PDA

View Full Version : rofl @ House Hunters on HGTV

BigMass
02-16-2009, 08:31 PM
man anyone ever watch this crap on HGTV? Just watched a few episodes (i was bored) and some of this shit is a riot.

Episode 1) Single woman just out of school in San Francisco is looking for a run down 400sqft apartment with a $500,000 budget

Episode 2) Working couple in Texas looking for 2400sqft brand new - done up - mansion for $140,000. They found a house for $150,000 but it was "too much".

LMAO?

I was wanting to go through my TV screen and grab those guys and yell "ITS ONLY 10,000 freaking dollars you welfare cases". A house like that would cost $1,000,000 in Calgary even and they're bitching about 10k lol.

Oh oh oh, to top it off they had zero downpayment. And yes they both had jobs. What is this world coming to. I mean, %5 on $150k is only $7500. Is that too much to ask for when buying a mansion? Guess in Texas/America it is.

I wish people in China could watch this show and see the type of people and society they're working for while living in small run down shacks.

JordanLotoski
02-16-2009, 08:39 PM
hahah yeah i always watch that show...pisses me off they make people think open houses sell homes...BULLSHIT (5%-8% of the time)

I saw one where some couple was looking in the caribbean, their budget was 1,000,000..the realtor was showing them homes 1.5-2.5 mill...they ended up spending like 2.3 million....Just a tad over budget

BigMass
02-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
hahah yeah i always watch that show...pisses me off they make people think open houses sell homes...BULLSHIT (5%-8% of the time)

I saw one where some couple was looking in the caribbean, their budget was 1,000,000..the realtor was showing them homes 1.5-2.5 mill...they ended up spending like 2.3 million....Just a tad over budget

yeah that show that they fix a house for $2000 and then do an Open House... What they fail to mention is the extra $10,000 they spend on labour for 10 guys to do the renos in 1 day and the staging. Also the fact that those open houses probably get way more publicity than normal ones.

TomK
02-17-2009, 10:35 AM
You think that's good?

Try a show called "Buy Me" on HGTV. It will give you a new sympathy for what Realtors have to go through dealing with people.

- The guy with the Star Trek Enterprise chandelier in his dining room who refuses to take it down for showings.

- The family that put a hot tub in their dining nook and think that is a selling feature.

- The people refuse to lower their price even though the better home next door won't sell for less than they are asking.

You might enjoy the human drama because you sense the sellers are actually suffering because of their stupidity.

Good times....

Canmorite
02-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Watching the "Flip-it" shows now are hilarious. The prices they were selling at are long gone, and you wonder if they're still solvent :rofl:

blitz
02-17-2009, 10:55 AM
[i]Episode 2) Working couple in Texas looking for 2400sqft brand new - done up - mansion for $140,000. They found a house for $150,000 but it was "too much".

LMAO?

I was wanting to go through my TV screen and grab those guys and yell "ITS ONLY 10,000 freaking dollars you welfare cases". A house like that would cost $1,000,000 in Calgary even and they're bitching about 10k lol.

Oh oh oh, to top it off they had zero downpayment. And yes they both had jobs. What is this world coming to. I mean, %5 on $150k is only $7500. Is that too much to ask for when buying a mansion? Guess in Texas/America it is. [/B]

So you want them to spend the extra $10k when they are doing 0% down and probably can't even afford the 140k?

ZorroAMG
02-17-2009, 10:56 AM
You guys DO realize that the show pays for a lot of the renos and workers right? If some douche came up to me and said I want to film you buying a house, renovating it and flipping it and broadcast it on HGTV, you bet your ass I'd say "what do I get out of it" and the return better be free renos etc.

The show gets ratings and makes money by finding subjects, just like how it costs $1,000,000 for an episode of 24, the network gets it back plus profit in ratings/viewers/ads.

BigMass
02-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by blitz

So you want them to spend the extra $10k when they are doing 0% down and probably can't even afford the 140k?

Good point, let me explain. When the bank gives you free money you wouldnt take it?

If i could get a house now with zero down and %3 mortgage i'd do it and spend every last cent the bank would give me. The risk is all on the bank. If house prices plunge i just walk away and have risked nothing. If house prices go up, i reap all the benefit.

Now you see how we got into this mess.

mac_82
02-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
You guys DO realize that the show pays for a lot of the renos and workers right? If some douche came up to me and said I want to film you buying a house, renovating it and flipping it and broadcast it on HGTV, you bet your ass I'd say "what do I get out of it" and the return better be free renos etc.

The show gets ratings and makes money by finding subjects, just like how it costs $1,000,000 for an episode of 24, the network gets it back plus profit in ratings/viewers/ads.

There are a lot of shows filmed in and around Toronto. Typically they offer to match you dollar for dollar for materials, and they cover the labour. So you have $5k for material, they match your $5k, and they do all the work. They advertise on the Toronto Craigslist for homeowners all the time. The bigger budget shows tend to cover 100% of the cost.

