PDA

View Full Version : AEM Engine Management vs. Hondata?

CK4500
02-15-2009, 01:49 PM
I was sold on the Hondata system until I came across the AEM unit. AEM is ALOT more $$, but it's a stand alone unit. With my Hondata, I would have to fart around with the install on my OBDI ECU.

Anyone have an opinion on this? Which is better?

GiangZilla
02-15-2009, 01:57 PM
From all my research I would say the AEM but apparently from my understanding is that they are both stand alones. If you want an opinion from the tuning side I would PM toma.

CK4500
02-15-2009, 01:57 PM
I forgot to mention that I can get one of the AEM systems for $850. The Hondata is almost the same price. Normally, the AEM system is about $1500 ish?:dunno:

CK4500
02-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by GiangZilla
From all my research I would say the AEM but apparently from my understanding is that they are both stand alones. If you want an opinion from the tuning side I would PM toma.

Well they are both stand alone, but the Hondata has to be installed into the ECU.

The AEM is a self contained unit which replaces the ECU... No?

(I could be wrong)

GiangZilla
02-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Me personally I am running the AEM and love it but that's my opinion!

GiangZilla
02-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Yes it does replace the OEM ecu but on the tuning side of things, they are apparently both stand alones!

Primer_Drift
02-15-2009, 02:53 PM
AEM > Hondata.. it is infinitely more tuneable, but with that comes a need for a greater understanding of the tuning software. If you know Hondata inside out, you'll know about 20% of what AEM can do and generally that would be enough to get you by.

Toma
02-15-2009, 02:55 PM
They will most likely both do what you need. They both have data logging.

The Hondata is not really a standalone, as you are using the factory computer and altering the factor software, however, it almost acts like one with all the parameters it offers for adjustment.

I guess depends on your goals, personally the only thing I dislike about Hondata is the company itself... bunch of assclowns.

Off the top of my head, if price is the same, I really cant see a reason to go one over the other for 99% of combos.

But then again, I still like the OBD1 swap and the "free" Crome software lol

CK4500
02-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
AEM > Hondata.. it is infinitely more tuneable, but with that comes a need for a greater understanding of the tuning software. If you know Hondata inside out, you'll know about 20% of what AEM can do and generally that would be enough to get you by.

I am new to it all. I can safely say I don't know shit.:thumbsup:

CK4500
02-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Toma
They will most likely both do what you need. They both have data logging.

The Hondata is not really a standalone, as you are using the factory computer and altering the factor software, however, it almost acts like one with all the parameters it offers for adjustment.

I guess depends on your goals, personally the only thing I dislike about Hondata is the company itself... bunch of assclowns.

Off the top of my head, if price is the same, I really cant see a reason to go one over the other for 99% of combos.

But then again, I still like the OBD1 swap and the "free" Crome software lol

Toma, with a tune session, could you teach me how the AEM system works? I see from your sig that you know your shit on it!

My price is around $850 for the AEM and approx $650 for the Hondata. Hondata requires install. So I am pegging them around the same $$ value.

Toma
02-16-2009, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by CK4500

Toma, with a tune session, could you teach me how the AEM system works? I see from your sig that you know your shit on it!

My price is around $850 for the AEM and approx $650 for the Hondata. Hondata requires install. So I am pegging them around the same $$ value.

EEEKS!! You got that much money?? lol... actually, the basic functioning of the aem is pretty simple.... 99% of people use a basic MAP (manifold pressure) based fuel and spark table setup.

You can go to www.aempower.com check into the forums, and download the software and base files, and instructions. I cant teach you 200 pages of instructions in 2 hours... but I could just tell you what I am doing as we go....

rc2002
02-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Since there seems to be such a shortage of tuners, I would go with the one that's easier to learn on your own and that would be Hondata. The software is quite user friendly and has bug fixes since it's a profitable organization unlike Uberdata and Crome.

I also find that there is a lot more support for Hondata online, especially on the Honda forums.

Toma
02-16-2009, 01:01 PM
^^^ Shortage of tuners?? There are a dozen Dyno's in Calgary now.

But AEM support and forums are very good as well, and at least they will help you when you phone, unlike Hondata who expect you to get help from your dealer, and wont help you... and what if your dealer does not know much lol!

