PDA

View Full Version : Accident payout question

T0Y0TA
02-14-2009, 08:06 PM
I was recently involved in an accident that was not my fault. A guy rear ended me...

Anyway, my vehicle was deemed written off by the insurance, so I basically had to take the payout they were giving me. Is it normal for my insurance company to give me the payout? I though it would be the other guy's insurance company that would be paying me?

psycoticclown
02-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Don't quote me on this, but I think they pay you and then get the other company to pay them back. That's what happened when my car got hit, my insurance company pays for everything first and than goes after the other company.

Zewind
02-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by T0Y0TA
I was recently involved in an accident that was not my fault. A guy rear ended me...

Anyway, my vehicle was deemed written off by the insurance, so I basically had to take the payout they were giving me. Is it normal for my insurance company to give me the payout? I though it would be the other guy's insurance company that would be paying me?

It is normal. Your insurance company will go after the other guy insurance policy. Its call subrogating (sp?)

Masked Bandit
02-15-2009, 12:08 PM
^^^ This.

Your company will pay you out now because it's faster. Then if it takes them two weeks to get the money from the other guy, so what.

Tik-Tok
02-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by T0Y0TA
so I basically had to take the payout they were giving me.

I hope you haggled for a higher price. You can do that.

When my car got written off, they "offered" me $1800. I looked up what a replacement car of the same year/specs/mileage was, and haggled up to $2500.