ZorroAMG
02-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I wasn't 100% on the structure but I know there is big subsidy...

Thanks for the info..

Masked Bandit
02-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

Good point, let me explain. When the bank gives you free money you wouldnt take it?

If i could get a house now with zero down and %3 mortgage i'd do it and spend every last cent the bank would give me. The risk is all on the bank. If house prices plunge i just walk away and have risked nothing. If house prices go up, i reap all the benefit.

Now you see how we got into this mess.

The risk is not all on the bank. What do you think defaulting on a mortgage does to your credit (for at least seven years)?

Masked Bandit
02-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by TomK
You think that's good?

Try a show called "Buy Me" on HGTV. It will give you a new sympathy for what Realtors have to go through dealing with people.

- The family that put a hot tub in their dining nook and think that is a selling feature.

I actually know someone who bought a house with the hot tub off the kitchen / in the nook set up. It's just covered now and they use the room as a greenhouse / plant room but it is there.

Jlude
02-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
man anyone ever watch this crap on HGTV? Just watched a few episodes (i was bored) and some of this shit is a riot.

Episode 1) Single woman just out of school in San Francisco is looking for a run down 400sqft apartment with a $500,000 budget

Episode 2) Working couple in Texas looking for 2400sqft brand new - done up - mansion for $140,000. They found a house for $150,000 but it was "too much".

LMAO?

Oh oh oh, to top it off they had zero downpayment. And yes they both had jobs. What is this world coming to. I mean, %5 on $150k is only $7500. Is that too much to ask for when buying a mansion? Guess in Texas/America it is.

I wish people in China could watch this show and see the type of people and society they're working for while living in small run down shacks.

San Fran is typical to that... expensive... I know guys who pay a grand a month just for parking.

As for the Texas couple. I don't know what their situations were, (Maybe it stated what they were making per year) but I know from personal experience, Texas was one state where I would get tons and tons of shitty job offers. Not just one company either, numerous companies throughout different areas. So, perhaps they just don't make that much money to be comfortable paying the extra 10k for the house. They're probably in a position where the 140k is already strecthing them thin.

BigMass
02-17-2009, 04:55 PM
I still can't believe how much more expensive Vancouver and Toronto are compared to Calgary. Those are the markets i'd really be worried about. The price increase in Calgary made much more sense during the boom than it did in those places.

Watching Property Virgins i see SFH there average closer to $500k. And their economy is no where near where ours is.

ee2k
02-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

San Fran is typical to that... expensive... I know guys who pay a grand a month just for parking.

As for the Texas couple. I don't know what their situations were, (Maybe it stated what they were making per year) but I know from personal experience, Texas was one state where I would get tons and tons of shitty job offers. Not just one company either, numerous companies throughout different areas. So, perhaps they just don't make that much money to be comfortable paying the extra 10k for the house. They're probably in a position where the 140k is already strecthing them thin.

The jobs may be the exact same thing you are doing here (ie not shitty, assuming that you like your job), perhaps even the same employer, but it pays a lot less in Texas. Cost of living in Texas is much lower than many places in the US. $75K gets you a spiffy townhouse in Dallas or Houston.

Here's what $150K gets you, 10 minutes from downtown Dallas: http://www.newhomesource.com/homegain/homedetail/refer-hgfeed/planid-392400

JAYMEZ
02-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT

You best be not gettin any crazy ideas there!! lol .. Or im screweeedd

EvolutionI
02-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by ee2k

The jobs may be the exact same thing you are doing here (ie not shitty, assuming that you like your job), perhaps even the same employer, but it pays a lot less in Texas. Cost of living in Texas is much lower than many places in the US. $75K gets you a spiffy townhouse in Dallas or Houston.

Here's what $150K gets you, 10 minutes from downtown Dallas: http://www.newhomesource.com/homegain/homedetail/refer-hgfeed/planid-392400

When I leave this crap-hole province, I know where I'm going. Cheap houses, and can actually drive a nice car year-round?

JordanLotoski
02-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ

You best be not gettin any crazy ideas there!! lol .. Or im screweeedd

You said your budget wasss...ummm 1.5 didnt you?:D

ee2k
02-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by EvolutionI

When I leave this crap-hole province, I know where I'm going. Cheap houses, and can actually drive a nice car year-round?

lol someone has an exit strategy.

atgilchrist
02-20-2009, 08:35 PM
He did leave it with a question mark, so maybe he's doubting himself...

Mixalot27
02-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Florida has some dirt cheap Real Estate prices right now too. I recently stayed in a 2000sq/ft 4 bedroom house with private pool and hot tub, in Orlando. Really nice area and big lot backing onto a wilderness preserve. These houses are selling for around 200k.

Rat Fink
02-22-2009, 11:07 AM