, but there are LOTS of people missing on the morning commutes all over the city. I used to live up the street from work and have added a commute to my daily routine by being placed in a sattelite office in the south. I have noticed a large decline in traffic in past weeks.

leec001
02-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

Are you trying to avoid the reality - lay-offs in recession by saying less people drive and more taking transit, walking/biking, or car pooling? :facepalm:

If people drive at pump for $1.29/L, why they are not driving at $0.87/L? Very interesting. Probably we have a better transit system all of a suddent.

Antonito
02-15-2009, 12:04 PM
I've noticed this out in Vancouver too, traffic never seemed to go back to full capacity after Christmas holidays. It took me until the middle of January to figure out that maybe people aren't still on vacation.

From the farthest jobsite I work at it was 1.5 to 2 hours to get home in October, now it's about an hour to an hour and a quarter.

max_boost
02-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by leec001

Are you trying to avoid the reality - lay-offs in recession by saying less people drive and more taking transit, walking/biking, or car pooling? :facepalm:

If people drive at pump for $1.29/L, why they are not driving at $0.87/L? Very interesting. Probably we have a better transit system all of a suddent. I was going to say, is it because of all the layoffs around the City? :drama:

Fusion
02-15-2009, 01:06 PM
I dont think so im a part driver im on street 8 hours a day. Deerfoot , Barlow, 32nd more and more still the same..

scat19
02-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

I know! He probably was only running the angel eyes as well.

Fogs too