PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Eggs Benedict

cooperS
02-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Just tried out the past weekend to make my own version of eggs Benedict. turns out to be very good and easy. so i would like to share it to all of you:

Ingredients:
XL or L size Eggs - omega brown eggs are more tasty
English muffins regular
Smoked Salmon
Back Bacon
white vinegar
butter
Hollandaise sauce mix - can be purchase at safeway

1. Split muffin in half, spread butter on english muffin and toast it
2. prepare the hollandaise sauce as instruction and set aside to use
3. boiled water & vinegar (around 1 tablespoon) in a pot
4. poach eggs til egg white foam up
5. put your choice of salmon or ham onto the english muffin
6. place poached egg on top
7. pour hollandaise sauce onto the egg

enjoy!

;)

core_upt
02-12-2009, 04:24 PM
or make your own hollandaise. A little trick, but it can be done.

Thicken an egg yolk by steaming it ina metal bowl over hot, not boiling water in a pot, once thick, but not cooked, remove from heat and slowly add in warm (not hot, not cold) clarified butter (do this very slowly to start), a touch of salt, a touch of lemon juice and some cayenne and mix slowly. It won't keep hot or cold. WAY better than the packaged stuff!

nonlinear
02-12-2009, 05:30 PM
another recipe but totally related

i have a really great way of making an excellent steak dinner at home - no more dining out at overpriced, pretentious restaurants!

1) buy a Stouffer's Salisbury Steak TV Dinner (they sell them at all the big grocery stores)
2) remove the tray from box and cut a slit over the steak and vegetables and mashed potatoes (but not the brownie)
3) microwave on high for 3 1/2 minutes
4) remove plate from microwave and remove plastic wrap (be careful not to burn yourself with escaping steam)
5) let sit 1 minute before serving.

enjoy!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dumbass17
02-12-2009, 08:52 PM
can someone please do a write up for a peanut butter and jam sandwich?
i've been trying for months to create a homemade one but i just keep fucking up

dj_rice
02-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
can someone please do a write up for a peanut butter and jam sandwich?
i've been trying for months to create a homemade one but i just keep fucking up

:rofl: :rofl:

n1zm0
02-12-2009, 09:09 PM
how so?^ i find the hardest part is the bread bag, sometimes i just get so frustrated i give up.

SScott
02-12-2009, 10:22 PM
I need more info on boiling the water.

How do i do it

2002civic
02-12-2009, 10:28 PM
How do I open the sauce mix? You forgot to add that part...

Dumbass17
02-13-2009, 12:34 AM
how can i tell what size my eggs are? :dunno:

szw
02-13-2009, 08:13 AM
homemade hollandaise is very easy to make

cooperS
02-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by 2002civic
How do I open the sauce mix? You forgot to add that part...

u open up ur package, add butter into the pot, then stir in the powder mix & water and keep stirring til it simmers. it should be in a thick form

cooperS
02-13-2009, 09:05 AM

the box of ur eggs would indicated it when u get it from the grocery store. thats why there are so many types you can choose from with different prices

2002civic
02-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by cooperS

u open up ur package, add butter into the pot, then stir in the powder mix & water and keep stirring til it simmers. it should be in a thick form
:facepalm: ;) :thumbsup: :rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The_Rural_Juror
02-13-2009, 10:03 AM

Ask your gyno.

Dumbass17
02-13-2009, 10:18 AM
cooperS = :facepalm:

cooperS
02-13-2009, 10:44 AM

:poosie:

nonlinear
02-13-2009, 11:21 AM

hey man be nice... and i've seen several instances where you've really lived up to your name :poosie:

plus, this thread is awesome

cooperS
02-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear

hey man be nice... and i've seen several instances where you've really lived up to your name :poosie:

plus, this thread is awesome

thanx nonlinear!

l/l/rX
02-16-2009, 02:33 PM
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v650/126/80/130600316/n130600316_30428922_9105.jpg

thats how my shit turned out...made the hollandaise sauce from scratch...i think i added a little too much butter though...will adjust for next time.

msommers
02-16-2009, 02:41 PM
I think you added enough pepper for everyone here!

szw
02-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Don't see hollandaise man...need more!

l/l/rX
02-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by msommers

oh dude i love PEPPER!!! everything i eat theres always a load of pepper on it. i cant get enough of it! LOL

msommers
02-16-2009, 02:58 PM
haha I can't blame ya, I love putting hot sauce on just about anything:D

l/l/rX
02-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by szw

my hollandaise ended up water-ish and not thick enough so i decided to take it easy on the sauce. It wasn't thick enough and it didnt really combine that great. Although it still did end up tasting like hollandaise sauce, just didn't really look the part.

