PDA

View Full Version : buckwheat hulls?

smc
02-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Anyone know where I can get ~2kg of buckwheat hulls in Calgary?

Thanks

nonlinear
02-16-2009, 03:43 PM
haha, are you growing drugs :nut:

j/k but what are you using them for (that might help people narrow down where you could find those).

are they used for cooking or baking? i would check the bulk section at superstore, or that bulk spice store on MacLeod near southcentre. if neither of those places have it, try calling some of the hippy grocery stores.

unless you are using it for growing something (?), call sunnyside or quick row, or a feed store.

Ashers
02-16-2009, 04:23 PM
It's used for filling bean bags, and I think I heard it could be used for media blasting? :dunno:

smc
02-16-2009, 07:13 PM
I am going on safari, and I want a light wight fill for a bean bag type camera support.

I tried superstore without luck. Since it is just the hulls I don't think they are used in cooking.

I will try sunnyside tomorrow.

smc
02-17-2009, 11:08 AM
None of the garden/hardware stores carry Buckwheat hulls. Community Natural foods does carry this item, but only in huge bulk quantities 50kg (too much for me). Are there other stores like Community Natural foods that might carry Buckwheat in smaller volumes?

nonlinear
02-17-2009, 11:27 AM
so you're making a little bean bag, basically? to set your camera on to take pictures?

why don't you just use rice or beans? not sure what would happen if those got wet. what about those cheap plastic beads you can get at dollar stores, etc. that kids make bracelets and neckolaces out of? those same beads that napolean dynamite's girlfriend made the key fobs from.

scat19
02-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Isn't that food and cant be taken on a flight?

smc
02-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
so you're making a little bean bag, basically? to set your camera on to take pictures?

why don't you just use rice or beans? not sure what would happen if those got wet. what about those cheap plastic beads you can get at dollar stores, etc. that kids make bracelets and neckolaces out of? those same beads that napolean dynamite's girlfriend made the key fobs from.

Rice is rather heavy, light (hollow) plastic beads could work if I can find some.

DeeK
02-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Hulls? or husks? I've never heard of buckwheat hulls before.

smc
02-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Buckwheat hulls are their husks.

nonlinear
02-19-2009, 11:00 AM
when i was a kid, you could buy these cheap toy guns that shot really lightweight yellow plastic balls... those would probably work well, if you could find those guns somewhere.

z24_wheels
02-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Plastic resin pellets would work. Density around .92, not sure if that is light enough for you. PM if you want some.