Toma
02-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Hey Richard...

Why is everyone hating on Crome lately? Seems like a growing trend, the newer versions seem very stable. I've tuned a ton of cars with it (including my own), and no issues.

What are guys running into?

rc2002
02-16-2009, 02:55 PM
From a professional standpoint, AEM would be the one to go to. Their dealer training seems to be more thorough. I looked into Hondata and you don't need any experience or even do any training to become a dealer/tuner.

For myself, it's been all self-learning and playing around with the software to figure it out. I've had Hondata but never used customer support because I was able to absorb the information from the forums and online sources.

When I used Crome last, it didn't have datalogging. Now it does but you have to pay for it. It also didn't have the plugins for boost and launch control plus the preset rpm rows and boost columns didn't help with usability.

I'm not sure how far it's come now. But just the fact that it was freeware meant you were at the whims of the developer. If they got busy or decided to move on (like with uberdata) then you're hooped because the bugs will never be fixed.

Toma
02-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

When I used Crome last, it didn't have datalogging. Now it does but you have to pay for it. It also didn't have the plugins for boost and launch control plus the preset rpm rows and boost columns didn't help with usability.

I'm not sure how far it's come now. But just the fact that it was freeware meant you were at the whims of the developer. If they got busy or decided to move on (like with uberdata) then you're hooped because the bugs will never be fixed.
Crome has most everything figured out. You can chose map sensors, configure non Honda TPS sensors, launch control, boost tools, fuel multipliers....

.... hell, now that I have 4 channel EGT, instead of just a heat gun, doing individual cylinder trims is cool!

And yes, you can directly edit your column values.

Hondata pissed me off twice... Once I ran into an issue we had trouble solving, they would not help.

Then, I needed software becasue I did not wanna be a dealer, but TUNE only. This to me is SUPPORT for their product. They refused to help with software unless I became a dealer.

So, you get a bit of a discount on their crap, but then you are EXPECTED to field phone calls from people needing tech support.

So, for fuck all in profit, you became their un-payed employee.

I am PROUD to have cost them $$$ in sales by getting people to buy something else, or use freeware.

blazzer
02-16-2009, 03:31 PM
so from reading threw this bassicly what your saying toma in a nut shell is "if you have the money adn are willing to learn and dont wanna run in to crap that cant really be solved"sorta" the aem unit is prbly the better way to go?? in your opinion?

legendboy
02-16-2009, 06:32 PM
the aem is alot harder to get tuned so your car drives like stock

with hondata is easy to achieve this

legendboy -> aem user for about a year

for someone new to tuning / efi, i would stick to something simple like hondata, chrome or uberdata

CK4500
02-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all the input guys.

It seems like I am leaning towards the Hondata at this point. I did some reading on the AEM system, and it's not very easy to figure out. From what I've read about Hondata, it should be less of a headache for me.

Richard, do you know anyone who can install a S300 onto my P28?!

:thumbsup:

civicsi
02-16-2009, 09:48 PM
i can install your s300, you have a pm.

rc2002
02-17-2009, 12:42 PM

Hondata pissed me off twice... Once I ran into an issue we had trouble solving, they would not help.

Then, I needed software becasue I did not wanna be a dealer, but TUNE only. This to me is SUPPORT for their product. They refused to help with software unless I became a dealer.

So, you get a bit of a discount on their crap, but then you are EXPECTED to field phone calls from people needing tech support.

So, for fuck all in profit, you became their un-payed employee.

I am PROUD to have cost them $$$ in sales by getting people to buy something else, or use freeware.

There's a lot of hate out there for Hondata. They had a lawsuit on their hands with PGMFI (which has now been shut down) and there was even a lot of friction when the company started up.

Hondata is geared towards the retailers. So it sucks for the small shops and people like yourself who just want to tune. It looks like Crome is picking up the OBD1 market niche though.

Hondata still has a bit of an edge as far as real time programming and other improvements go. They offer solutions for OBD2 applications too (K-Pro). And since they're in it for profit, the turnaround time is faster on fixes and bugs. For the consumer, it's better supported because of the availability of dealers. I still think it's expensive for what you get, but it does make life easier.