Guys have any suggestions as to make it thicker and for it to actuall combine? Less butter next time??? More yolk???

nonlinear
02-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by szw

yea, i was gonna say that you need WAY MORE sauce...that shit should be dripping all over and making the muffin soggy LOL

cheap cafes usually skimp on the hollandaise, but at home you should never do that!!! :nut:

szw
02-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

Guys have any suggestions as to make it thicker and for it to actuall combine? Less butter next time??? More yolk???

I have no idea what affects what but I just followed this recipe and they turned out fine. Someone smarter can probably tell you exactly what to do differently though.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Basic-Hollandaise-Sauce-101868

GQBalla
02-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Lol ^^ if you knew us we both love pepper on our food.

Lookin good Jarett now u can make me eggs benedict

dj_rice
02-16-2009, 04:44 PM
When you were making your homemade hollandaise, were you doing it over a double boiler and was it cranked to high?And were you using a whisk?And did you have the proper muscle power

l/l/rX
02-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
When you were making your homemade hollandaise, were you doing it over a double boiler and was it cranked to high?And were you using a whisk?And did you have the proper muscle power

this is how i did it...i first put the yolk, salt and pepper, cayenne pepper into a bowl, whisked it.

put ~2oz of butter into the pan. While the butter was still in chunks i put the contents of the bowl into the pan, started to whisk whatever i could until the butter became melted. Whisk, whisk, whisk, the butter and the bowl contents didnt combine together, so i ~1tbs of water to it since it told me to do so.

Everything was done on a medium heat.

Whats a double boiler?

extm88
02-16-2009, 07:58 PM
made eggs benny this morning.
I like to melt a piece of cheddar cheese on the english muffin before putting the ham/bacon on.

nonlinear
02-16-2009, 10:58 PM
ask dj_rice, he's been through culinary skewl ;)

dj_rice
02-16-2009, 11:06 PM

this is how i did it...i first put the yolk, salt and pepper, cayenne pepper into a bowl, whisked it.

put ~2oz of butter into the pan. While the butter was still in chunks i put the contents of the bowl into the pan, started to whisk whatever i could until the butter became melted. Whisk, whisk, whisk, the butter and the bowl contents didnt combine together, so i ~1tbs of water to it since it told me to do so.

Everything was done on a medium heat.

Whats a double boiler?

Double boiler is, take a ceramic or metal bowl, and put that on top of a pot of boiling water underneath but you do not need to use a double boiler to do hollandaise...its just easier to do it since its not touching the direct source of heat thus causing scrambled eggs if your not quick enough

Did you just pour all the melted butter into the bowl of egg yolks or did you gradually incorporate it while whisking?And how many yolks did you use?And when you were whisking the egg yolks...were u heating them?Cause you need to heat the egg yolks while your whisking so they become thick and cooked

And yes adding a lil bit of water helps re-emulsify and save the hollandaise if it wasnt past the FUBAR point though, which is my guess as to why yours couldnt be saved

If the ingredients are emulsified improperly by over- or under-heating them they will separate, resulting in the sauce "breaking" from the emulsion and the yolks coagulating from excessive heat - Taken from Wikipedia as I was too lazy to explain

l/l/rX
02-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Double boiler is, take a ceramic or metal bowl, and put that on top of a pot of boiling water underneath but you do not need to use a double boiler to do hollandaise...its just easier to do it since its not touching the direct source of heat thus causing scrambled eggs if your not quick enough

Did you just pour all the melted butter into the bowl of egg yolks or did you gradually incorporate it while whisking?And how many yolks did you use?And when you were whisking the egg yolks...were u heating them?Cause you need to heat the egg yolks while your whisking so they become thick and cooked

And yes adding a lil bit of water helps re-emulsify and save the hollandaise if it wasnt past the FUBAR point though, which is my guess as to why yours couldnt be saved

If the ingredients are emulsified improperly by over- or under-heating them they will separate, resulting in the sauce "breaking" from the emulsion and the yolks coagulating from excessive heat - Taken from Wikipedia as I was too lazy to explain

Used 1 yolk, 2.25oz ( :barf: )of butter, pinch of salt and pepper, pinch of cayenne pepper. The recipe was for 4 people, so I downsized the ingredients for 1 person.

dj_rice
02-17-2009, 08:16 PM

Used 1 yolk, 2.25oz ( :barf: )of butter, pinch of salt and pepper, pinch of cayenne pepper. The recipe was for 4 people, so I downsized the ingredients for 1 person.

But did you heat up the yolk while whisking it?Also add a squeeze of lemon juice, it helps with the taste to add the kick and tartness to cut through the fat of butter

nich148_9
02-17-2009, 08:59 PM
If you're lazy, just toss a little xanthan gum in there. Thickens up just about anything.

dj_rice
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by nich148_9
If you're lazy, just toss a little xanthan gum in there. Thickens up just about anything.

Oooooooo now your getting all gastro on us :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DJ Lazy
02-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Never enough pepper!!:drool: