PDA

View Full Version : Summer Employment MET

Andyrude
02-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Hey

I'm currently finishing my first year of a diploma program concerning Mechanical Engineering Technologies and have been searching around for some sort of summer employment to acquire some experience in the field and hopefully set up a job for when I finish my program in 2010.

Due to the economic situation how many summer employees are companies going to hire? It's an obvious place for companies to save some money, but I've heard in the past that companies have been somewhat liberal in hiring summer employees.

Anyone have any tips in searching for jobs in the engineering field?
Anyone know of anyone hiring!?

Feedback will be appreciated.

Rudy

rinny
02-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Start with SAIT job board.

Move on to any company that you are interested in working for and apply directly to their HR, regardless of ads posted or not.

Simply just start with the obvious and look at it as no different than finding any other type of job.

megafandrew
02-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by rinny
Start with SAIT job board.

Move on to any company that you are interested in working for and apply directly to their HR, regardless of ads posted or not.

Simply just start with the obvious and look at it as no different than finding any other type of job.

Yes the SAIT job board is an excellent source for summer/or students looking for work. I actually hooked up a machinist apprentice job threw that board a couple years back so keep an eye out. Yes there is a slow down in the economy so don't take it hard if you have a hard time finding a job, by the time your done in 2010 hopefully we will be in recovery. Calgary seems to be doing ok right now anyways, remember it is a slow time of year right now for alot of work anyways, summer may bring different things!

Xtrema
02-17-2009, 01:15 AM
Big companies (Shell, Imperial, etc) usually still have their co-op programs going and are usually less affected by the downturn. But you being in a diploma program may be in a disadvantage for these jobs. They usually like university students.

Andyrude
02-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback!!