PDA

View Full Version : Got in a little accident need suggestions

cjay^
02-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Hey guys, I got in a little accident not too long ago where I rear ended (if there wasn't a rule that rear ending is always the guy behinds fault I would be fighting this, long story...) some dude in his ooo so special 2009 Honda Fit (lol).

Basically this dude thinks his ride is the bomb and was trying to tell me it would be $2000 for repairs and all this nonsense when it turned out to be $889. Good one buddy, I tapped you going 5km/h champ.

Anyway, I have decided to settle it outside of insurance, since $800 is nothing compared to the $800 a year insurance hike for the next 4 years if I did, and everything went okay except for one detail. The buddy is demanding I get him the premium rental car for the 6 days his car will be fixed (he booked it on a thursday of course so he will need it for the weekend :banghead: ) but I am claiming he is out a cheapass economy car so thats what he is entitled to in return.

Who is right?

Willie Bobo
02-15-2009, 05:26 PM
dude has you by the balls if you don't want to claim this through insurance. suck it up, pay the rental, and uh, watch where you're going.

and judging by your attitude in the above post, the guy is probably just doing this to spite you. try not to be such a condescending prick next time.

Jim Rome99
02-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Willie Bobo
dude has you by the balls if you don't want to claim this through insurance. suck it up, pay the rental, and uh, watch where you're going.

Word. Pay the man. You made the mistake by tailgating him, now be a man and pay up for your mistake.

cjay^
02-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Jim Rome99

Word. Pay the man. You made the mistake by tailgating him, now be a man and pay up for your mistake.

Lol I wasn't tailgating him for one, he had already started turning right when he decided to stop at the very last minute for a car that was at least 5 seconds away. How do I know this? I was shoulder checking when I bumped his ass.

Only reason this is a problem for me is because when I talked to my insurance company they said if he did make a claim, he would only be entitled to a comparable vehicle and if he wanted premium he was responsible for the difference.

TACO.VIDAL
02-15-2009, 05:35 PM
did you rear end him with your 15+ yr old jdm and your making fun of a fit?

pay for the rental or go thru insurance. you sound like the cheapa$$

Originally posted by cjay^
Hey guys, I got in a little accident not too long ago where I rear ended (if there wasn't a rule that rear ending is always the guy behinds fault I would be fighting this, long story...) some dude in his ooo so special 2009 Honda Fit (lol).

Basically this dude thinks his ride is the bomb and was trying to tell me it would be $2000 for repairs and all this nonsense when it turned out to be $889. Good one buddy, I tapped you going 5km/h champ.

Anyway, I have decided to settle it outside of insurance, since $800 is nothing compared to the $800 a year insurance hike for the next 4 years if I did, and everything went okay except for one detail. The buddy is demanding I get him the premium rental car for the 6 days his car will be fixed (he booked it on a thursday of course so he will need it for the weekend :banghead: ) but I am claiming he is out a cheapass economy car so thats what he is entitled to in return.

Who is right?

krazykhoja
02-15-2009, 05:36 PM

Only reason this is a problem for me is because when I talked to my insurance company they said if he did make a claim, he would only be entitled to a comparable vehicle and if he wanted premium he was responsible for the difference.

The problem is that no claim is being made...even paying for the premium rental car for the 6 days is still cheaper in the long run than the hike in insurance you would have otherwise. It sucks. but pay it and be happy you dont pay higher premiums...also in the future just keep a little extra room as well...just b/c you never know how what the other person is/is not thinking...better safe than sorry

Jim Rome99
02-15-2009, 05:38 PM

Lol I wasn't tailgating him for one, he had already starting turning right when he decided to stop at the very last minute for a car that was at least 5 seconds away. How do I know this? I was shoulder checking when I bumped his ass.

You need to learn how to drive. From the sounds of it you shouldn't even be out there on the road. Shoulder checking when already committed to making a turn? Are you kidding?

Forget bitching about paying for his car rental. You should just be glad that you didn't kill someone.

Grogador
02-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by krazykhoja
The problem is that no claim is being made...even paying for the premium rental car for the 6 days is still cheaper in the long run than the hike in insurance you would have otherwise. It sucks. but pay it and be happy you dont pay higher premiums...also in the future just keep a little extra room as well...just b/c you never know how what the other person is/is not thinking...better safe than sorry

Werd. Get it all in writing too, or else he could just keep milking you... Well I guess it's hard to file a claim once the damage is fixed, but still...

r0g3r
02-15-2009, 05:49 PM
sounds like your one of those guys that love to make sudden lane changes when the car in front of you is slowing down to make a right turn....

then...

it turns out your not as fast and furious as you think and 'bumped his ass'.

by the way you wrote your post, you like an ass and hes probably doing it out of spite.

pay up:banghead:

cjay^
02-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL
did you rear end him with your 15+ yr old jdm and your making fun of a fit?

pay for the rental or go thru insurance. you sound like the cheapa$$

No I don't drive my JDM when I can have it in a heated garage while I drive one of my two FWDs that I don't care as much about. Good reason for a JDM front end? I think so.

