PDA

View Full Version : Creatine/Glutamine

A790
02-13-2009, 08:16 PM
So a friend got me some creatine and glutamine. I've done some research on them but am pretty divided on what to do here. I've cut down to pretty much where I want to be, though I may cut a bit more later on in the year. Should I bother taking the creatine/glutatmine?

Can someone who's used these explain what they do and how it made you feel? Thanks :)

Darkane
02-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Well.. Interesting question.

They won't hurt your progress at all, but personally I think your next supplement should be BCAA's. Start taking them DURING workout's.

You can buy powdered forms from trueprotein, and they are fairly expensive. TP's are the best bang for the buck however.

You sip 40G throughout the workout. Many claim it's the worst tasting shit ever, but I don't mind it. Meh.

Also on a high BCAA protocol while bulking (60G a day) Christian Thibadeau claims "drug" like gains of up to 10lbs on a person who hasn't previously done high dose BCAA. I can attest to a few pounds for sure and I was cutting even.

A790
02-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Well.. Interesting question.

They won't hurt your progress at all, but personally I think your next supplement should be BCAA's. Start taking them DURING workout's.

You can buy powdered forms from trueprotein, and they are fairly expensive. TP's are the best bang for the buck however.

You sip 40G throughout the workout. Many claim it's the worst tasting shit ever, but I don't mind it. Meh.

Also on a high BCAA protocol while bulking (60G a day) Christian Thibadeau claims "drug" like gains of up to 10lbs on a person who hasn't previously done high dose BCAA. I can attest to a few pounds for sure and I was cutting even.
Hmm, I've been reading about BCAA's based on your posts. However, I have the creatine/glutamine sitting on my desk right now. I was thinking of throwing the creatine into my pre-workout protein shake, and the glutamine before I hit the sack at night. I'm still going to cut for another two weeks or so and don't want to sabatoge that though...

EDIT: Not only that, but I have zero experience personally with either of the two. I know they aren't steroids or whatever, but I want to make sure they are appropriate for my goals (215 @ 10% by August).

Rocky
02-13-2009, 09:02 PM
I dunno how intense you are bout working out, or what your long term goals are, or what your current structure is right now. But honestly I think goals are achievable without junk like creatine. If you take it and stop working out you'll just look rounded and bloated. I think it's overhyped and not as necessary as people make it out to be.

Just 2 cents.

zipdoa
02-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Take it if you have it, but don't waste your money buying it. Glutamine is a good idea either way, it eliminates muscle soreness the next day for me. Allows you to make use of all that protein too =)

Darkane
02-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Glutamine is actually good for cutting. BUT it's good when cutting with low carbs.

During low carb phases glutamine can be converted to glycogen. With glutamine in your Post work out shake (30G+) it will work wonders, almost like carbs.

A790, I don't have personal experience with either. But I know of em and how their mechanisms work.

Those are two things I'm saving for later down the line.

kutt3r
02-14-2009, 01:24 PM
I use all three and see no reason why they would not help, especially seeing as you are on a 4 day.

glut & creat help with recovery
bcaa's for protection and recovery

I personally think they are the 3 best supps for a natty lifter, including caffine :)

If you are worried about water bulk dont be...

Dark has a point about the glut as well, but 5g fasted is very minor amount of glyco in your body for fasted workouts.

Darkane is a crazy mofo.. bcaa's taste like sh!t... if you want some I have an open container you can have to try A790. (TP's instantized bcaa's are tolerable.. other brands I have had are horrid...)

5g glut before & after workout
Creatine.. do you have mono or ester.. I do not load, just a couple times a day every day, usually before/after a work out.
10g bcca's dosing varries... I take less than Dark, but I am way smaller than he is too...

Redlined_8000
02-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Ya unflavored BCAA's are one of the worst things Ive ever tasted.... TP's BCAA Boost is much better :)

buh_buh
02-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Glutamine PWO, pre-cardio, pre-bedtime.
I've always read that glutamine doesn't really do anything, but its made a pretty big difference for me. I'd recommend it.

Jlude
02-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Glutamine PWO, pre-cardio, pre-bedtime.
I've always read that glutamine doesn't really do anything, but its made a pretty big difference for me. I'd recommend it.

Same here.

When I was training.. I'd mix my creatine and glutamine into a shaker cup, toss in some water and start drinking at as I began my workout...by the time I was done my workout, I'd drank the mix and maybe another bottle of water.

It helped me out a lot. I saw great results with it.

Nasty shit though....

Impreza
02-14-2009, 03:10 PM
For BCAA's, yes, they taste like shit. You kinda get used to it, I'm taking Scivation Xtend now in the apple flavour. First time, I hated it, but I guess I don't mind it so much now, a bit sour and sweet for my liking though.

A790
02-14-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm going to start taking the creatine pre-workout tomorrow, glutamine post workout. I'm not going to creatine load or anything like that, but I am certainly interested in seeing the differences (if any) that I experience.

YamahaV8
02-14-2009, 04:22 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine

bigbadboss101
02-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
For BCAA's, yes, they taste like shit. You kinda get used to it, I'm taking Scivation Xtend now in the apple flavour. First time, I hated it, but I guess I don't mind it so much now, a bit sour and sweet for my liking though.

