PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for accident outside of Alberta

AutodreamMarvin
02-17-2009, 01:12 AM
I just got into an accident in B.C. and need some advice on what to do next.

BACKGROUND INFO:
I'm here in B.C. temporarily as a student. My license, registration, and insurance is for Alberta(insurance company knows).

My car was hit about a week ago in a parking lot. 100% other parties fault - car was parked, no one inside.

She is going through ICBC(her insurance company) to claim as she cannot pay cash for the damages.

I've gone to ICBC with the claim number she has given me, and they told me that I need to speak to MY insurance company first.

I called my insurance company and they said that they do not need to get involved as the other party was 100% at fault.

Now, I really don't have the time nor patience to go back and forth to each company, and I just want this resolved. I am at the point where I'm going to blow a fuse if I have to go to the ICBC claim center AGAIN to get my damages repaired.

My question is, for those who have been in a similar situation, what course of action did you take, and what was the outcome? Also, if anyone has any insight as to the PROPER way of addressing this very stupid problem without having to resort to a Christian Bale-esque altercation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Xtrema
02-17-2009, 01:25 AM
Let me guess, you only have PLPD?

If you do and your insurance company is refusing to help you, going Christian Bale @ ICBC is probably your only option.

Masked Bandit
02-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Assuming you only have PLPD, you will need to deal directly with ICBC. You will probably need to speak with a manager / supervisor to get this rolling as they (ICBC) are not used to dealing directly with the client / individual.

Zero102
02-17-2009, 01:14 PM
I went through almost this EXACT situation.

Call ICBC back, tell them that you have spoken to your insurance company, you do _NOT_ have collision coverage so they have instructed you to deal directly with ICBC. They will argue a little bit, but they know this is the correct process, they are just trying to scare you off, they will cave and deal with you.

Since you are in BC, they will then ask you to take it to an ICBC claims center so they can examine the vehicle and appraise the damage. You will meet some of the worst people in the world during this phase. I'll spare you the details, but expect them to down-play every single thing, and then try to blame you for it all. If you let them take so much as an inch on this part of the process you will be sorry later.

After this you head off to an ICBC approved body shop, they pay the shop directly and you end up with a repaired vehicle. If you want to go to an independent body shop, expect ICBC to fight tooth and nail over every penny on the bill, but you may eventually win this way as well, its just a lot harder.

AutodreamMarvin
02-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Assuming you only have PLPD, you will need to deal directly with ICBC. You will probably need to speak with a manager / supervisor to get this rolling as they (ICBC) are not used to dealing directly with the client / individual.

Originally posted by Zero102
I went through almost this EXACT situation.

Call ICBC back, tell them that you have spoken to your insurance company, you do _NOT_ have collision coverage so they have instructed you to deal directly with ICBC. They will argue a little bit, but they know this is the correct process, they are just trying to scare you off, they will cave and deal with you.

Since you are in BC, they will then ask you to take it to an ICBC claims center so they can examine the vehicle and appraise the damage. You will meet some of the worst people in the world during this phase. I'll spare you the details, but expect them to down-play every single thing, and then try to blame you for it all. If you let them take so much as an inch on this part of the process you will be sorry later.

After this you head off to an ICBC approved body shop, they pay the shop directly and you end up with a repaired vehicle. If you want to go to an independent body shop, expect ICBC to fight tooth and nail over every penny on the bill, but you may eventually win this way as well, its just a lot harder.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the input!