Jesus christ guys cut me some slack, I'll bet im getting flamed all because a rhd car is in my sig and you assume I drive like a douche. While in 2 years as of April, (i got my license when i turned 16) this is my first at fault accident, shit I havent even had a single ticket, yet apparently rolling into somebody that stopped with their nose half way into the the lane they were trying to turn into makes me the bad driver.

Call me a cheapass, but maybe thats the reason I am 17 and own 3 of my own cars and the money to keep them all as projects, and no daddy didn't pay for any of them.

Lol. :zzz:

To those who didn't criticize, it probably would be a good idea to get it in writing just to be safe.

badatusrnames
02-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Lol at the perfect beyond angels in this thread... "be glad you didn't kill someone" that's a little melodramatic for a low speed bumper tap. But to the OP, the accident it still 100% your fault. You made an assumption about what another driver was going to do and got burned.

OP, he's pretty much got you by the balls and is being a dick and milking you for everything. But if what he wants is still cheaper in the long run than going through insurance, what else can you really do? You've got to pay up.

06civic
02-15-2009, 06:41 PM
His fit is probably worth more than all your cars

Team_Mclaren
02-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by 06civic

QFT:rofl: :rofl: those fits are fucking expensive nowdays. I'd be pissed too if someone bump into my brand new 09.

cjay^
02-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by 06civic

HAHA good one.

:facepalm:

I sure hope a thirty something grown man drives something worth more than $15000. I guess the whole part about me being 17 went over your head. Chances are he leased it anyway :rolleyes:

Just to clear it up, I felt really bad at the time, I mean thats going to hurt resale on his brand new car that he probably hasnt had time to enjoy yet. So what do I do? be as easy to deal with as possible, return emails same day, pay up front for the repairs (the car isnt booked for 2 months, yet the balance has been paid as of a week ago) as well as apologize several times. What does he do? nickel and dime the shit out of me.

sr20s14zenki
02-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Hope you had him sign something that says he wont go to insurance after the balance is paid. Ive heard of people taking the money, THEN going to insurance.

Team_Mclaren
02-15-2009, 07:26 PM

HAHA good one.

I sure hope a thirty something grown man drives something worth more than $15000. I guess the whole part about me being 17 went over your head. Chances are he leased it anyway :rolleyes:

Just to clear it up, I felt really bad at the time, I mean thats going to hurt resale on his brand new car that he probably hasnt had time to enjoy yet. So what do I do? be as easy to deal with as possible, return emails same day, pay up front for the repairs (the car isnt booked for 2 months, yet the balance has been paid as of a week ago) as well as apologize several times. What does he do? nickel and dime the shit out of me. '

what do you expect him to do? go through insurance? he is doing you a favor.

cjay^
02-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Hope you had him sign something that says he wont go to insurance after the balance is paid. Ive heard of people taking the money, THEN going to insurance.

Hey evan lol

but yeah I paid by credit card so he doesn't actually see any cash out of the deal so chances are my end is covered. If he decided to go through insurance in the end the credit card would be refunded, or I could do a chargeback.

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
'

what do you expect him to do? go through insurance? he is doing you a favor.

Not really the point I am trying to make here, if he was out big luxurious car for the 6 days it would be fine, but the problem I am having is paying the extra $150 so he can get a fancy car, plus the fact he booked the car on the Thursday when Monday and Tuesday were available so he would need the rental car for an extra 2 days as the repair takes 4.

sr20s14zenki
02-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Yah, just be weary. I had a nice 5 km/hr hit once too, some lady in airdrie, decided to slam on her brakes for no reason, nobody in front of her, nobody in the intersection, so, i had just released my clutch, so, like 3k/hr. There was a 3/16th inch scratch on her bumper, i said get some estimates, and ill take care of it. She said ya no problem, but what did i find out a week later, she went thru insurance and claimed whiplash. I understand everybody has different sensitivities, but i find it hard to believe she got hurt at 3k/hr. Whatever, lesson learned.

To show how i am when people hit my car, i got hit not more than a month ago. Cop decided he was going to pull somebody over right in the middle of the merge lane(stupid prick) so everybody had to slow down and go around. A guy behind me was stupid and hit his brakes too late and smoked me pretty hard. It was enough force to make my deck come out of my dash (it was in the bracked but not "clicked") and knocked my bumper off the clip. I got out, looked, put the bumper back on the clip, looked at his car, no visible damage. I said "have a nice day, pay attention next time" and left.

cjay^
02-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Yah, just be weary. I had a nice 5 km/hr hit once too, some lady in airdrie, decided to slam on her brakes for no reason, nobody in front of her, nobody in the intersection, so, i had just released my clutch, so, like 3k/hr. There was a 3/16th inch scratch on her bumper, i said get some estimates, and ill take care of it. She said ya no problem, but what did i find out a week later, she went thru insurance and claimed whiplash. I understand everybody has different sensitivities, but i find it hard to believe she got hurt at 3k/hr. Whatever, lesson learned.

