PDA

View Full Version : Review: Il Sogno

pinoyhero
02-14-2009, 08:52 AM
High End Italian in Bridgeland

Food 10/10 - The food here is on par with the best I've tasted in the world. The chef is not overly fusiony yet he is very create with traditional dishes. This is not Iron Chef Calgary but it is cutting edge culinary.

Service 9/10 - Depends on who you get but the service is top notch regardelss. I gave a 9 here only because I was spoiled the first time I went with what was probably the best service I've ever had. Last night was very good just not as good as the 10 I had experienced the prior visit. It is clear the the staff at this establishment are trained in more than just how to set up a table. Their timing is perfect and you feel fully waited on without feeling hounded and constantly interrupted. Most importantly for a place of this calibre, the staff are unassuming about younger couples such as me and my wife, vs. a table of 2 suits and 2 gowns.

Ambinace 9/10 - Being a bit picky here but the music was a touch loud. They has a jaz band there for Valentines day and we were situtated rather close to them. Made convo a touch difficult at times. Other than that the tables are well space and neatly prepped, the owner is always on the floor and very pleasant. Like the service they strike a perfect balance, this time its between feelin alone and intimate along with knowing there's a full staff making sure everything goes right.

Value - 10/10 - This is not a place to go to to get full or pound a 18oz. steak yet the total package left me and my wife more than fulfilled. To start we had duck salads, shared a small seafood pasta as a mid course, had a duo and trio of beef and lamb for the main and creme brulee and apple tart for desert. All of the food was outstanding. We also went non-alcoholic (baby coming) so went with a bottle of SanP, that was accompanied with pear and peach juices. Pre-dinner there was complimentary bread with ricotta cheese and a bean puree. After dinner they brought a glass of sparkling white and Orangina. All in $195 pre-tip.

This is my favorite restaurant anywhere.

max_boost
02-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Reservations or walk in? Good review. I've been wanting to try it for years.

89coupe
02-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Food 9/10 -
Service 9/10 -
Ambiance 9/10 -
Value - 9/10

Hey I was there on Valentines day as well (actually Friday, but still was a valentines day theme). What time were you there? My reso's were at 6pm.

My score isn't quite as high as yours.

I took my GF and little one there, we ordered the 4 course tasting menu.

I was a little surprised when they told me that their tasting menu's were not listed.

They had a very nice wine selection but when I went to order my favorite bottle of wine which they happened to have on their list, they came back 5 minutes later and told me they were out of stock. This is a no no in the restaurant world.

Overall the service was decent but not up to par with other high end restaurants I have been to.

The food was very good, but again the plating wasn't on par with other high end restaurants I have been to. The main course was two types of beef, filet mignon & braised beef. My filet was over cooked, my GF's and little ones were done just right, still very good.

The live band was a nice touch.

The prices were very reasonable for the quality of food. The 4 course tasting menu was only $85/person. The wine menu was also very reasonably priced, it was only marked up 100% which is not very common for a restaurant.

Total bill before tip was only $375.00 (3 people)

I'll agree this is the nicest restaurant I have been to in Calgary so far.

pinoyhero
02-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Reservations or walk in? Good review. I've been wanting to try it for years.

Yeah best to get resi's. Its a long fancy dinner, something to plan for sure. Go and let us know what you think. Kinda hyped now, might get the "expecting 11, got 9 and was disappointed" syndrome.

pinoyhero
02-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Food 9/10 -
Service 9/10 -
Ambiance 9/10 -
Value - 9/10

Hey I was there on Valentines day as well (actually Friday, but still was a valentines day theme). What time were you there? My reso's were at 6pm.

My score isn't quite as high as yours.

I took my GF and little one there, we ordered the 4 course tasting menu.

I was a little surprised when they told me that their tasting menu's were not listed.

They had a very nice wine selection but when I went to order my favorite bottle of wine which they happened to have on their list, they came back 5 minutes later and told me they were out of stock. This is a no no in the restaurant world.

Overall the service was decent but not up to par with other high end restaurants I have been to.

The food was very good, but again the plating wasn't on par with other high end restaurants I have been to. The main course was two types of beef, filet mignon & braised beef. My filet was over cooked, my GF's and little ones were done just right, still very good.

The live band was a nice touch.

The prices were very reasonable for the quality of food. The 4 course tasting menu was only $85/person. The wine menu was also very reasonably priced, it was only marked up 100% which is not very common for a restaurant.

Total bill before tip was only $375.00 (3 people)

I'll agree this is the nicest restaurant I have been to in Calgary so far.

Haha, I think I may have been seated next to you. Sorry to sound race driven but were you the white dude with the azn girl and the younger azn (her sis)?

89coupe
02-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

Haha, I think I may have been seated next to you. Sorry to sound race driven but were you the white dude with the azn girl and the younger azn (her sis)?

Yes, that was my GF and her daughter. ;)

A|pine
02-19-2009, 01:20 AM
I'm sure the food is quite good, but the head chef who brought Il Sogno to its recognition has left in 2006? to work in a different Italian restaurant.

Chef Giuseppe Di Gennaro - he is now at Capo.

89coupe
02-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by A|pine
I'm sure the food is quite good, but the head chef who brought Il Sogno to its recognition has left in 2006? to work in a different Italian restaurant.

Chef Giuseppe Di Gennaro - he is now at Capo.

I went to Capo last year for Valentines day and I have to say Il Sogno was much better.

pinoyhero
02-25-2009, 05:39 PM
^ Agreed, I've done Capo as well, very good same class establishment for sure but not Il Sogno.