PDA

View Full Version : insurance question

bblkwok
02-15-2009, 10:15 PM
...am a new driver, and crashed a car from behind today afternoon...was my fault... the other car had just very minimal damage (not even saw it)...we settled for some hundreds....but I totally forgot write down the guys' license plate and insurance number...

is that safe to me?

I paid him a check so I had his name only.

rumeo
02-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Did you get a letter in writing saying that the it was settled on the side instead of insurance?

Masked Bandit
02-16-2009, 12:29 AM
You should have drafted a letter stating that in exchange for whatever payment you agreed to, he would not come back after you later.

At the very least, get the cancelled cheque from the bank once it clears.

Zewind
02-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Stop payment?

I dont know... Please anyone that reads this, never admit fault, never payout of your pocket. This is what your insurance is for.

Masked Bandit
02-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Zewind

I dont know... Please anyone that reads this, never admit fault, never payout of your pocket. This is what your insurance is for.

Bad idea. Sometimes (if done right) it is better to pay out of pocket. Generally speaking, if you are at-fault for an accident and the damage (total) is less than $1000, you are cheaper off in the long run to pay out of pocket.

bblkwok
02-17-2009, 01:54 PM
I should have things be more clear...we did not exchange any info or whatsoever...so he never got my insurance number nor license plate either. i.e. he just got money and left.

Masked Bandit
02-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by bblkwok
I should have things be more clear...we did not exchange any info or whatsoever...so he never got my insurance number nor license plate either. i.e. he just got money and left.

You'll probably be okay then.

Zero102
02-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Wow, agreeing on a price for the damage on the side of the road. There's a stand-up guy for you.

You're probably safe. Legally he still has every right to pursue you for damage to his vehicle but he'll have a tricky time tracking you and your insurance company down so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Usually the types of people who will take a cheque on the side of the road will also just leave it at this point.

Next time, get his info, offer to pay out of pocket for the damages if you like, and make sure you draft up a letter stating he is waiving any right to future claims as a result of this incident, get him to sign it and make sure you keep that letter. If he ever goes to your insurance company this will save your ass. This advice isn't just for you, it is for everybody.

bblkwok
02-18-2009, 12:35 AM
ya...I just realized that I might not did things right...but I had a security witness for us since he lent a pen to me...I hope this might be fine thou...unless he memorized my license plate otherwise he cannot get me info I suppose. This is what I wonder.