Yeah I am just glad I didn't hurt the guy, because I would have an even bigger headache when all is said and done. Your story sounds exactly like mine, I don't even think I had completely let out the clutch lol, I was inching up. His bumper wasn't even scratched but the 1 cm crack made it pretty obvious I had to buy him a new bumper.

msommers
02-15-2009, 07:48 PM
The cost to his vehicle isn't surprising.

Just shortly after I got my license, I hit a patch of black ice and tapped a guy in the back of his van. Our car, didn't even have a god damn scratch on the front bumper, but his rear bumper looked like I was driving 100km/h into his ass. Rear ends are designed to crumple and absorb any energy. There is a ton of shit to replace and repaint when you hit the rear end, surprised the hell outta me anyways.

We decided that I would give him a certified cheque, instead of filing a claim, after he showed me estimate from the dealership which included extra for a car rental. Once he had the cheque, I had copies for both of us, signed and dated, that this matter was settled in its entirety, explicitly noting he is healthy and content with the outcome.

MAKE SURE YOU GET THIS DONE. I realize you're paying by credit card but do yourself a favor and cover your ass 100%.

And pay the premium car rental.

TACO.VIDAL
02-15-2009, 08:22 PM
why the jealously of "daddy bought your car" from all the haters?

as much as i hate jdm punks, i hate the jealous northeasters who hate on anyone who has a car nicer than their step-dads 1998 F150.

OP, i still think your at fault but dont deserve all the hate.

topher91
02-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Show me a pic of the damage.

7thgenvic
02-15-2009, 09:01 PM
I don't get what all the hate is about...FUCKING BEYOND bandwagon.

Ya its your fault, but you should make sure you cover all your options like you are currently doing. I had a similar experience, but with a older 1982 bronco and there was hardly any damage and in the end he wanted $2000 to fix the hatch on his car and I refused. When I said I would go through insurance they said they would write-off his car and my deductible on my work truck was only $1000. In the end I paid him 500 and called it a day.

See if you can cut back the rental or reschedule the body shop.

anaconda28
02-16-2009, 06:52 AM

Not really the point I am trying to make here, if he was out big luxurious car for the 6 days it would be fine, but the problem I am having is paying the extra $150 so he can get a fancy car,

I was kind of hearing what cjay was saying to a point until I read this. You cheap bastard, just pay the extra $150 and be done with it.

cjay^
02-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by anaconda28

I was kind of hearing what cjay was saying to a point until I read this. You cheap bastard, just pay the extra $150 and be done with it.

Lol, if you read one of my previous posts you will find how I respond to being called cheap.

Also look at it from another perspective. Not only did he intentionally (I am 90% sure of this) book the car on a day that he would need the car for an additional 2 days because of the weekend, he wants a car way nice than he is entitled to. This adds up to about an extra $250, and for an accident that COULD only end up costing around $1000 even, it now costs $1250, or 25% more than before. 25% is a pretty big amount all things considered.

I love how all the people that try and hate are the people with 0.01 posts per day or similar. Good to see you are making good contributions to the forum. :thumbsdow

Zephyr
02-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Just pay and let it be done with. Less stress later on

Deville
02-16-2009, 04:09 PM

Also look at it from another perspective. Not only did he intentionally (I am 90% sure of this) book the car on a day that he would need the car for an additional 2 days because of the weekend, he wants a car way nice than he is entitled to. This adds up to about an extra $250, and for an accident that COULD only end up costing around $1000 even, it now costs $1250, or 25% more than before. 25% is a pretty big amount all things considered.

I love how all the people that try and hate are the people with 0.01 posts per day or similar. Good to see you are making good contributions to the forum. :thumbsdow

I realize your not happy because you feel like you are being nickle n dimed, but the truth is you are at fault almost no matter what because you rear ended him.

You asked for everyones help and advice and they are giving it to you. What everyone is basically trying to tell you is just suck it up and pay, or go through insurance because unfortunately for you it is about the only 2 options you have.

Your also looking at it with a bit of a shallow perspective. Your complaining he booked it on such and such a day meaning you have to pay 2 extra days etc.

First I highly doubt he deliberately booked it like this, it was most likely the body shop, and second. You have to realize this is an inconvenience for this guy as well, and his time for dropping his car at the shop, picking it up and any other fucking around he might have to do, etc. is worth something to. Nobody's time is free, I'm sure he has other things he would rather be doing with his day.

Maybe he is just an asshole trying to get as much as he can from you, I don't know but your probably better off just paying and learning from it.

BTW, I was in an accident just like the one you described years ago and I learned from it. The guy stopped for no reason in a merge and I just tapped his bumper, him and his mom tried to claim whiplash etc etc.

Anyways, regardless it was still my fault, and I learned to be more careful, I am sure you'll do the same.

kertejud2
02-16-2009, 04:21 PM

Lol, if you read one of my previous posts you will find how I respond to being called cheap.

Yeah, you respond like a douchebag, which is why you're not getting much support.

Regardless of whether or not you think he's doing it deliberately or whether or not you feel he's entitled to a certain car, the extra 25% is nothing compared to the X% insurance increase every year (on all your cars) and that this guy, even though you feel he's taking advantage of you, is doing you a big favor by settling outside insurance, and that he'd rather not be driving a rental, even if it is a step up.