Do you have the paid version of Crome? I'd like to come check it out if possible - It sounds like it's improved quite significantly.

navdeep
02-17-2009, 01:46 PM
i had the choice of going with Hondata for Crome for my turbo prelude with built block after talking to toma and finding out i can do eveything i need done with Crome it was the right choice for me gonna be going on the dyno in the next week or two ...
thanks alot toma for the basemap

legendboy
02-17-2009, 03:36 PM
They had a lawsuit on their hands with PGMFI (which has now been shut down)

this is the original reason i HATE hondata

92gsr
02-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

+1. If I didn't use crome and decided I wanted to pay for engine management for my honda (no reason since crome works fine) I would go with ecutune.

Primer_Drift
02-17-2009, 11:11 PM

They had a lawsuit on their hands with PGMFI (which has now been shut down)

Key word is had, and PGMFI is up and running again in its entirety.

rc2002
02-17-2009, 11:31 PM
I've been out of the scene for a while now. That's good news that it's up and running now.

Still doesn't excuse what happened. One of the posters posted sensitive information - but I don't see why a forum should be held responsible for what their members post. People post iffy things here all the time.

Mr_ET
02-18-2009, 10:45 AM
OP for your needs and understanding of tuning I would recommend the S300.

If your car was a kit car with a motorcycle engine and you had wired everything custom and needed the car to be as competitive as could be then I'd look at the AEM EMS.

If the goal is to learn, never have to upgrade get the AEM EMS.

If the goal is to have a great product that can do everything you need right now, will be more user friendly to use/learn and still has a few more features than you need right now, go with the S300.

legendboy
02-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

If your car was a kit car with a motorcycle engine and you had wired everything custom and needed the car to be as competitive as could be then I'd look at the AEM EMS.

i definately wouldn't in this case. probably my last choice.

i would be looking for something like a fast or haltech. something that comes with all sensors and flying lead

Toma
02-18-2009, 04:49 PM

i definately wouldn't in this case. probably my last choice.

i would be looking for something like a fast or haltech. something that comes with all sensors and flying lead

Definately... the AEM is for plug and play IMHO, my second choice is a Haltech E8 with new harness.... or the new Platinum Sport once it proves itself..... though Haltech also has a number of 'plug and plays" via their patch loom kits.

Toma
02-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Oh, I tuned a real new Civic... like 2007 or something with the AEM. Because of the OBD2 and integrated modules, you had to run both ECU's

It ran like stock, he reported improved mileage, and his was bone stock (but is planning mods, so he started with the ECU), and it made an extra 9 hp.

legendboy
02-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Because of the OBD2 and integrated modules, you had to run both ECU's

i think thats pretty fucking cool :)

R154
02-21-2009, 10:35 PM

I agree. PGMFI was where I got my first tune.

R154
02-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Never Microtech is infinetely better then AEM. If you were to go with a full standalone.

I have got the chance to play with two.. the run time software is far more precise.

I will report back once this microtech car I am a part of is done being tuned.

I also like o34... But it is so fucking complicated.

Did either of you guys go to EFI university?

Toma, you dont co-own a shop in reed deer with dr. lightspeed do you>

CK4500
02-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by R154

Toma, you dont co-own a shop in reed deer with dr. lightspeed do you

"Dr. Lightspeed"?

Is that the shop that got turned into a parking lot?

R154
02-22-2009, 07:10 PM
No it is still around.

Perceptionist
02-22-2009, 10:05 PM
does anyone else use eCtune?

962 kid
02-22-2009, 10:11 PM

:rofl:

Revhard
02-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Hondata is at the very top for the k-series stuff, hands down.
Motec is the usual other used for race-only applications where they dump the v-tec features and want real-time and finer adjustment.
Not sure about b-series, but I have seen the free stuff like uberdata work fine.

Toma
02-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Never Microtech is infinetely better then AEM. If you were to go with a full standalone.

I have got the chance to play with two.. the run time software is far more precise.

I will report back once this microtech car I am a part of is done being tuned.

I also like o34... But it is so fucking complicated.

Did either of you guys go to EFI university?

LOL....

NO!!! I have nothing to do with lightspeed lol

I did do some tuning for Vex up there on a few cars when they needed a hand.

EFI University is for beginners.

As for Microtech.... boy oh boy... lets not go there lol ;)