Regarding Xtend, when you first mix it it's a bit clumpy and has a bit of a medicine taste. Let it sit for a few minutes and it's a lot better. I have tried watermelon, pretty good. Right now have Lemon and I like it.

kutt3r
02-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by A790
I'm going to start taking the creatine pre-workout tomorrow, glutamine post workout. I'm not going to creatine load or anything like that, but I am certainly interested in seeing the differences (if any) that I experience.

Make sure you are using enough of both to see anything...
Typically if you are not working hard enough you will not notice a difference. Your typically going to want to use creatine twice a day, dosage depending on what you are using. (follow the directions)

A790
02-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't know if it's the creatine I'm feeling, or maybe just brain power, but I definitely was able to push myself harder yesterday at the gym with my workout. In fact, after I had done my "regular" workout, I did another set of military presses because I could. Normally my muscles are maxed at the end of my workout, but yesterday I had energy to spare.

I'm sore as all hell today though, but man, did it ever feel good at the gym. Now I'm genuinely interested in seeing if 30 days of creatine will really be the difference some people are saying it will.

3g4u
02-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Make sure you drink lots of water. Lots and lots.

A790
02-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by 3g4u
Make sure you drink lots of water. Lots and lots.
Yessir. 15 glasses or so a day right now.

will_e_chill
02-20-2009, 05:19 PM
I did creatine and glutamine for about 2 months a couple years ago.

Supplements definitely allow you to push yourself harder because you recover much faster.

But I think there are side effects to ingesting large amounts of nutrients that your body is not used to.

After I quit cold turkey I had abdonminal pains for a couple weeks. I think it may have caused kidney or liver damage because your system isnt used to processing nutrients in that amount.

I would not take supplements again. I think they are unnecessary and over priced.

I still work out and as long as you eat a healthy diet and push yourself in the gym you will see gains.

my 2 cents.

A790
02-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by will_e_chill
I did creatine and glutamine for about 2 months a couple years ago.

Supplements definitely allow you to push yourself harder because you recover much faster.

But I think there are side effects to ingesting large amounts of nutrients that your body is not used to.

After I quit cold turkey I had abdonminal pains for a couple weeks. I think it may have caused kidney or liver damage because your system isnt used to processing nutrients in that amount.

I would not take supplements again. I think they are unnecessary and over priced.

I still work out and as long as you eat a healthy diet and push yourself in the gym you will see gains.

my 2 cents.
Well... I have mixed feelings about this one.

Numerous studies have been done that show the lack of side effects from creatine, so I'm not worried. However, I think it affects everyone a little bit differently.

Hakkola
02-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by A790

Well... I have mixed feelings about this one.

Numerous studies have been done that show the lack of side effects from creatine, so I'm not worried. However, I think it affects everyone a little bit differently.

Haha, I would get squirts after drinking creatine every once in awhile, otherwise I was fine.

Darkane
02-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Haha, I would get squirts after drinking creatine every once in awhile, otherwise I was fine.

Yep, common side.

Cause: high amount (usually up to 3% heavy metals) of toxins in the creatine.

You want a high grade mono, or ethyl ONLY made in Canada, USA, or Germany.

Chinese creatine has lots of filler. With filler comes digestive issues.

Try Trueprotein's or Biotests. Poliquin swears by Biotests Micronized German Creatine. Poliquin knows his shit boy.

zipdoa
02-20-2009, 05:53 PM
The only thing I didn't like about creatine was that if I took it on an empty stomach, I would puke fucking HARD after I worked out. Like were talking every single thing that was in your stomach hard. If I had eaten prior, I was fine, but empty stomach is a no-no.

Another thing is that you have to be religious about working out/taking the supplement. You'll notice if you take a day off the creatine that you're smaller.

anhsicun
02-20-2009, 11:09 PM
hope to hear from u after 30 days im debating if i should use creatine too. i started working out 8 months ago, started at 145 pounds now at 165 but still not happy with my results.

A790
02-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Initial feedback is relatively positive- gained about 3lbs last week in what I imagine is water weight. I've noticed that the energy is there, but it's definitely not something that I'd say is totally earth shattering.

I doubt I'll continue to use it after this container runs out.

r1_boii
03-04-2009, 03:53 PM
first time ive started working out i used creatine and protein as a boost to build a base. i've started seeing results, went from 125 to 145.

after i started getting more into my workouts and learning more about weight lifting and realized creatine is not an essential when it comes to your diet plan. I quit the creatine and shed about 10 lbs of water weight, felt like crap everytime i stepped into the gym but after a few weeks i began seeing results again. i upped my lifting strength, changed my dieting plan, my workout routine and also my stack.

now im just keeping it to protein and good o'l glutamine. honestly its all about your diet. keep it simple, 6-8 meals a day, pre and post workout and never ever workout on an empty stomach. if you feel the erg to eat, eat something lean. dont eat sugars, cut that out of your diet because it takes up unecessary space.

creatine is good but when it comes down to it like everyone said, its overpriced and you honestly dont need it.

i went from 145 currently at 170, trying to reach 185 by the end of spring and trying to maintain this weight and ramping up my cardio and trying for cross fit 4-5 days a week.

remember its MIND over MATTER. go hard or go home

semograd
03-04-2009, 05:25 PM
ZmA is good shit to