PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha R6 battery question

ruggedboy
02-16-2009, 05:18 PM
This is a noob question,

I just got a 06 Yamaha R6, but I can't start it. When the bike arrived in my garaged, tried to start it, the noise sounded like "battery isn't strong enough to start the engine", so I tried again a day and two days later, and the sound sounds like "clicking in the rear seat" after and sounds like the battery is completely dead.

When I first looked at the bike, the bike started fine with no problem but after it was delivered a week later in the cold it didn't seem to want to start up.

I want to start the bike once a week, but at this rate it I can't even start it at all.

If the battery is completely dead, can I just get a battery tender and charge it? or do I have to get a totally new battery?

hrdkore
02-17-2009, 11:43 AM
do you have a car?? just boost start it.. basically connect your car battery to the bike battery.. but dont' start the car. try to start your bike.. it shoudl work, but you then need to go for a ride.. maintin speedn about 60-80kph for about 15 mins.. and it shoudl charge the battery. Option B.. get a batt charger..

HHURICANE1
02-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Get a battery charger, you're going to need one anyways. Don't use the vehicle to charge a dead battery, it is very hard on the alternator/generator. Get a float charger meant for motorcycles (car ones are too high amperage) and your battery will last much longer.

oster
02-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Get a low amperage charger meant for smaller machines, see if that works. There is a good chance you might need a new battery tho. 100-120$

_wrx_
02-17-2009, 12:07 PM
i have the same problem in winter, all i do is hook up a booster pack boost it and let is run for 30 minutes, the battery is small so it doesn't keep a charge well. i would suggest you ride the bike around since the RPM is relatively low at idle

ruggedboy
02-17-2009, 10:23 PM
I got a battery charger that has a 2 amp and 6 amp charge option. Charged it up for an hour and the bike ran.

Im not sure how long a bike should idle for.