PDA

View Full Version : Disassembling Bow Flex help

rumeo
02-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Hey guys,

Couple months ago my parents bought a bowflex and had Fitness Depot (I think it was them) install it for us. After freeing up some space in the basement I'd like to move it there, problem is when they installed it they used some adhesive for the screws and it's almost impossible to disassemble it. I didn't want to use any kind of power tools just incase I wreck it, what can I use to weaken the adhesive?

Sorry if this is pretty vague and TIA

Tik-Tok
02-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Sounds like they used loctite, or something similar, do you know what colour it was?

yue
02-17-2009, 03:09 PM
have you tried using a wrench in addition to the alan key?
tried calling fitness depot and asking them about the adhesive?

rumeo
02-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Sounds like they used loctite, or something similar, do you know what colour it was?

Unfortunately, I wasn't there when they installed it so I cannot say. How does one get rid of the loctite?

Originally posted by yue
have you tried using a wrench in addition to the alan key?
tried calling fitness depot and asking them about the adhesive?

Fitness depot is just what my parents said, they dont quite remember so I'm just waiting for them to give me the receipt to find out where it was from. Tried wrench with allen key, still too tight.

Tik-Tok
02-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by rumeo

Unfortunately, I wasn't there when they installed it so I cannot say. How does one get rid of the loctite?

I use heat at work... but then I'm not working on stuff that needs to stay pretty, lol. I don't know what the paint is like on a bowflex, but if it's bare metal, I'd use a mini-butane torch on the bolts for a few seconds at a time to heat it up, then wrench it.

edit: Also use a hex bit with a ratchet, it will give you more leverage than a dinky alan key.

yue
02-17-2009, 03:17 PM
if it is loctite try henkel's msds
http://www.henkelcamsds.com/